1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
123 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Copyied from an outher site

Minimum sizes, open seasons affected

By Daniel Nee

Anglers targeting tautog, commonly known as "tog" or blackfish, will face more stringent regulations on the species following a decision made Thursday by the state Marine Fisheries Council.

Federal regulators ordered New Jersey officials to reduce the recreational harvest of the popular food and sport fish by 53 percent, and council members complied by reducing the length of the open season on the species, as well as upping the minimum size limit.

"There's no good option," said council member Dr. Patrick F. Donnelly, of Brick.

The council met in Galloway Township Thursday to vote on a plan to reduce the annual harvest.

"We cut out of every season, a little bit here, a little bit there," he said.

In the end, council members approved a relatively complicated slate of regulations for blackfish, which opens and closes the seasons multiple times per year. The size limit will remain at 15 inches all year long, up from the current minimum size of 14 inches. Anglers will also be able to take fewer fish home.

The regulations approved are:

Date/Season

Size Limit

Bag (Possession) Limit

Jan. 1 - Feb. 28

15 inches

4 fish

March

CLOSED

April

15 inches

4 fish

May 1 - July 26

CLOSED

July 27 - Aug. 30

15 inches

1 fish

Sept. 1 - Oct. 17

CLOSED

Oct. 18 - Nov. 15

15 inches

1 fish

Nov. 16 - Dec. 31

15 inches

4 fish

The new regulations did not sit well with local party and charter boat captains, who said the reduction in season length, as well as the possession limit, could cost business in already troubled economic times.

"The customers are so used to having two more fish, and now we're going down to four," said Captain Ken Namowitz of the Mimi VI party boat, which sails from Point Pleasant Beach. "For us to get that one extra fish is a livelihood."

Other skippers decried the fact that boats from New York routinely fish in New Jersey's waters, including commercial vessels, affecting the local blackfish populations.

"We're getting a lot of hell from the New York sector. There's zero enforcement going on," said Capt. Chris Hueth of the Big Mohawk party boat, which sails from Belmar. "Their season is closed right now, and they're still fishing. What's taking place in the ocean, and I'm there everyday, is nuts. Guys are commercially fishing this stuff, and bringing it back to New York."

"We're getting penalized for somebody else's greed," Hueth added.

For now, there's no going back. The council has approved the regulations, which were required to be in place Jan. 1, according to Gilbert H. Ewing, the council president. Donnelly said the state council had few options after the edict issued by federal regulators to cut the harvest.

"We tried to maintain that fourth fish," Donnelly said.

·
Registered
6,198 Posts
Why not just shut it down from May 1 to Oct 1 and call it a day? This is stupid. Is that 1 fish going to make or break a trip. I know if the seeason is shut down for 5 mo we may NEVER get it back but jees. Who wants to think, can I keep it this mo??? just my opinion. I think it totally sucks:thumbsdown:

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
whats wrong is the different seasons for us 3 close states.. ny nj and de.. there all so way off base with each other.. but i def dont want the fed to get involved.. maybe during the one fish season make it a tag.. use the money to build more reefs.. but we all know that wont happen.. dont get me wrong i know tog take a long time to grow... so close down the 1 fish per person seasons.. i dont mind the 15in fish but we all know we will never get back the 14in fish now.. there fast to go up but wont come down.. maybe the state doesn't like the tax money fishing brings to it

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
4 fish makes sense. Who needs 6 really? Closing the fishery in May makes sense.. the fish are spawning in april and may. Closing the fishery in March makes no sense at all.. other than the fact that most headboats aren't fishing for them at that time. If you really want to protect the fish you would close April not March. Sept to October 17?? Closure? What happens on October 17th? If you really, really wanted to protect the fish you would put resources towards enforcing the regs already in place..:mad:

·
Registered
15,506 Posts
season will also be closed on the 2nd friday of each month, after 4:17 pm, only to reopen at 4:32pm. Between 4:32pm and 5:19pm, fish can be caught, but will have a 19.275 inch size limit, and must kept vertical in a cooler to be considered legal.

Seriously, who comes up with this crap?

Make it a 4 fish 15" limit, with one open and one closed season. Heck, if they really want, make it a 3 fish limit.

·
Registered
28,819 Posts
4 fish makes sense. Who needs 6 really? Closing the fishery in May makes sense.. the fish are spawning in april and may. Closing the fishery in March makes no sense at all.. other than the fact that most headboats aren't fishing for them at that time. If you really want to protect the fish you would close April not March. Sept to October 17?? Closure? What happens on October 17th? If you really, really wanted to protect the fish you would put resources towards enforcing the regs already in place..:mad:
how many people will jump on a head boat in the winter for 4 fish.. some do.. but 6 sounds so much better.. how about those people who dont catch 6 fish... they need more places to live to build more fish.. the gov should be focused on that.. its a proven fact that more fish make babies with more places to live.. esp seabass and tog

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Until someone wakes up and cracks down on the illegal violations of limits, size and the sale of these fish, fishing will continue to get worse and regulations tighter!!!

·
Registered
5,193 Posts
how many people will jump on a head boat in the winter for 4 fish.. some do.. but 6 sounds so much better.. how about those people who dont catch 6 fish... they need more places to live to build more fish.. the gov should be focused on that.. its a proven fact that more fish make babies with more places to live.. esp seabass and tog

I would brotha!..:) But I'd be happy just taking one nice fish home so I'm not the one to ask. I think NJ has more artificial reefs than most states don't we? I'm not sure I just remember hearing that. I can only speak for TI,WW, and CM reef but it seems like the newer wrecks take a long time to get toggy. I wish the Gov't would just focus on all of the poaching that goes on by land and boat and enforce the current regulations.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The whole system is corrupt and a joke and you really have to weigh if following the rules/laws is even justified. I'm not encouraging anyone to break anything but check out some facts below. Monty Hawkins posted this in his report. Wake up People!

The corrupt math used is outrageous.

Visit his site for the breakdown because I can't seem to post the data here. Tables

The link is worth taking a look:
http://morningstarfishing.com/report.htm

·
Registered
503 Posts
Until someone wakes up and cracks down on the illegal violations of limits, size and the sale of these fish, fishing will continue to get worse and regulations tighter!!!
ITS COMMENTS LIKE THIS THAT GIVE REGULATORS THE FUEL FOR TIGHTER REGS TO SCREW US!!! :mad::mad::mad:

I guess what we need is more laws larger fines so we can pay for more enforcement. Huh.

·
Registered
671 Posts
Why not just shut it down from May 1 to Oct 1 and call it a day? This is stupid. Is that 1 fish going to make or break a trip. I know if the seeason is shut down for 5 mo we may NEVER get it back but jees. Who wants to think, can I keep it this mo??? just my opinion. I think it totally sucks:thumbsdown:

The reason we have May1st - Oct 1 1 fish limit is to satisfy the divers who spearfish.

·
Registered
1,824 Posts
Enforcement is a joke

I went in to an Asian market last year and saw a tank full of undersized live tog. I called DFW and reported it. the CO did his job and went there and caught them with 14 undersized fish in the tank. he told me their fine if convicted would be less than $500. They are selling these fish for $10 lb. a $500 fine is just the cost of doing business.

If the Council guys want to fix this problem they should get serious with the fines. On another thread a guy got fined $124 for not filling out a bonus tag, an honest mistake. This business sells 14 undersized fish and pays something like $20 per fish. Only in NJ.

I'm not critical of the CO. He tried but the people who set the fines need to wake up.

·
Registered
398 Posts
And the boat? Was?
For surf durf and patty boy....and to those who dont know me and would like some of my views....

Surf durf is trying to refer to the company i took over....north star

My name is tim barrus i bought the party boat north star in 07'

I have worked hard for my whole life as a long time mate and worked my way up the ladder to captain and finally became a boat owner...

This topic is a double edge sword for most every boat charter/party/private...

As a captain for hire i would like to think that everyone stresses to the customers of their vessel "that they are required to adhere to the rules and regulations set forth by the state of new jersey, it is illegal to catch fish with the intent to sell, and also it is illegal to fillet fish on board unless you are a member of our crew"....if you have ever fished with me you know that, that was a small quote from my morning speech at the first drop....after i lay out size and possesion limits for whatever we may be targeting that day...

