BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gosh for many years we used to clean our catch when coming in from the ocean. Now i dont see anyone doing that. I know about not cleaning fluke but is there some sort of reg. that bluefish cant be cleaned. Just curious.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Not that I am aware of. Bluefish is one of the only fish you are legally allowed to clean on the beach or coming in from shore from what I recall.

·
Registered
132 Posts
We caught a bunch on the Searcher II and the mates cleaned the bules on the ride home and tosssed the racks over. The stripers they did back at the dock.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
deleted it up for ya!

My bad i have that permit. lol

·
Registered
994 Posts
sportfishingusa said:
You can filet any fish offshore as long as the carcusses are held in the boat and the skin stays attached to the meat.. you can remove it from the bluefish but that also is supposed ot be kept i believe...
Thats not true. You gotta be carefull about the info you post-gonna get somebody fined. Some party boats have a permit to do that but not on a private boat. Only a fish without a size limit can be fileted.

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I think you would have to save the racks too because there is a limit of 15. A big old gator blue is probably the worst tasting fish I have ever eaten that I caught myself and thats probably what you are getting out of the beach. I kill a couple cocktails each spring and thats still pushin it! To each his own, but check double check the regs on filleting at sea first.

RyanF

·
Registered
648 Posts
when the long skinny blues are in, i will eat them up to 10 lbs in the spring, i like the meat and its my grandpops favorite, once the bunker come then its time to keep the babys lol

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Filet the blues on the water, as long as your filets don't amount to more than your limit. And anyone that doesn't like em. Keep em and freeze them. I'll come take em off your hands..........sharks kinda like em

·
Registered
13,493 Posts
Just got a call...there is a big blitz of blues on the tip of Sandy Hook right now.

The blues are so big they are making the keeper sized bass look like schoolies.

All of you "south jersey" anglers who are satisfied catching "flounder" and small blues in the 15lb range should drive right now to Officer's row on Sandy Hook.

General Caster will be there to demo how far to cast in order to hook up, but of course as in all blue blitzes, all you need is a bail of wire with a hook in order to bring them in.

The word is out and I heard that several local restaurants are offering their services to cook up your catch.

·
Registered
77,386 Posts
I have to admit I like the 5 to 6 lbs in the spring. Once they eat that summer oily bunker they stink

·
Registered
10,589 Posts
none of you dont smeel so good either. cant fillet bluefish in NJ waters unless in possesion of a NJMA fillet knife. no cheeks.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just checked the 2007 regulations for recreational anglers. They state that any fish with a minimum size limit can NOT be cleaned at sea. There is NO size limit on blue fish so I guess they can be cleaned on the way in.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts