BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My hull is midnight blue, had it compounded and waxed at the yard I store at last year. The shine lasted till about early July and the clouds came back, esp on the direct eastern exposed side(starboard) in the slip. Im doing it myself this year just for fun! Question is, what causes the clouds to come back up to surface and become visible? Is it the direct sun, is it the combo salt water and the sun? or just salt water?
I want to get started sooner than later on the job at hand, but if I do it now on the hard, I dont want it fail even earlier. If the boat is on land and a bit shaded by other boats, port is now facing east, will I lose the effects of the compounding sitting on the parking lot? Im just curious

·
Registered
7,126 Posts
Most boats that aren't white are either painted, decaled or wrapped. Assuming yours is painted, depending on the year and manufacturer of your boat, It may not have UV stabilized (Urethane with catalyst) paint, but either enamel or acrylic enamel. Those paints consistently fade out over time, and some deteriorate faster than others.

There are a few solutions;
Permanent = repaint the boat with catalyzed Urethane. Any auto body shop worth its salt can do this.
Temporary = compounding with an aggressive machine compound with a variable speed buffer that maxes out at 3000 rpm. Apply the compound to a 2' x 2' area, and work it into the paint at 800 to 1000 rpm. As the compound disappears, increase the speed until you hit 3000 rpm. This will shine it up some. If that doesn't work everyplace the paint is bad, you can wet sand the bad areas with a fine sand paper, and then compound it. I have 13 micron paper at home (left over from my auto painting days), but you can use anything from 600 grit and up. Finish it off with a polish job with the same buffer and a new bonnet (yellow colored bonnets are the best choice for polish), then wax it. You WILL have to do this again in the future until you run out of paint to compound or sand.

Reactions: chaser

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Most boats that aren't white are either painted, decaled or wrapped. Assuming yours is painted, depending on the year and manufacturer of your boat, It may not have UV stabilized (Urethane with catalyst) paint, but either enamel or acrylic enamel. Those paints consistently fade out over time, and some deteriorate faster than others.

There are a few solutions;
Permanent = repaint the boat with catalyzed Urethane. Any auto body shop worth its salt can do this.
Temporary = compounding with an aggressive machine compound with a variable speed buffer that maxes out at 3000 rpm. Apply the compound to a 2' x 2' area, and work it into the paint at 800 to 1000 rpm. As the compound disappears, increase the speed until you hit 3000 rpm. This will shine it up some. If that doesn't work everyplace the paint is bad, you can wet sand the bad areas with a fine sand paper, and then compound it. I have 13 micron paper at home (left over from my auto painting days), but you can use anything from 600 grit and up. Finish it off with a polish job with the same buffer and a new bonnet (yellow colored bonnets are the best choice for polish), then wax it. You WILL have to do this again in the future until you run out of paint to compound or sand.
Thanks Toolguy, Its a gelcoated boat. Im going to try a more aggressive cut compound and polish and wax, as soon as temps go up bit. I was wondering if I'll get the same shine duration, about 3.5 months.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
what polish and wax are you using? smoove to polish and collinite paste wax to seal it. will last a season, right around 6 months and will need another coat of wax at that point
Thanks rebeccalee, I am using smooze as a matter of fact. Its pretty easy to work with but, I go over the same area 3 times, not kidding a 2ft section. Im really leaning in to also, lots of pressure. In the sun, I can still see what looks like water spots below the surface, its weird. When I wax it looks pretty good but I know in 3 mo, those spots start showing themselves more and more until its a cloud on the middle section of hull. Starboard side is direct East sun and is worse than port for sure.
Anyway, its taking me hours and hours and hours to do starboard side. 32ft of hull

·
Registered
5,584 Posts
My 1980 Penn Yan hull has been painted (white) 20 yrs ago and is starting to show its age. We have a blue strip on the bow below the rub rail that is faded. My plan is to touch up all dings and chips next season, then have the hull wrapped.

I did my stern a couple years ago with a wood print and the boat name that came out great and has held up and looks as good today as it did when they first installed it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts