BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably going to be heading to Block island, RI during about the 2nd week of august. I have been reading up on the fishing there in August and the striper, blue, fluke, and even bonita fishing all seem to be pretty good.

I was just curious what any of you guys have to say? What to use, how to fish... any other useful info?

We will be targeting stripers most of the time probably, but wouldnt mind getting a bonito.

Thanks

· Registered
1,474 Posts
I went to Montauk in October and we just tossed Tins "Metal" on the beach. Ava 17 with green tail or no tail. Smacked the stripers. Tins were the only thing I saw people getting bass on Metal.
Pencil Poppers
Darters
Swimmers
Bucktails with curly tails or pork rinds

When we fished on the boat we fished off block island. Eels work great. Drop to the bottom then reel up 3 cranks and wait.

· Registered
391 Posts
Fish at night from shore w/ eels, needles, darters and 7" megabaits if you have them. I consider them the basic searching plugs when fishing anywhere in RI. Lots of other plugs work as well, but those are what I use to fish areas quickly to find out where they are and how picky.
Eels are always a good idea, but if fish are holding a good distance then I find an SS little neck or bottledarter to be a good search plug. I do well in RI with those. I plan on fishing the block this year (can't wait) and a lot of guys swear by eels on the block for big fish, so that's the way I'm going to go!:thumbsup:

· Registered
98 Posts
Eels are always a good idea, but if fish are holding a good distance then I find an SS little neck or bottledarter to be a good search plug. I do well in RI with those. I plan on fishing the block this year (can't wait) and a lot of guys swear by eels on the block for big fish, so that's the way I'm going to go!:thumbsup:
Agreed. I like to fish fast looking for fish and signs of life. I'll work a point for 20 casts. 6 or 7 with eels in close, 6 or 7 out far with a needle out far and 6 or 7 with a darter. Then maybe another plug depending on how the mood moves me. I am pretty confident I will get bites with this strategy, and when I find them, I can then sit on them.

I think when dealing with boulder field structure, there are a lot of benefits of hitting a lot of structure through the night. Fish your confidence plugs and if they aren't hitting them, move until you find fish that are willing to. Once you find them, then use other plugs that you think will cull more fish or target larger fish.

· Registered
4 Posts
Spend alot of time in BI. If there for a short stay hit the coast guard station early ( I mean early) as boat traffic kills the spot by 7-7:30(easy to find) -Car recommended. Eel immitations or live. You will see eels everywhere end of Aug-early Sept. Stripers Bonita and False Albies are around this time as well (big fly fishing spot) As stated-live eels at night is the way to go. Around the corner from the ferry has some nice spots - Dont want to give up to much info.

If there for a long stay-go out for a beer and talk to some locals-they normally are more than happy to share "some" info.

Great guides - beach or boat available

The place really turns on from shore once Labor day and the crowds vanish

Good luck

· Registered
37 Posts
The Jetty just on the otherside of the Ferry is good. Saw a few caught there in early October. There is a small tackle shop (with some really nice locally made lures). The owner was extremely helpful. If you want to charter, contact Eric on the Rooster. He put my wife on her first bass around 30#.

· Registered
842 Posts
We rented a house for the week on what is called the Mohegan Bluffs, and I heard that is a good spot for stripers. Im gonna be up there the 2nd week in august.

· Registered
795 Posts
any body have any info on where to get a room for a night in july? looking to do some spearfishing an gonna be a little tired to drive home. found some places but looking for sumthing near a boat launch even willing to camp. found couple places but just wondering if any body has some input thanks mike

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.