BASS BARN banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always get great answers from everyone on this site. I am going to look at a boat to hopefully bring back as my own. I know about a survey, sea trial and so forth. My question is if I decide to lay out the cash, what do I need to do as far as sealing the deal. The boat is in Virginia from a private seller. What has to be done to make her mine? Paperwork? Title? Taxes? Tags? Etc. Any help would really make me feel alot more comfortable about the whole situation. Thanks Barry

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
the basics are if you pay cash you will need a bill of sale..the title for the boat signed by the seller..the title for the trailer signed by the seller..but a lot depends on where you plan to title the boat...but titles and bill of sale are a general must have

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
I once sold a boat to a Dr. from VA. He came to see the boat, we made a deal and then we agreed that I would take the ferry to Lewes with the boat for delivery. He made it 200 yards out of the parking lot and a whole bank of rollers fell off the trailer and he ended up in Lewes for 2 days. I told him repeatedly that the trailer was in no condition for a journey of that length and I put it in the agreement of sale that the trailer was being sold as-is, but it still happened.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
I always get great answers from everyone on this site. I am going to look at a boat to hopefully bring back as my own. I know about a survey, sea trial and so forth. My question is if I decide to lay out the cash, what do I need to do as far as sealing the deal. The boat is in Virginia from a private seller. What has to be done to make her mine? Paperwork? Title? Taxes? Tags? Etc. Any help would really make me feel alot more comfortable about the whole situation. Thanks Barry
Are you going to buy the boat in person? Or are you going to buy it thru the mail?

Thru the mail you want him to send a photo copy of any title he has. The title(s) should state free of any liens on the boat and trailer. I don't recommend you buy a boat this way..because you'll be sending a check and hoping he sends the signed title to you.

If you go down to VA to do the deal you'll see everything first hand.

NJ does not require a bill of sale from a state that has boat titles. Same with states that have titles on trailers. I'm not sure is VA titles boats or trailers. If they don't then you'll need notarized Bill's of Sale signed by the seller.

The best thing you can have on the trailer from a state that doesn't title trailer is the COO.. Certificate of Origin. All trailers come with this paper. If he has it you need it. If he doesn't and the info sticker is not readable on the trailer the worse that can happen is you register the trailer as homemade....but you'll still get a license plate for it.

I have generic Bill's of Sale I can send you if you email me. Easy to re-word for each state and covers all the "as is" crap...

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
For Gods sake, do not buy a boat unseen!!! If you buy anthing more than a skiff thru eBay, well good luck.
NJ does not title small boat trailers anymore. I think the limit is 5000# empty trailer weight. They do need to old Reg.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
NJ can be a real pain when it comes to registering out of state boats and trailers. Do yourself a favor and get a notarized bill of sale - Its happened where I was told I didn't need one but then local dmv wouldn't accept it without it - became a real pain. If the trailer only has a registration that is ok - just make sure the info on the trailer is on the bill of sale - and get the registration you will need it. As you can see from my signature I do buy a few boats - shoot me an email if you want more info.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The plan is to see the boat in person, do a sea trial, inspect after the trial and negotiate a price accordingly. I have been in contact with the seller. Plenty of pictures and info on the boat. Now it's time to see for myself. The boat is a 2000 Kencraft Challenger 206 the trailer and motor are the same year. I will be emailing Dunk, and sraab928. Thanks guys I'm feeling more confident about the process. Thanks

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.