BASS BARN banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been thinking of getting a Carolina Skiff JVX 18CC to learn how to fly fish for stripers and weaks in the bays of south jersey. Does anyone have apotions on the JVX? With a trailer and either a 70 hp Etec of Yam 4 stroke, the boat goes for around $14,500 (would still need to buy a trolling motor and electronics). Are there any other options to consider without breaking the bank?

·
Premium Member
5,199 Posts
Don't know about JVX but a lot of people get lots of use out of Carolina Skiff. Good GPS w/sounder.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Lots of options! Don't worry so much about "fly fishing friendly" options and boats geared toward fly fisherman, there is no such thing. A boat is a boat, pop up cleats are nice but you don't need them to catch fish with a fly rod

On a budget get a used hull with newer 4-stroke power. You can't beat a flat bottom skiff like carolina for shallow water capability!

Carolina skiff, southern skimmer, boston whaler older hull, wood garvey, jones brothers, all good options.

good luck! Remember a boat is only as good as the engine!

·
Registered
8,076 Posts
I would look for a good used boat. You should be able to pick up a nice boat motor and trailer and possibly a electric motor at a good price. Epecially for your first boat. You can see how it works for you and know much better what you want on your next one.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Boat

I run a 17 foot Triumph center with a 60 hp Yamaha, fuel injected. I upgraded the prop to a Rapture cupped stainless. I can not say enough good about this motor. Super quiet, that's important, your often fishing in shallower water. Super reliable, never had a problem, never, an this boat is used quite a bit. 19 would be better but I went for super shallow draft.
That being said, any boat can be made "fly rod friendly". Covers for your cleats? cut a pool noodle into taper ended pieces and pop them on when you're ready to fish. Cover problematic areas with a wet towel, an old siene net. Install vertical fly rod holders, hold regular rods to. Put them on the console. I reccomend IFLY holders. They're fantastic. I have three mounted on each ide of my console. The little things that need to be addressed are easy to take care of. The larger the standing area the better. Helps with not stepping on your line. Simply just good "housekeeping" will help. Have a place for boxes, bags and gear. Keep it out of the way. Your fly line will find every buckle, hinge and zipper that's any where near your stripped line. Even your shoe laces.

I've always found those Carolina skiffs to POUND the stuff out of ya. Get a boat that you like from a performance standpoint. If it gets snotty out, will it beat you up or be unsafe? Speed as well is important. You don't need to run 60 knts but, you don't want to have to take an hour and a half to get to that "other spot" or where you see birds or bait. My Triumph does about 32 MPH wot, with three guys and a full load of gear and 20 gallons of fuel. I find it quite sufficient for a boat that size and seaworthyness. Any faster could be dangerous.

I put a Garmin GPS/depth finder on mine when I ordered it. That, is a must have. The thing is phenominal. Especially if you may visit other waters.

Good luck with your pick. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I also like Rays suggestion. Think about a used boat. A nice, clean, well maintained one. They're readily available these days and if it's not for you, you won't loose the bank.

·
Registered
14,021 Posts
While John and Ray are correct, I have a 16JVX with a 40 etec and I can say it's a fantastic platform for flyfishing, basically as is.

You have a perfect setup up front for standing and casting, and in the back you can just use a bucket on the floor or by the motor to strip in line. No worries.

I have little trouble with the cleats as the JVX doesnt have a bow cleat per se.

I'll add a gps/depth sounder combo are invaluable, and a trolling motor is "almost" essential.

One thing, the triumph looks like it is a little better if you desire to go out front.... for myself 99.999% is in the back bays and the car skiff is fantastic for that.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
While John and Ray are correct, I have a 16JVX with a 40 etec and I can say it's a fantastic platform for flyfishing, basically as is.

You have a perfect setup up front for standing and casting, and in the back you can just use a bucket on the floor or by the motor to strip in line. No worries.

I have little trouble with the cleats as the JVX doesnt have a bow cleat per se.

I'll add a gps/depth sounder combo are invaluable, and a trolling motor is "almost" essential.

One thing, the triumph looks like it is a little better if you desire to go out front.... for myself 99.999% is in the back bays and the car skiff is fantastic for that.
Just looked up that JVX, nice boat. It reminded me, I used to have a problem where the stripped fly line, laying on the deck would blow over and get stuck in the seam where the consol mounts to the deck. I put a small bead of silicone caulk all along the seam, it worked perfectly.
Robs right, my boat spends 99.999% of it's life, out front. Rips, the hook and IBSP all the time. I frequently run from Sandy Hook over to Long Island and back again several times a day in the fall season. Don't spend much time in the back bays.

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for the info everyone. I looked up the Triumph and watched the tough test videos -WOW :eek: Loved the one where they are dragging the boat around behind a truck and whip it into a tree with no damage. But a quick look through some used boat websites shows '07 and '08 17'CC going for about the same $ as a new CS JVX 18 (appr $14,500).

·
Registered
6,419 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

How is the ride on choppy days/nights? Hopefully the mod-v helps on the back. Wet or dry?

·
Registered
14,021 Posts
How is the ride on choppy days/nights? Hopefully the mod-v helps on the back. Wet or dry?
It handles mild chop ok....better than the D or regular flat J hulls, but while you can hide behind the center console a bit with a heavy chop and cross wind you will get wet. And it gets a bit rocky in the inlets and since it's flat from mid to aft it will pound if you try to run in anything steep. Such is a Carolina skiff but in the right conditions you can take them far if desired.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
Thanks for the info everyone. I looked up the Triumph and watched the tough test videos -WOW :eek: Loved the one where they are dragging the boat around behind a truck and whip it into a tree with no damage. But a quick look through some used boat websites shows '07 and '08 17'CC going for about the same $ as a new CS JVX 18 (appr $14,500).
That is true, they hold thier value. I'm ok with that. :D There is a reason for that, they're great. As I said, I love mine. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
I'll throw my .02 in also. I have a Maycraft 1900 w/115 Yamaha set up to flyfish. This boat will take me anywhere I want to go to chase fish. It handles very well when it's nasty, doesn't roll on the drift. Holds plenty of fuel. perfect setup for what I do. SO if you like a little more freeboard than the CS or Triumph take a look.

·
Registered
4,852 Posts
I've fished on Kenny's boat. In fact, that's me in the pic. It is a fantastic fishing boat. Ton's of room and really stable. If you can afford the jing, it would be a definite contender. It's a beautiful vessel.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Fly fishing boat

I would also look at a used 17' Whaler , stable , safe platform to throw a line. Used price might be right , hulls built to last !
Just a thought owned several up to 25' liked them all for what I fished for from fluke to gt. Tuna!!

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
The boat I currently drooling over for fly fishing and fishing in general is the andros boat works backwater 18... Seems like the perfect boat for what I would use it for.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Flat decks

Three years ago when I went looking for fly fishing friendly boats, one of the more important features was the front casting deck. I wanted a flat deck from transom to bow (with no step to fall off of).

The short list of boats that satisfied this were: Parker, McKee Craft, and Jones Brothers. I went with a used 18 ft Parker, which cost a little less than the amount you're talking about. It has pop-down cleats and a pop-down bow light so there's nothing for fly line to snag on the bow. It's performed flawlessly so I have no complaints.

If you go this route, it is worth the money and peace of mind to have a competent surveyor inspect and sea trial the boat before you buy.

Good luck and have fun.

-- Fly Rod

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.