BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some pretty heavy oxidation on my gelcoat. What is the best compound and polish in your opinion. I really dont want to polish for three months:thumbsdown:

·
Vendor
946 Posts
We use 3M products quite a bit with good success. They make a liquid (which makes application easier) Rubbing Compound, Super Duty Rubbing compound, and also a Marine High Gloss Gelcoat compound (which is better for fiberglass gelcoat applications). The Super Duty and Marine Compounds are even available in gallon size. A good high-speed polisher also makes the difference. I'm not talking the $30 Orbital Polisher special at Walmart either; I mean something like a Dewalt DW849 (http://www.dewalt.com/tools/metalworking-polishers-dw849.aspx) or similar. Also you will need a good set of polishing/buffing pads to go with it. TRUST me a polisher of this magnitude makes it SO much easier!! Just remember to keep a firm grip because they pack quite a bit of torque and will spin right off the hull and out of your grasp.:thumbsup:
If that all fails you can wet sand the hull with 1200-1500 grit wet sandpaper then polish with a light duty polish like 3M Restorer w/Wax. This is time consuming but on a highly oxidized hull it may be the only option esp. if its Black, Blue or Red.:wave:

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
I have some pretty heavy oxidation on my gelcoat. What is the best compound and polish in your opinion. I really dont want to polish for three months:thumbsdown:
Pay one of the detail guys on here to do it. When they show up, grab a lawn chair, crack a beer, and tell them how hard the job must be. In the end it will look good and you will have an enjoyable day with cocktail in hand:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Dupont no. 7 is very good as well. Just do small areas. I think West Marine has products for boats that may be easier.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
Here is one of my old posts on the subject. I just cut and copied it from an old thread.

I did my Grady and it was like a piece of floating chalk when I bought it. It came up a great and people said it would not last but they were wrong it has lasted just fine.

First off you need a real polisher/buffer. I bought one of these Makita's http://www.tylertool.com/mak927elsan...FZJ95Qod9UTTvg

I then bought a bottle of 3M Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound. With a Wool Bonnet I did the whole boat just as the directions specified. Just clean your bonnet and watch you edges so you do not burn throught the gel-coat. This will cut the oxidation and the gelcoat.

Next I got a bottle of 3M Finnesse and did the whole boat just like I did I did with the HD rubbing compound previously. The finnese is a polish and will bring the color up nice.

Then I waxed the whole boat one time with Colonite Fleetwax which is a wax and cleaner in one. The I waxed the boat again with Colonite Fiberglass boat wax. All wax is applied by hand with an applicator pad and then taken off with a cloth diaper. Now you can clean spots later with Fleetwax and then wax the spots again with the Fiberglass boat wax as needed.

It is a lot of work but it is worth it in the end.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
Here is one of my old posts on the subject. I just cut and copied it from an old thread.

I did my Grady and it was like a piece of floating chalk when I bought it. It came up a great and people said it would not last but they were wrong it has lasted just fine.

First off you need a real polisher/buffer. I bought one of these Makita's http://www.tylertool.com/mak927elsan...FZJ95Qod9UTTvg

I then bought a bottle of 3M Heavy Duty Rubbing Compound. With a Wool Bonnet I did the whole boat just as the directions specified. Just clean your bonnet and watch you edges so you do not burn throught the gel-coat. This will cut the oxidation and the gelcoat.

Next I got a bottle of 3M Finnesse and did the whole boat just like I did I did with the HD rubbing compound previously. The finnese is a polish and will bring the color up nice.

Then I waxed the whole boat one time with Colonite Fleetwax which is a wax and cleaner in one. The I waxed the boat again with Colonite Fiberglass boat wax. All wax is applied by hand with an applicator pad and then taken off with a cloth diaper. Now you can clean spots later with Fleetwax and then wax the spots again with the Fiberglass boat wax as needed.

It is a lot of work but it is worth it in the end.:thumbsup:
:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: My only suggestion is to use the 3M HD ultra paste wax. It seems to last much longer.

We do this every spring and my boat looks like a mirror until I have my way with the old Gal for an entire season.

·
Registered
30 Posts
I bought an old 75' MFG tri-hull. I then purchased Vertiglas. It really did the job, holds up well and is easy to use. Just follow the directions. Great kit. I have had a lot of "nice boat." comments as a result. I did a lot of research. This boat was so dull.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts