BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am the editor of The SandPaper down on LBI. I thoroughly enjoy BassBarn and fully respect the fishing talent within.

Regarding this surfer bite, while I question how a bluefish, which leaves a perfect scalpel-like V-shape incision when it bites (and bites both sides of anything it grabs), could be the culprit, I was wondering if any of you folks, who think this incident was a chopper blue, would be willing to be interviewed (by phone or email)by my writer. I'm just trying to make sure to get all sides to this obviously very significant in-water event and the BassBarn thread on this issue is the most divergent.

If you think bluefish contact: [email protected].

(Moderator: Sorry if this violates any BassBarn bylaws but in the story we will qualify folks as BassBarners and offer the website address. )

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Jmann99- My cousin and I were striper fishing in the area the day of the shark bite- but I really don't have an opinion on the type of fish- one way or the other. I'm sure someone will respond.

Thanks for the PR.

·
Banned
1,307 Posts
J,It was too funny to hear you made the top 5 stupid sound bites of the week on the Laura Ingram show on 990 AM !! At least you didn't get picked for # 1, a Rosie Odonnell sound bite won !!This isn't a rip on you by me, I'm just letting you know what I heard on a nationwide radio station !! It must have been a slow sound bite week !! As far as the bit foot go's, I don't think anyone could say with certainty what bit the kid without seeing wound first hand. But to say it was a young Great White, I think that is a reach !! The picture's don't show a bite on the other side of ankle, leading me to believe , he could've been whacked by a sting ray or large blue. If it was a shark , it was more likely a Brown or Dusky !! Did any professional's inspect the wound on the Island before being treated ??

·
Registered
32,487 Posts
"This was no boating accident. It was no propeller or coral reef and it wasn't Jack the Ripper...it was a shark" "Didn't you get on a boat and check out these waters!?!?!"

I think it was a brownie.

·
Registered
600 Posts
I also think it was a brown shark AKA sandbar shark, although there are great whites in the area there are prob. about 10,000 browns to every great white.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
"You say barracuda and people say Uhh, What? You say Shark and we have a panic on the 4th of July!"

·
Registered
8,350 Posts
one of the many sandsharks which I caught saturday night, bit my leg. First time this ever happened. Had jeans on, no injuries. Was around 3 foot.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts