BASS BARN banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
792 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I am trying to ready the 15' whaler for the season and I am running into some issues. The boat was not in the water last summer so has sat winterized in the garage for almost 2 years now. I am not very good with engines so please bear with me on this one.

1) The engine trim is not working. I recharged the battery and when I hit the trim (up or down) on both the throtle and engine I hear this soft noise coming from in the engine. I took off the cover and determined it to be coming from an electrical area on the starboard side. Would it be some kind of a fuse or rusty wiring???

2) Try to move the steering wheel and its all froze up. Is the steering cable shot or you think I should grease the shaft at base of engine. Will I have to replace the whole cable?

Sorry if these questions seem stupid. Just trying to figure out the issues at hand. Thanks in advance for any assistance.

-Brian

·
Registered
596 Posts
sound like a clicking noise could be relays not working or bad connections to them

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
On your steering issue, once that cable stiffens up to that point, I myself would just go ahead and replace it. This way you know you'll have no failure or loss of steering while underway. I've done quite a few.
On the trim and tilt issue, I do a process of elimination. I disconnect the tilt motor harness and apply power to the motor directly. If it works, you know the motor is operational. Capt.Matt

·
Registered
3,894 Posts
Brian,

You have 2 options...take the boat to a trusted local mechanic or purchase the actual service manual for the engine, which will teach you about the engine and it's systems and also help you trouble shoot your issues. I have purchased the manualsfor the last two engines that I have gotten on boats and they were very helpful in teaching me about the engines. It has been well worth the $75 or so the books cost. I had a tilt trim issue with a 115 Merc. I replaced the selonoids, etc andit turned out to be the switch on the brand new binacle control. By reading the manual, I figured out how to jump the selenoid with a screw driver and raise and lower the engine.

The steering cable may be old and the oil dries up at the end and moisture gets into the cable and rusts up the engine end, especially if it has not moved in 2 years, the oil/grease is probably all dried up. Do yourself a favor and buy a new one. You can also get a complete helm assembly for a few dollars more than the cable and you will be good to go for many years.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts