BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Blue Runner Incredible swordfishing with pics

Just getting back online here after a long stretch of good weather here in Florida. I am running the Blue Runner, a private 60' Ritchie Howell out of Stuart. We took advantage of the great weather window and got out for three overnight trips recently .. here is a summary with pics

Friday / Sat:

Went 6 for 11 on wahoo to 50lbs and added some blackfin and bottom fish to the mix. Got set up at night after spending some time looking around and went 3 for 5 on swords to 170 lbs

Sun / Mon:

Wahoo fishing was a little slower today, going 1 for 4 then switching to bottom fishing and releasing a bunch of grouper, snapper, AJ's .. caught a couple of triggers before setting up for the night. Tried a different area early in the night and only had one blackfin and a shark to show for it , so moved back to area we had fished a few nights earlier ... hooked up a monster and fought it for 7 hrs before losing it boatside

Mon/ Tues:

late start , so we go right to swordfishing and hook up within minutes if getting set out. We are 8 for 9 by 3 am before calling it quits and heading in early

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
More pics

We have met some really knowledgeable folks down here and have used many of the same techniques we use at home and added a few new ones to our program ... I believe Adam may have posted about new breakout sessions this year with RJ Boyle and Tim Pickett from LP adding their expertise on daytime swording ... it is a technique I believe we can use when swords are in our home canyons

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
We have met some really knowledgeable folks down here and have used many of the same techniques we use at home and added a few new ones to our program ... I believe Adam may have posted about new breakout sessions this year with RJ Boyle and Tim Pickett from LP adding their expertise on daytime swording ... it is a technique I believe we can use when swords are in our home canyons
Was going to ask if you were daytiming down there Mark. I'll be at the seminar and look forward to that session.

I've said it for years that it CAN be done up here. In fact, a few guys have done it.

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Was going to ask if you were daytiming down there Mark. I'll be at the seminar and look forward to that session.

I've said it for years that it CAN be done up here. In fact, a few guys have done it.
Jay, Our fish were caught at night .. but theres no doubt where they are at night , they can be caught during the day with more reliablity

Basil ..thanks for all your help over the years, you have helped everyone at CR in making our tackle 100% .. I wish you could have made the trip :)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Great trip Mark. What was the estimate on the one that put the bent butt through its paces?

Reminds me a little of the night we had swording off VA a few years back - 11 bites in one night.

Well done!

·
Registered
5,413 Posts
Jay, Our fish were caught at night .. but theres no doubt where they are at night , they can be caught during the day with more reliablity
It's without a doubt an amazing fishery down there. I remember you guys did well in the past on those night time fish. Good to see you down there back at it.

The prospect of dropping to those fish in 2000' of water, mid-day, and having a bite within seconds intrigues the heck out of me.

·
Registered
4,773 Posts
Mark I had no ideas you guys would be running out of Stuart this season..... Those were my home waters last year!! Good stuff!

·
Registered
1,508 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great trip Mark. What was the estimate on the one that put the bent butt through its paces?

Reminds me a little of the night we had swording off VA a few years back - 11 bites in one night.

Well done!
Stephen .. the one we lost after 7 hrs was 500-700 lbs ... they always are bigger once you get them on deck ... after catching giants up to 850 lbs, I can honestly say a big sword can hold its own against anything in the ocean .. the night off VB was incredible as well , this night was on the same pace, but we landed more and quit early ...

·
Registered
349 Posts
Mark,
I'm in Islamorada now and met Richard Stanczyk the other day.
He and a few others pioneered the day time deep drop for swords.
He owns Bud and Mary's here and you might want to contact him.
I spent about 2 hours picking his brain and he really knows his stuff.

Super nice guy and loves to talk fishing.

His number is 305 664 2461.

Capt Brian

·
Registered
2,404 Posts
Guys - having RJ and LP at the Seminar is going to make for a great breakout session. These guys know how to do the daytime swording as well as anyone and I know Me, Mark and all our crew will be attending their breakout session.

I can't guarantee that they'll be in Long Island though so if you really want to learn about daytime swording please try to attend the AC Seminar.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.