I run what i would like to consider a strict operation as far as making sure people obide by the laws that i know as a fisherman ...we pass out measuring boards...teach you how to measure fish or measure them for you if you would like....before we are on the way in i also make it clear i want everyone to "go back through their catch and make sure that all their fish are above the size limit and you are at or below the possesion limit, if you need help please let the mate know and he will assist you in doing so before we get back to the dock"...

but if i or anybody says that they can be 100% sure their customers have done all the right things through out the trip....i would say they or i are wrong...are you certain that if someone gets off a boat that they are going home?? Could they be going to the market?? Could they be trading fish to their car mechanic for work??....is there not an endless possibility for the "what ifs"...i know i hammer home regs on my boat....but that doesnt stop human nature....i know that all the fish caught during our tourist season are always legit because my crew handles all measuring and storage of the catch...

The laws will continue to get more strict and that is fine in my opion...it is a shame that the amount of fish an angler will get to take home is being reduced and making the trips a little less desirable because your possibilities are limited to the size and possesions....a shame ,but what is considered to be necessary to provide a equal platform for all anglers...this also makes it tough on the captain alot of times you have to now travel further and further to reach grounds that have a good mass of keeper sized fish...and sometimes almost impossible when the weather is working against you

I embrace being checked by fish and wildlife...i have only been checked twice in the past 2 years and there has not been any violations written to my boat or customers in at least the past 5years i have owned it....they can check me anytime...i dont mind....frankly i dont care if they were to come and potentially put the scare into a potential cheater!! I think as a captain and crew we are as proactive as we can be to stop any potential cheating and thats why i can say this....however,again i would be a liar if i said it was not possible for someone to pull a quick one...or even more plausable, not measure correctly....etc...and end up in possible violation...thats why i suggest to go back at end of day and check catch...make sure that fish that was just barely a keeper hasnt shrunk in the ice in your box or maybe the hot water in your bucket....having our crew fillet the fish elimates the possibility as well because they double check each fish before filleting it....

Getting back to 2012-2013 regs and regs to come...they more than likely will continue to tighten more and more...you have to understand a few great imperfections of the system and how they play out...

1. More and more data is being recovered from boats now far more than ever before which has caused an influx of data at NMF. most boats would fill out a couple of fish reports a month...just to make it look like they were doin their reports as required to hold the permit...well the problem with that was nobody was checkin to ensure that was an accurate amount of reports. Now that you have the possiblity of the captain of the vessel becoming fined for not having a form for every trip of everyday completed before the boats ties up...guess what! There is a whole lot more forms being turned in!!!!

2. Gps has killed blackfishing quite a bit....it has given the average joe off the street the ability to buy an unbelievably accurate machine for a unbelievably small price and have "the average joe" able to find and fish spots he never had a chance with before with loran!!....the technology on that is a monster....it is great but i have just laid out a major pitfall and how it can affect...

3. Barners know...what do stripers eat?? Stripers along with other predator fish of the bays eat fish..little blackfish, sea bass flounder, oyster crackers....you name it they eat it...unfortunatly with the miracle the regs have produced bringin the stripers back has also put pressure on the baby fish in the back waters...

Take a slow growing fish like blackfish...add in the facts i have just laid out....and trust me i could go for days more...and i am sure their is plenty more opinions to be shared...but having the government receiving more data on the catches...the gps and internet making every boat a wreck fisherman....the spread of the 6 pack boats like cancer everywhere and now most are bottom fishing...and a little bit more of the baby fish becoming part of others diets is a good start to why things are the way they are and i doubt you will see relief on the anglers side in the future

When i first started working as a mate we fished east of atlantic city to down off delaware for blackfish....we were the only boat in the area that i can recall tryin to fish after thanksgiving...i know i would come to work on weekends when i wasnt in school and in the winter time we never even would see another boat on the water....not that i am upset that there is far more competition but obviously there is an exponential amount of boats fishing winter months now...

The bottom line is the possibility of ill behaved people is everywhere...we do our best to keep an eye on things...i bought into the party boat fishing world and am glad i did....i love it when someone thanks me for a great trip...etc....i bought a boat with a slighty tarnished name...have made every attemp to run a sound operation and would appreciate if those who didnt know me or know the whole story or didnt know that the boat changed hands a few years ago would not try to kick in slight jabs...i am a honest respectful man who respects others, their businesses, their reputations....i would appreciate if you could operate on the same level with me....there is only 1 party boat in ocean city...others have come and gone but i still have the north star and am here trying make an honest go of it...and dont want someone dragging up some dirt and trying to sling it at a guy who had nothing to do with it!!

The regs are what they are!! Hopefully it will bring a change...havent seen it work with the sea bass yet, but maybe it will be the right call for togs

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.