BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
when do the bluefish arrive in the back?

·
Registered
52,618 Posts
BY EASTER BUT NOT IN FORCE THEN. IF THE BIG TANK AT NO-BONNER IS RUNNING BY THIS WEEKEND THERE WILL BE ONE IN IT BY 3:58:26 PM GOOD FRIDAY.

·
Registered
618 Posts
I was reading some old reports from last year for the LBI area. Looks like they come in heavy around the beginning of May.

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
were a few weeks away

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
They can be a real PIA but they can also save the night. The spring run of blues seemed smaller to me last year then the years prior. Size wise, not numbers. Anyone else find this to be true?

RyanF

·
Registered
127 Posts
I caught a decent amount of large blues last year. Most of the time i mistook them for stripers because i would always catch the biggest ones on my clam rigs.

·
Registered
15,362 Posts
It was posted here on the barn that there were some caught off the CM beach like last week!

I've caught them in early March years past.

·
Registered
2,433 Posts
From the old timers (The BLUES will show when the Laughing Gulls show) My Grandfather taught me this along with a few other old school things.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Instead of "hating" them...man...learn to catch (really mabe catch/maybe lose) them on ultra lights or fly tackle in shallow water....now that's true fishing!!!!! But maybe not eating....

Laying into a big cow striper...man...like taking ambion while weight lifting....

Don't hate what you don't understand...man...did that sound too much like a chinese fortune cookie????

Anyway...big blues on ultralights/fly tackle can be humbling and get some excitement back into your NJ fishing.....

·
Registered
994 Posts
Capt Scott, couldnt agree more!!! We do it every year in great bay. Alot of afternoons catch 50-100 on plugs and poppers. Many times alone or with one or two other boats on the whole bay. Take most of the hooks off the plugs and they hit it and hit it until they find the hook. Laughs and bs flying around the boat for hours!!!

·
Registered
24,070 Posts
Theyve saved the day plenty of times.
I love em.

1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
thanks, yeah i love catching them on my yak on light tackle. They are a great fish. So easy to catch and the fight is pound for pound the best.

1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks, yeah i love catching them on my yak on light tackle. They are a great fish. So easy to catch and the fight is pound for pound the best.

·
Registered
3,766 Posts
The most fun you can have with your clothes on, on the water. We can spend the whole day doing it, all released in the best condition possible.

·
Registered
5,865 Posts
I love when the blues are in the back like that, they fight better than the striped ones and keep you busy for the most part. And the little ones aren't bad eating. I only use one recipe but I love em a few times a year.

When I am sharking, thats when I despise those basstards!

1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm going to catch a few this year for my crab traps.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Ocean needs to warm up a tad.52 degree surf temp for a couple days,then they will start to show in the back.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts