BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm heading back up the last week of June. I have fished the beach the past few years and have done very well. If any one of you guys are going to be up around this time let me know. If by some crazy chance you have a boat or know someone who has a boat on the island I'd be more than willing to split gas. Also going to bring my kayak up this year.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Do you have a place up there or renting ? I am curious as too what they get up that way these days for a rental. I was up there once before senoir year of
High School on a Sea Explorer cruise. Loved it. Visited there along with Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. Wished I surf fished back then. I had no idea the
jewel I was visiting back then. I wouldn't mind going back on of these years. Unfortunately the wife likes warm climates for vacation.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
I will be up there the 3rd week of June. We do a couple days on the rocks up near Newport then take the truck on the ferry to Block. Take a guide 2 half days (either Greg Snow or Chris Willi) to flyfish for monster bass and spend the rest of the time working the beaches. Just an awesome place....

If you want to shoot me an email while we are there I'll be happy to let you know what is going on.

·
Registered
852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Basschaser. Block Island is a special place and my wife is not into colder places but my entire family loves this place. It is very laid back and beautiful. 99% of the people are awesome. It is a little bit expensive but we'll worth it. This year we have 3 houses with family and friends going up. None of them fish like me but will venture out with me some. If I were you I would get this trip in. You won't regret it.
FM Greg Snow is awesome. I have fished with him before but he is not on the island anymore. He does have a friend fishing the island. I hit the cut last year most nights because it was safe and always gave me fish. I had 4-8 bites per night and the one night I missed it went off with 20 plus fish per guy. Size was decent. 27"-36" class. I know if I hit the beach the size at night is going to go up. I know a lot of the spots and have fished them some at night but mostly during the day. I'm not comfortable going alone. It's not worth my life. When you go it is worth a look at the docks very late at night. Some huge slobs chase those squid. 38 pounds plus. Live line one of them and hold on.... The main area everyone is catching squid is the place but go after midnight or later. Chris w. Seems pretty cool I have spoken to him a few times but have not fished with him yet. Maybe this summer. I like the light tackle thing so he is perfect for that kind of trip. Let me know how you make out. Thanks. Last summer the west side seemed to hold more fish in the coves I heard.

·
Registered
678 Posts
Mikey,
I'll just stay in that lower level bedroom and you guys will never know I'm there. Stock the fridge with a nice IPA if you don't mind, K? :)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Thanks for the info, will definately be looking into doing something..need a roadtrip..

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Basschaser. Block Island is a special place and my wife is not into colder places but my entire family loves this place. It is very laid back and beautiful. 99% of the people are awesome. It is a little bit expensive but we'll worth it. This year we have 3 houses with family and friends going up. None of them fish like me but will venture out with me some. If I were you I would get this trip in. You won't regret it.
FM Greg Snow is awesome. I have fished with him before but he is not on the island anymore. He does have a friend fishing the island. I hit the cut last year most nights because it was safe and always gave me fish. I had 4-8 bites per night and the one night I missed it went off with 20 plus fish per guy. Size was decent. 27"-36" class. I know if I hit the beach the size at night is going to go up. I know a lot of the spots and have fished them some at night but mostly during the day. I'm not comfortable going alone. It's not worth my life. When you go it is worth a look at the docks very late at night. Some huge slobs chase those squid. 38 pounds plus. Live line one of them and hold on.... The main area everyone is catching squid is the place but go after midnight or later. Chris w. Seems pretty cool I have spoken to him a few times but have not fished with him yet. Maybe this summer. I like the light tackle thing so he is perfect for that kind of trip. Let me know how you make out. Thanks. Last summer the west side seemed to hold more fish in the coves I heard.
Bon.... ran into Greg last year when we were fishing with Chris. He has the Seacraft in Montauk, but was shooting photos with a friend near us and took som spectacular shots of us flyfishing Black Rock. I'll try and dig a couple of them out and post them.

We stay at Champlins, and the docks there at night are alive AND you an get a beer!

Block is truly a magical place.....

·
Registered
162 Posts
We did a striper trip early last Summer out of RI, hour boat ride to Block, arrived at dawn, rips SW side of Block I believe, Stripers in the deeper water just off the shoal. we piched 9" white Zara Spooks with rattles on light spinning tackle and it was fish on almost every cast. Fished just like large mouth, cast, let it sit still, sometime they blow up on it, if not a couple walk the dog twiches and were hooked up.90% keeper size, nothing over 25# (which disapointed the captain as he had gotten over 40# and over 50# that week.)

An incredible 2hrs of fishing before it was over. Three of us caught over 100 stripers. Best striper day ever. Be back for sure this year. We only saw 3 boats that morning and other were trolling.

Russ

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Sounds fun, did yall chunk or plug?
From the boat it was all flyfishing from the bow while the other guy was throwing sluggos, and ripping them as fast as we ca thru the water. Both of us were constanty getting hammered.

The beach fishing was mostly plugging, but we did pick a few small fish on the flyrods too...

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
We stay at Champlins or on the boat. The bar has the best mudslides. If the weather cooperates you can fly fish the boulders just past the surf.
The place is really nice - shame its so crowded compared to when I was a kid. The bottleneck in New harbor inlet on the right tide can be drop and reel flouder around that time of year.

The yellow kitten doesnt close until three am -you might as well stay up at that point.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Oh and if you go in Aug those lobster pots that go from Montauk to BI hold some chicken Mahi. I suppose you could try them on fly also.

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
I'll be headed up to Block Island on 6/29, renting a place with the family for the week. Never been there before. Glad I found this thread, as I was thinking about posting to find out about what should be going on up there around that time. BONAC H...is this the week you'll be up there or are you going the week before?

·
Registered
21,273 Posts
From the boat it was all flyfishing from the bow while the other guy was throwing sluggos, and ripping them as fast as we ca thru the water. Both of us were constanty getting hammered.

The beach fishing was mostly plugging, but we did pick a few small fish on the flyrods too...
that rippin sluggo fishing is some fun stuff. Hoping to get to do some in June on the Merrimack

·
Registered
180 Posts
Rentals on Block

Do you have a place up there or renting ? I am curious as too what they get up that way these days for a rental. I was up there once before senoir year of
High School on a Sea Explorer cruise. Loved it. Visited there along with Martha's Vineyard and Nantucket. Wished I surf fished back then. I had no idea the
jewel I was visiting back then. I wouldn't mind going back on of these years. Unfortunately the wife likes warm climates for vacation.
If you check on-line prices, you will find they are high, however, there are a few B-and-Bs within walking distance of the ferry that are reasonable. Please know that our experience was that the rooms were clean, the breakfasts were tasty and plentiful but the rooms were small...perhaps better described as tiny.
GOA :thumbsup:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts