BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am going to use a 16' w/90 hp in the back bays of avalon and stone harbor, nj. Is it mandatory to have taken a safety course? and Is it nessesary to have a boating license? I am unfamiliar with NJ Laws. Any help Would be great.
thanks

·
Registered
690 Posts
A safety course is always a good idea. As far as what I know, as long as you are in tidal waters and not a lake, you are not required to have a boaters license. Also, it is helpful if you are operating in unfarmiliar waters to bring a friend or someone with you to show you the waters. Alot of backbays have very shallow areas that are hard to see, but remarkably easy to find when you run up on them. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Watch the waters behind there. Take your time and do a little exploring at a low tide. It will suprise you how shallow they get in areas that look lke there should be a ton of water. Other than that you dont need any license or classes to operate your boat in tidal waters, however the Coast Guard corse was etremely helpful to me when I started afew years back. Have fun.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I could be wrong, but I believe the age of the driver has a factor in it all too. (if unattended by an adult) If memory serves under 17 requires a course? Maybe someone can clarify that.

As for those waters I have to echo jRIGZguy. I've been fishing back there my whole life and not only are there a lot of very shallow flats, and steep rises, but the waters and channels shift throughout the year. Take some time to go slow and scout it out before pegging the throttle. Also, the police routinely stop boats back there. If you speed they will nail you. If you have a bottle of anything in your hand they will stop you....as a matter of fact, if you even make eye-contact they will stop you. (I'm not joking about that one) Make sure everything you are required to have on the boat is there (including propertly installed license numbers) And have fun. Tons of great fishing spots there too.

·
Registered
489 Posts
under 16 must have certificate AND the boat must be over 12' with less than 10hp

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
The law states ANYONE born after Jan. 1st 1979 needs to have completed a boating safety course and passed and recieved there boating liscense, this is the same for PWC's. You can go to the NJ Marine police website to check it out!

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Originally posted by KeysKid:
The law states ANYONE born after Jan. 1st 1979 needs to have completed a boating safety course and passed and recieved there boating liscense, this is the same for PWC's. You can go to the NJ Marine police website to check it out!
What Josh said is true to a point.
You need to have taken an approved boating safety course or the testout to GET a "NJ Boating Safety Certificate". Boaters born after Jan 1 1979 must have the NJ Boating Safety Certificate to operate a boat over 10 hp.
PWCs - everyone has to have the boating safety certificate and minimum age is 16 to operate a PWC
The NJ State Boating Safety book availible at the DMV explains the requirements better.
The bottom line is that just attending a boating course alone is not good enough for NJ.

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
NJ boating facts:

Operating Requirements
Licenses, certificates and safety

Persons 12 years old or younger may not remain onboard any underway vessel (except short-run ferries and large commercial vessels longer than 65 feet) unless they are properly wearing a U.S. Coast Guard approved personal flotation device.

Persons under 13 years may not operate any power vessel.

Persons 13-15 years old may operate a power vessel of less than 1 HP, a vessel powered by a 12 volt trolling motor, or a vessel 12 feet or longer powered by less than 10 HP if they have successfully completed an approved boating safety course and have a boating safety certificate in their possession. Anyone, of any age, may operate those vessels without a boat license.

Persons 16 years old or older may operate any recreational power vessel.
Persons operating on nontidal waters must also carry a New Jersey boat license. In addition, a person born in 1979 or later and all operators of personal watercraft ? less than 16 feet long equipped with an internal combustion engine that powers a water jet pump that can't be disengaged as to prevent the vessel from making headway ? must complete an approved boating safety course and carry the certificate whenever operating the vessel. They must present this certificate when they apply for a boat license to operate on nontidal waters.

As stated above in other posts, a Safety Course is a good thing!

Enjoy your boating in NJ.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts