BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
287 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I never had boat insurance before, because the boat was allways paid off and trailered. This year I bought a 21ft and will be putting it in a slip.I don't have a boat loan on it, but I think that I should carry insurance on it because it won't be in my sight everyday. The blue book value is about 18,000 I only paid 10,000. My question is what amount should I insure it at?, and what insurance seems to be the best?. I did get a quote for boatUS, but haven't tried other carriers yet, though I would check out what you guys think. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
19,698 Posts
Schwepp,
I have State Farm for Boat insurance. They are the cheapest. Now Home Owners is another story.

Here are the specs on my insurance
Boat and Motor $10,500
Trailer $2500
WaterCraft Liability $100,000
WaterCraft Medical $1,000
Both of those are low.

I have a 250 deductible, and I have my NON-boating equipment (ie. Fishing poles, fish finder, GPS) insured for 2,000 with a 100 dollar deductible

State Farm is charging me $229.00 per year.
The boat is a 20' 6" C-Hawk Center Console.

I have never had to file a claim with them, and I hope I never have to in the future.

·
Registered
5,180 Posts
Schwepp if its in the slip,dont leave home without it ;) ,at least insure it for what ya have into it,Vinny

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
Schwepp,

You should check out the Bass Barns very Own Insurance GURU,
Capt. Joe Sullivan, with Summit Insurance.
He has taken care of me and a whole lot of captains on this board.
Best part is, He is a straight shooter. If he can't help you, He'll tell you, and won't beat around the bush. I like that about a guy, NO NONSENCE.

Check him out on the Barns Main page.

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Make sure you get the best coverage you can afford. An accident on the water could cost you hundreds of thousands of $$$$$. Just think about what you see in law suits, oil and gas spill clean up, hitting some one else's boat. You work to hard to have it all taken away for not spending a couple of hundred dollars a year!!!!

·
Registered
7,075 Posts
Seadated,
thanks for the kind words, to borrow a Phrase from
the Nutty Professor - "I'm Fattered"
Some of you may not know this but I DO NOT handle small Boat insurance. In many cases a policy from Allstate or State Farm is the best thing, but always " Caveat Emptor - or buyer beware". I would not have insurance on the water for any vessel, unless it had Pollution Insurance coverage. Many inexpensive policy's lack this important feature. There are many fine programs fopr smaller vessels.

If you have a boat 28' or larger I can certainly speak to you about a competetive quote. Charter Boats are up my alley as well,
Captn Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts