BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

· Registered
11,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We had Big Jeff, Lenny, Dwight, Ralph, Sam, and Scott aboard for an open togging trip today. Heading down Ocean Drive, the flags were limp and the harbor looked like a sheet of glass. No ice in the marina, which was a nice change from needing an ice breaker to depart on our last few trips.

We got underway just before 7am with 3/4 bushel of white crabs and were enroute. Clearing the inlet, we found a glassy calm ocean and a Delaware Bay buoy report of 5 to 10 knots and 6 to 7 foot seas. :huh: I thought, wow, that's surprising. It's was northwest most of the evening yesterday and through the night. The forecast was for 2 to 4 feet, so it came as quite a surprise to hear that. On the beach, it wasn't bad, and we made 25 knots most of the way. The swell started building as we got offshore a bit, and on the grounds it was right on the money with a solid 6 to 7 foot heave from the east. Additionally, the friggin southwest wind started cranking up to 15 to 20 knots, making for a white capping chop running up into the swell. What I am getting at here is that the conditions weren't all the good for blackfishing...unless you had a 9' rod to go up and down with the swell.

We gave them hell on drop #1, with Lenny pulling a few keepers. There was very little life, so we made a move to drop #2. Here, we got a short lived slow pick going with a few more keeps hitting the box and Lenny getting a doozie around 12.5 pounds on the Boga. This bite died, so we made another move. Drop #3 was dead. No life, no bites, no fish. We had the opportunity to make one more move and get about an hour of fishing time on it. So, we dropped the hooks on drop #4. It started slow, but we got a slow pick going in the bow with a few fish to 6 or 7 pounds hitting the deck. The bow bite died, and I took a walk back to the cockpit and dropped in next to Lenny. We had about 10 minutes of fishing time left, and not a minute after I got next to Lenny he sets up on a good fish. He gets a couple cranks on it, and the fish bulls some drag. A few more cranks, and the fish starts bull dogging. Pulling some drag and thumping the rod. Lenny couldn't do much at this point, but he played the fish like a pro and before too long we could see a big blackfish circling down below. Boatside, we slip a net under the fish and it is a moose. It hits the deck and I am figuring high teens. This fish had a head like I've never seen....enormous white chin, big cheeks, and just flat out mean looking. Put him on the Boga and he's hovering right around 20 POUNDS! Shortly after, we pulled the hooks and headed for Cape May.

Back at Harborview, we put both fish on the digital scale and the "smaller" fish was 11.75 pounds, and the big dog was 19.5 POUNDS! 31" long, 24" girth, and his tail was 8" top to bottom. What a bruiser! Fish of a lifetime, Lenny! We tallied only 11 keepers for the day(mostly due to the enormous swell and SCREAMING tide), but two of them were doozies.

CONGRATULATIONS, Lenny!

If you can find the time, let me know as I plan to fish every weather window that pops up. There really are some BIG blackfish out there and I know there is a record fish lurking on some of these drops! :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,984 Posts
Adam I want in on a trip, I keep reading all these reports, like the 16th when I was on the North star 35miles out in 145' of water and didn't have a solid hit all day, any openings friday-sun I want one except this saturday the 23rd booked on the searcher

· Registered
1,184 Posts
Nice....

Adam.... damn man you continue to impress...You my friend without a doubt, You are the REAL deal for togs in Cape May....:bow:

Lenny..... awesome fish for you... so glad you landed it.... a Real boat gets the real fish my friend..... what a difference huh........:wave:

· Registered
1,185 Posts
Damm Lenny....Congrats!! BTW, you win the Bass Barn poll of who works the least!:D:bow: I only mention because I am jealous:razz:.

I've said it before, you can learn alot watching Adam set up a double anchor all by himself...congrats cappy!

· Registered
11,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Adam I want in on a trip, I keep reading all these reports, like the 16th when I was on the North star 35miles out in 145' of water and didn't have a solid hit all day, any openings friday-sun I want one except this saturday the 23rd booked on the searcher
Wit it, I will let you know when I have an opening that I can get ya on! Thanks again!

I have two for tomorrow if u go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Assasin, no go tomorrow...15 to 20 northwest and no crabs... :(

Damn!!! I gotta get out. I am going friggin stir crazy!! Good Job Cappy!!!
Bob, whenever you can make it, let me know! Thanks again for the jacket...AWESOME!

Awesome fish Lenny

You deserve it
I should of saved you the skins...you'd need a lot of Johnson's family lemonade, though... :nuts: :D

Way to tough it out and make the best out of the conditions Capt:thumbsup:That fish sounds like a monster,good job Lenny
Steve, conditions weren't the greatest, that's for sure. There are some REEEEAL big fish to be had, though. Can't wait for the next good window. I am trying to hook up some crabbage. The weekend looks crappy...you going to try next week one day?

What a catch!!!
Daryl, thank you sir!

Lenny, Congrats. I am so happy for you. Great job Cappy, for putting my best friend on the big one. Cap,t Steve
My pleasure! Lenny is a blast to fish with!

Great job.
Kevin, thank you! That rod does well for the togs just like it does fluke!

Awesome catch !

Nice job guys
Art, thanks!

Congrats to Adam and crew! NICE FISHHHHHHHHH!:thumbsup:
Mike, it was a BIG boy. See ya out there. You togging with Steve next week or taking your rocket ship?

Congrats Lenny, Capt Adam and Crew. Where are the pics ??? lets see that monster!
Dan, waiting on the pics. As soon as I have them, they'll be up!

Adam.... damn man you continue to impress...You my friend without a doubt, You are the REAL deal for togs in Cape May....:bow:

Lenny..... awesome fish for you... so glad you landed it.... a Real boat gets the real fish my friend..... what a difference huh........:wave:
Tom, thanks very much. Hope to get out with you, Mike, Jeff, Lenny, et al next week. There are some really big fish around. I have a feeling there are some more 20+'s lurking where we killed that one.

Way to go again and see you told me you were going to pull the boat two weeks ago. See all you had to due was wait for me to pull my boat so the weather goods would slack of a little.
Rob, if that's the case you should of pulled that thing mid December because this weather has SUUUUCKED! If this keeps up, my boat might be in for the duration. Ready to go togging???

nice fish!!!!!!!!!
Thank you!

· Registered
11,263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Damm Lenny....Congrats!! BTW, you win the Bass Barn poll of who works the least!:D:bow: I only mention because I am jealous:razz:.

I've said it before, you can learn alot watching Adam set up a double anchor all by himself...congrats cappy!
Rocco, thanks a ton man! Come on FLATTIES! Got the bullet heads ready??? Lenny Capone does...

The big toggie was caught by a different Lenny, although the other 6'6" 285 pound Lenny got a nice 12.5 lb tog for himself last trip! :thumbsup: Seems like Lenny is a lucky name when it comes to togging!

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.