BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a bass tracker, 17 foot w/ a 150 mariner on it. I cannot get it to plane. I have a 23 pitch aluminum prop. when i give it gas it raises the front end and doesnt drop. Also cant really get speed,. I guess because its pushing all that water and not getting up. Has anyone ever used them things that you mount on the motor that supposed to plain it?

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
A 150 should more than get that boat up on plane without any foils or anything else. You should have the motor trimmed all the way down when taking off and progressively trim the motor up to gain less wetted hull and more speed. If your motor can't plane that boat out it has a problem that won't be solved by add ons. :)

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
When we used that particular boat.We had no problem with speed or plane. This is the one you bought from my son last year. I remember seeing you post about the tilt trim being inoperative, did you get that fixed? That could be the problem. Hope this helps.:)

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, well i took the 115 off cause the crankshaft was bad. I put a 150 on it. I remeber him telling me that he had trouble before he put the foiles on it. im hoping that will be the problem. When I have the boat opened up I cannot tilt the motor up only down. and if i leave the motor up it automatically goes down after i gain a lil speed. I caught alot of fish off that boat in the last year

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Sounds like you have a motor/prop issue... You should have ZERO problems getting that boat to plane with 150hp on it.

What's the full specs of that prop?
Our 150 etec has a 19 pitch prop...

You might have too much prop there, not letting the motor spin up to full power, thus sticking you in the hole..

ETA - when you swapped motors, did it change length of the lower unit?

·
Registered
7,824 Posts
Even with the motor in the full down position, you should be able to plane out just fine, unless the motor is weak, or the motor is way over propped, which I doubt. That boat should run in the 50's if it is running correct.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts