BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any Salty Dogs out there that could give me some advise it would be appreciated. I?m looking into getting a larger boat for the bay and sometimes the ocean. Currently leaning towards getting a used 22 foot Grady White Seafarer. Any thoughts on this craft?

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jimbo, I?ve heard good things about Hydrasprots. I?ve been told because of the walk around the Grady is nose heavy and on the slow side. I was wondering if others have heard the same.

·
Registered
2,436 Posts
Is this an outboard or I/O ? I/Os don't seen to be as reliable or have the resail. I know from experance. I had a 22Ft. IMP walkaround, very nice fishing platform for the ocean & bay.

·
Registered
31,457 Posts
What year is the hull? Grady changed the hull around 94 or so to the SeaV 2 hull. The newer ones have a much better ride. As with any boat with wood in it, check for soft spots. Especially around where a prior owner may have incorrectly installed something and not properly sealed it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Hello there......

I am new to the board and have fishing my 22' 1985 Grady since 1996. Put about 2,100 engine hours on that rig so far and love it. I use it for both bay and ocean fishing. Just replaced the gas tank and re-plywooded /epoxied the tank access hatches of the deck..

Great hull..would be better if it was 1992+.. Any questions just ask..

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Bob ECT thanks. I heard there was a change in the hull design but didn?t know when it took place. It's an 85 hull so I guess it?s the older design. The deck seems solid, I?ll double check and there are no visible cracks that I could find.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
NIGHTIDES,
Welcome To The BassBarn.Com,
Glad To Have You Aboard..............

Yep,a 22'Grady is Sweet as proof in
your experience with one,,,,

Thanks for your imput.....

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nightides, that's great news to hear. Is yours also a Seafarer. And are you running an Evinrude (sp?) also?

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
Barhopper, welcome to the barn. I'm from Horsham and go to gavin's on the odd ocation like yesterday and the day before! How long have you been in the area? Any how Grady's are good boats one of my fav's for smaller boats. ;)

·
Registered
25,494 Posts
What year boat? What year motor?

Look for soft spots on the floor, especially over the gas tanks or where there is an access port.

Open the portholes over the tanks and sniff for gasoline. If possible, try to reach down under the tank for the finger test. Sniff for gas.

Check out all the electrical stuff, lights, bilge pumps, accessories, etc to see if it all works. Check the fuse blocks for corrosion. They are located under the dash and are exposed. Not a deal breaking item, but a pain to work on after purchase.

Check how many hours are on the engine if there is an hour meter. If not, there is no way of knowing on an older motor. Have the motor checked out by an OMC dealer.

Check out the owner, get a feel for him to see if he is a guy to maintained the boat with care or if he just splashed her & forgot about it. That says a lot.

Also when you inspect it, ask the owner to step away so you can see things without him over your shoulder. Don't get distracted from what you are doing. Make a list of your concerns then ask him about afterwards.

Tap around on the transom. Should produce a solid sound. If sounds different in certain spots, could be sign of water intrusion. Pay particilar attention around the trim tabs, transducer mount, thru hull fittings, and motor bolts.

Good luck in your search,

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
NIGHTIDES, how ?rude? of me. Welcome to the BassBarn. I too am relatively new and have found this site to be full of great people giving sound advice. Enjoy!

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Bar Hopper,
A Big Welcome to You Also to the BassBarn.Com.
Glad To Have You Aboard.....
Thanks For The Kind Words....

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tom, thanks a 1,000,000 I will make a list of all your recommendations and do each and everyone. Thank you for the great advice.

One eye willy anyone who goes to Gavin?s so infrequently is alright by me. Since we are in the neighborhood if I get this boat I?ll give you a shout and maybe we could wet a line.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Bar Hopper:

My hull had one of the old OMC Sea Drives on her that I replaced the same year I got the rig. Put on a Gil bracket with a Rude 200hp twisting a 17" pitch prop. She tops out at 43mph and I cruise her at 25-28mph at 3,800rpm. Gets 2.33mpg.

The year change to the SeaV2 hull was in 1992. The 1985 pounds more than the newer design but that's my only gripe.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks NIGHTIDES. Makes sense they improved the hull when they made the change in '92. Wish the '92's where in my price range.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts