BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all

I am a new member to the barn and I was thinking of how when I was a little guy we used to catch blow fish by the hundreds. then they went away. I always thought they would come back some day, but it dosen't seem like they will ever be as plentiful as they were.

Two years ago we throwing a net around Manasquan and we caught quite a few little blow fish, and I thought that maybe they wrere coming back. however I have not heard that anyone was catching any of these fish.

Anyone catch any blow fish lately ?

Tight lines,

Kahunadelray

·
Registered
166 Posts
I saw plenty of blowfish being caught from the bridge at Corson's Inlet last year.

·
Registered
822 Posts
I got a good sized blowfish in the surf last week while fishing for kingfish. I wouldn't say that there were running though.

·
Registered
3,839 Posts
nope ....all those lil' kids back in the Sixties killed them all.
They used to sell them by the bag...head and all...in the Acme on 8th. Street. in O.C.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
A couple of Blowfish were caught last night
in the Surf on LBI,the guy got them while
throwing a 4" Pink Fin-S-Fish....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thank you all for answering.

Looks like they are coming back a little bit.

I guess I was one of the kids from the sixties.
I really have some found memories of catching them like crazy. And also cookin up with the whole family and eating them.

Well thanks again, I'll be headed down Wildwood next week for vacation and I plan on doin alot of fishin.

See ya in the surf.

·
Registered
600 Posts
if you look for them you will most likely catch a couple this time of year try a deep hole in the bay on the incoming tide with ALOT of chum, you will also find small sea bass,porgys, and a couple kingfish, you will have to move around and find them

·
Registered
4,074 Posts
Last year i caught a couple way back behind brigantine by accident, so i switched over to smaller hooks and clam and it was like 1970 all over again. Balloons on every cast. I haven't seen it like that since although i did get a couple more on later trips. I bet if i tried for them i could get some now.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Back in the 50's, blow fish overloaded the back bays to the extent that hardly anytthing else was caught. Bringing one in slowly enabled you to scoop followers with a crab dip net. during this time period,I recall only catching spike sized weakies. It's my theory that as the weakies made a comeback cycle, they were able to feed on smaller blowfish by puncturing them with their fanglike teeth preventing them from using their blowup defensive method. This in time, will reverse as all cycles do. Well, that's my story and I'm sticking to it untill a better one comes along. I miss eating those tasty little bait snitchers..Rustyreel.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
They are here ,I've caught several while fluke fishing this summer and they were decent size
If you want them I would suggest you anchor up using a chumpot.
anchor on edge of channel near deeper water,don't be surprised to catch a few fluke and some kingfish

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Phillyyoungin

You cut behind the head, but not all the thru, them you have to turn the fish inside out, grab the meat and seperate from skin and head, trim the fins. They only have a back bone. Batter dip them, deep fry, eat like a drum stick. Delicious

I hope I'll eating some soon.

Looking for some fishing buddies in Wildwood for two weeks starting this Saturday.

Tight lines
See ya on the Jetty

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Kahunadelray,
Welcome to the BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard...........

Thanks For That Info....

·
Registered
1,612 Posts
The last thing I'd want is for those little ba$$tards to come back. :mad: Yeh, I caught hundreds of them in Tuckerton in the 60's , and they do taste good. We'd catch so many that when we ran out of bait we'd use scraps from our lunch; orange peels, aluminum foil,aanything you could put on a hook. But, you'll never catch anything else with those things in the water.

Good ridance.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Jack

Guess what, that is exactly where I caught them in the sixties, Mystic Islands. Funny

However I was able to catch other things, but if you only have an orange peel for bait I guess you get what you get.

We don?t need them to be that plentiful.
But it would be nice to get some to eat.
And I did catch the little ones in my cast net a couple of years ago, it wasn't a couple it was quite a few and I was wandering if people were catching them.

I'm going to be shootin' for a Grand Slam down in Wildwood a nice Flounder, a weakfish, a striper, a bluefish and some blowfish.

Tight Lines

Kahuna

·
Registered
741 Posts
Used to catch them in mystic a few years back...not hundreds....but any given day chummin behind the old stick house you might put together a dozen or so...tasty tasty....plus it kept the kids rods bent...and that was the important thing.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts