BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone heard of blues in the Barnaget Bay? I got a call from a friend who's buddy said they caught 14 blues in the bay yesterday. Seems a little early. I'm going down to see if anything is hanging around yet. I NEED to go fishing.:D

Don C

·
Registered
36 Posts
Early Blues

Caught a 8 lb blue pluggen off the surf First weekend in april last year and another dec 14 the year before. Blues do show up now for sure!;)

Johnnybluefish

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
I heard herring being caught up there, so maybe there are blues on those fish OR your friend doesn't know the difference between a herring and a bluefish.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Hey DON

Mike Here. I am sure they are there. I fish down there alot in the bay. I have a 13 ft. whaler and love to light tackle blues this time of year.. I have not gone yet, been pretty busy. It really hits it's stride around mother's day back there. If the weather stays warm, it should break open around the end of this month. thanks.

·
Registered
3,158 Posts
Topaz29 said:
Mike Here. I am sure they are there. I fish down there alot in the bay. I have a 13 ft. whaler and love to light tackle blues this time of year.. I have not gone yet, been pretty busy. It really hits it's stride around mother's day back there. If the weather stays warm, it should break open around the end of this month. thanks.
When has it been warm? We need a string of 65+ degree days, these fluctuations from day-to-day are keeping things at bay still for a while.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Hey Mike, welcome out of hibernation...we plan to splash in a couple of weeks, what about the white shadow?

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Mike I got some real good info from a Barnaget Light local, I'll let you know how it works out.;)

Don C

p.s. He's the real deal!!!

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Jeff and Don

Yes Jeff, i am out of hibernation and trying to do something with the white shadow.
don, I have no doubt the fish are there. Best method is small poppers on top. We need some more sunshine to warm things up a bit. Another 2 weeks it will break open for 3-5lb fish..
Last year was very good, started around ealr May.
the year before sucked. Check the bak bay forum.
thanks.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
Even Steven

You are right, It has not been warm. Give it 2 weeks and steady temps. That is what I meant. Good Luck. If you see a guy zipping around in a beat up 1963 13 ft. whaler with tiller, that is me.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
If the blues aren t there yet it should be anyday now,...These early Blues that come into the bay are my favorite, in fact they are the only blues I eat, through out the year, for what ever reason These blues even though they go 6-10 lbs don t have that oily taste, I m gonna weather the light rain in the morning to check out the bay in Oyster Creek channel soaking clams ....looking for stripers,and I will be casting rattletraps & soft plastics also, if there are blues I should get some. Will report back here in the afternoon.

Liv 2 Fish
Forced 2 Work

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I'm going late morning hopeing to miss some of the rain. I hope to throw some plugs and bucktails around the bars and the banks. If I get lucky my guy will have some fresh herring to see what happens.

Don C

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
I left this morning at 6;00 am...out of Waretown to check for blues in the Oyster Creek Channel Tide was still coming in,,Water clarity very dirty...Alot of snotty..brown Algae...Hard to Fish bucktails or Plastic..without getting fouled up...hooked two spider crabs on clams.. moved closer to the Inlet.Fished near the 40 can..water cleared up a bit but, still no bites..only saw five or six other boats fishing,,headed back in by 9:30...fished a good three hours, will Salt and freeze the 3 dozen or so clams I have left . If the weather holds up will try again this time off the south Jetty ..by the lighthouse around 4:00 pm...Try and catch the end of the outgoing.

Liv 2 Fish
Forced 2 Work..

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I called my buddy in Barnaget Light this morning and he told me not to bother making the trip that the weather was bad. He told me the stiff wind out of the NE and wind blow rains and I would be better here at home. I'll try again next week.

Later this week we are going to try for some herring up here in the river. If we can get 25 or better we'll take them down to the BL for next weekend. We have some pens to keep them in.

Don C

·
Registered
980 Posts
Hey Don how did you make out with the diesel repair. Was all you were telling me about coming true????

Gone Deep

Pat

·
Registered
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Man that truck came out sweet. It's all true and just keeps getting better and better. He's looking for a young guy to teach what he knows to. I happen to be in the right spot at the right time. We have to hook up soon I'm fishing from this week till January weather permitting. Get a fresh water lic. and we'll put a hurting on them in the river if you don't want to go for the long ride.

How did you make out in Cape May?

Don C

1 - 20 of 20 Posts