BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Let me start by saying to be mindful of the environment and teach others as well. I picked up 5 balloons off of the beach Thursday, and quite a few in Brig a couple weeks back. When you release them into the air they have to land somewhere.... Chances are the ocean is where they will end up. Sea turtles east them thinking they are jellyfish and die. Birds, fish, and other animals get wrapped in the string...

As for fishing, I decided to get in on the bluefish bite going on in Northern NJ. I had a few to 8lbs on pencil poppers and SP minnows. I avoided the hotspots because when I arrived the fisherman were stacked up and I even saw my first bottle of Jager with a fisherman on the beach. Gotta love it! Cant wait for Fluke season!!

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
balloons were just some of the trash. The balloons were what I could fit into my coat. I'm not trying to start a "who's beach has more trash" discussion because they all have plenty. We just need to do our part to help clean it up and educate others.

·
Registered
36 Posts
After fishing beaches for forty+ years and picking up or pulling balloons and there strings off my lines. I absolutely cringe every time I see a celebration where balloons are released.
I started to wonder if I was the only one that noticed. ( Now what can we do about it). My old job was releasing balloons at there grand reopening and I complained, to deaf ears:mad:.

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
All you can do is try to educate people. Ignorant people will always throw trash on the beach. Hopefully we can enlighten a few good people and they will think twice about releasing the balloons.

·
Registered
624 Posts
hey bro, wasn't my point either. 5 balloons. 500 balloons. drops in the pail.

not trying to argue or pry but just b/c you found it on the beach doesn't mean that someone physically put it there. maybe they were in the trash. and they blew out of the garbage truck on its way to the dump.. you cant be so quick to point your finger and call people ignorant. now I do think that there are too many that are. and I do think there is way to much garbage on the beach. but what you see on the beach is a small fraction of a single percent of what is really out there. beach cleanups imo are like shooting a squirt gun at a wildfire.. now I do think we should all do our part to live a greener life but picking up some garbage and then driving 100 miles up and down the coast to fish is a bit silly, no?

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
hey bro, wasn't my point either. 5 balloons. 500 balloons. drops in the pail.

not trying to argue or pry but just b/c you found it on the beach doesn't mean that someone physically put it there. maybe they were in the trash. and they blew out of the garbage truck on its way to the dump.. you cant be so quick to point your finger and call people ignorant. now I do think that there are too many that are. and I do think there is way to much garbage on the beach. but what you see on the beach is a small fraction of a single percent of what is really out there. beach cleanups imo are like shooting a squirt gun at a wildfire.. now I do think we should all do our part to live a greener life but picking up some garbage and then driving 100 miles up and down the coast to fish is a bit silly, no?
Hey, I like your line of thought, but i think it goes beyond the scope of this thread... you can't ever argue against picking up trash anywhere!!..now on to the wider road you took yes it's crazy to drive 100 miles to fish just like it's crazy to put so many resources into keeping your lawns green...it's crazy and, it's a good argument... but it's comforting though to be in a position to have those resources at hand, no? Despite the end of the world mentalities of politicians and religious zealots, I say we're in a good place here in the USA! The earth will survive.... with or without us.....

·
Registered
3,304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Everyone is entitled to an opinion. Releasing balloons into the air with no concern for the environment is ignorant, throwing trash on a public resource like the beach is rude, and picking up trash off of the beach is good no matter how inconsequential it may be. If you can make a valid arguement maybe you can change my mind.

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
1 person picking up trash may be "like shooting a squirt gun at a wildfire" but if there are enough squirt guns the wildfire can be put out..........just saying I'm going to continue to be a "squirt gun"

·
Registered
624 Posts
please don't take this the wrong way and I am not trying to put out anyone's candle but if you're going to pick up trash you may as well do your best and pick up all of it. and who threw this trash on the beach? you didn't see anyone do anything. garbage gets to the beach in all sorts of ways. not just from people physically putting it there. please tell me whats better, picking up a handful of garbage or not burning 20 gallons of fuel? and if you're going to go as far as picking up someone's trash and not driving you should only use re-usable containers for your beverages. don't buy things that can wind up on the beach in the 1st place. don't use paper plates. they wind up in landfills ya know. don't drive your car for recreation. ozone is burning up faster than you can fill your gas tank. like I said I applaud you for not being one of the scum that litters. imo people that litter are lower than just about anything else. but in this case you are either all in or you are not. there is no grey area. and you keep saying that throwing trash on the beach is ignorant. while I agree, you didn't really see anyone put it there. my biggest pet peeve is cigarette butts. I absolutely hate seeing them anywhere but the garbage.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I get razzed all the time for carrying a bucket even when I plug but picking up trash is what I do as I head from jetty to jetty. Especially any form of plastic. Where I fish there are trash cans. When I come off the beach I toss what I collected, if what I find is too big for. A 5 gallon bucket I drag it up beyond the surf zone so public works workers can get it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts