BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i been lurking for awhile. Im on the other site alot the buckbarn my name on there is jerseygsp. Now the hunting season is winding down im gearing up for fishing. Now for my question im looking to buy my first boat. Im trying to get one for fishing and the family. My wife wants a pontoon boat. But i told her im not sure of there safety always thought of them as a lake boat. I like the carolina skiffs. I want a boat 17ft and under im gonna trailer it every where. Now i heard the older skiffs are ruff riding and you get wet. Im looking to buy new do they still have these problems. I want a boat for back bay fishing and crabbing. So could anyone offer some info on these boats or something else that would be fisher friendly and good for the family. I mainly will be backbay fishing brigatine and summers point. I dont ever plan on going in the ocean with what ever i buy.thanks for the help

·
Registered
4,551 Posts
i dont think your wife would be happy with a skiff if she was thinking pontoon deck boat...i would look into a 17 to 18 foot dual console with a 90hp outboard...can fish ski or lounge all in one

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
IMHO, pontoon boats are better for lakes and don't trailer well (very wide). I had a 20' for a season and moored it on Union Lake in Millville. I wouldn't want to have trailered it on a regular basis. They are also greatly affected by wind conditions, and if the pontoons are aluminum, they can develop pinholes if not rinsed properly. They do have lots of room and are comfy, but I wouldn't want to fish the bay off of one. Also, I don't think I've ever seen a 17' pontoon. 18' may be the smallest.

Check out the Boston Whaler Montauk if you can afford it:

http://www.bostonwhaler.com/Page.aspx/pageId/29592/pmid/268463/170-Montauk.aspx

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
I have a j16 carolina skiff cc, perfect for back bay, very economical, and easy to trailer. Perfect for two adults. I have 25 on mine and have hit 30 mph, just not real good in a chop as it is flat bottom. Alot of fun, you can fish, crab, and even pull a tube no problem? Easy to maintain. Good luck!:)

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hey pattyboy how is as far getting wet? Are you getting sprayed the hwhole time your driving it?

·
Registered
211 Posts
Spot there is a web site dedicated to Carolina skiffs where you can get all your questions answered by the owners of Cskiffs....Carolinaskiffowner.com here is the link
http://www.carolinaskiffowner.com

The older models and the ones designated as semi V do get wet..the DLX models and DLV models are a lot drier....check that site out...hope this helps

·
Registered
395 Posts
Pontoons are great in Florida in case you hit an oyster bed or coral rock, but just dont seem to handle our back bay waters/wakes too well. You can rent them at Scott's Dock in Margate I believe. You should contact C-Phase on the Barn. He has a sweet Carolina Skiff out of GE inlet and has put that boat to every possible use. Also the AC Boat Show is the 1st weekend in February. They should have lots of boats in your target area. Good luck!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I aggree with Angler Dave. If the wife was thinking pontoon she won't like the skiff. I reccomend not buying anything without trying first if possible. Also good boat shows coming up in AC, Baltimore, and Oaks, PA. 17' bowrider/dual console with a deadrise of 15 to 20 deg. Imho if the boat is too light you feel the wakes more. Look at what your maximum weight for thetow vehicle is and stay a little under that. I have had two 19' boats that trailer nicely.

P.S. Let us know what you end up with. Good shopping.

·
Registered
575 Posts
I have a pontoon and fish out of OC. If you want to test it just nlet me know, we can go fishing in the spring. It is a great bay boat. Not a good ocean boat. My next boat will be a cc.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Spot, love the boat in the back, pretty much never got wet. However, come late October til nov, then you never know. I take my skiff into the inlet all the time in the summer months. Because of the flatness, you can't cut through the waves like a v hull can. I bought my boat which is an 04 boat and 04 mercury, for about what your looking to pay, trailer included. Give me a shout with questions! Great little boat man, 15 dollars gets me 3days of nonstop puttin around in the back. My girls are 7 and 5, don't fish yet, but like to take rides!:)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
How many members does the family consist of? Would make a difference in your choices. I bought a Palm Beach 16 footer at the boat show 12 years ago. 50 hp Suzuki 4 stroke, put 1000 hours on it. Split the ownership with a good friend who bought me out recently because I moved up to a bigger boat as the family got bigger. The Palm Beach is by no means a high end boat, but for the time I owned it was ideal for backbay fishing in the Brig/AC area. Whole package was around $11K. We put gas in the boat every 5th or 6th trip, motor sipped gas. Perfect size for 2 guys to fish out of, or a family with 2 young kids. Trailered easy. Modified vee which drifted great, didn't pound like flat bottom boat can. Here is a picture from the Palm Beach site....

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
How many members does the family consist of? Would make a difference in your choices. I bought a Palm Beach 16 footer at the boat show 12 years ago. 50 hp Suzuki 4 stroke, put 1000 hours on it. Split the ownership with a good friend who bought me out recently because I moved up to a bigger boat as the family got bigger. The Palm Beach is by no means a high end boat, but for the time I owned it was ideal for backbay fishing in the Brig/AC area. Whole package was around $11K. We put gas in the boat every 5th or 6th trip, motor sipped gas. Perfect size for 2 guys to fish out of, or a family with 2 young kids. Trailered easy. Modified vee which drifted great, didn't pound like flat bottom boat can. Here is a picture from the Palm Beach site....
That's what I wanted, but could not afford, opted for my current boat, for about 4 grand with cost guard package and tricked out with electronics and all. In two seasons I have learned alot. Recently thought about upgrading, whenever I do, this thing on my right shoulder tells me to be happy with what I got. Whenever I want to go into the ocean or d bay, I just give John on the unreel a call. My boat can be launched in 3 minutes without any stress by myself. Flounder, stripers, tog, jimmy crabs is what I catch on this skiff, clean off, flush the motor, and I'm good till the next trip. 25 motor very easy to work on if you are mechanicly inclined. Just winterized, changed thermostats, and impellers without a problem. So easy to maintain, and the fiberglass hull is virtually unsinkable. That's what makes me love this little rig!

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Spot,

So, you wanna own a boat? :eek: :D

You're off to a good start by getting lots of opinions. Some things I would add:

- Go to the AC boat show with the family, and look at all the different styles, and the room (or lack thereof) that different types of boats will offer. You may find that you really like certain models or are completely turned off by them just by stepping foot on them.

- Make some friends (you probably already have) and go out on their boats before you buy anything.

- Go cheap in the beginning. Good chance that no matter what you buy initially, you're going to figure out what you do and don't like about it and will look to upgrade as soon as finances permit. Buy something functional that you can use to get your bearings, but also resell should you decide you want something different.

- You're always going to want something a litte bigger, or newer, or faster, or roomier, or something, so don't worry about getting it perfect on the first shot.

- Whatever you've factored in money-wise for upkeep and general costs...... DOUBLE IT....... It always costs more to keep/run/maintain the boat than you think.

Good Luck. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
134 Posts
I bought a 2004 palm beach 17 cc w a 75 hp ..great boat no bells and whistles straight foward fishing boat doesnt need much water to float and has a slight v so it handles the chop better than the skiff . I would recommend it to anyone looking for a first boat. I love it.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Hi Spot,

Good luck with whatever you buy.

I thought about a pontoon and then came to my senses :D
Did ALL my homework when looking new and for what I needed the CS made the best choice and best bang for my buck.

Started out with the 198 DLV, used it for 6 moths and wanted bigger:D
Sold it and stepped up to the 238 DLV. The DLV is a MUCH better hull, drier and smoother ride then the Flat bottom DLX.

The DLV is a Semi V, just like the Boston Whaler and about a 1/3 of the cost.

You can see the Semi V on my 238

If your considering a 17' however I would strongly suggest riding in one first. Since the boat is almost half as wide as it is long, it will pound the snot out of you in a short tight chop.

This is what I discovered in my 198 DLV and then riding in a buddies 218 DLV, The ride was night and day, and I would think the same would be true going from a 17 to 19.

I also picked up a 16' flat bottom tiller skiff for crabbing,,,etc. We use this boat almost as much if not more then the big one.

Check out that Link Willie posted if you want full skiff info.

Good luck

·
Registered
698 Posts
" I recomend not buying anything without trying first if possible".

I second this very strongly. You wouldn't buy a car, especially not even knowing type you want, before buying would you?

Maybe try some rental trips with the wife. Rands in Tuckerton area has pontoons to rent I think as well as skiffs. It would be well worth the initial expense.

I have an 18 ft Tracker Targa which has a windshield and you get wet with that too somedays but not if you go slower. My 16 ft jon boat you almost always get wet.

·
Registered
9,224 Posts
Hey guys i been lurking for awhile. Im on the other site alot the buckbarn my name on there is jerseygsp. Now the hunting season is winding down im gearing up for fishing. Now for my question im looking to buy my first boat. Im trying to get one for fishing and the family. My wife wants a pontoon boat. But i told her im not sure of there safety always thought of them as a lake boat. I like the carolina skiffs. I want a boat 17ft and under im gonna trailer it every where. Now i heard the older skiffs are ruff riding and you get wet. Im looking to buy new do they still have these problems. I want a boat for back bay fishing and crabbing. So could anyone offer some info on these boats or something else that would be fisher friendly and good for the family. I mainly will be backbay fishing brigatine and summers point. I dont ever plan on going in the ocean with what ever i buy.thanks for the help
Pontoon boats dont get much respect in the NE but they are extremely popular down here in Florida. I think im the only one in my neighborhood that doesnt have one. There is a realtor in Brigantine that takes his off the beach front all the time for bass when its nice. All that being said for hard core fishing rather then family outings you might want a semi V. Just remember the old saying. "When you are buying a used boat, Your paying for the motor" Make sure you have the motor checked out by a qualified mechanic. If your going to trailer alot a good trailer is worth an extra grand over a beat up rusted one.

·
Registered
7,068 Posts
Pontoon boats dont get much respect in the NE but they are extremely popular down here in Florida.
No wonder no one answered the door at the shop when I came knocking..... :D

No,
I saw the "See you next spring" sign and never got out of the truck.:wave:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I agree with all of the posts. My thoughts are to go with a boat that you would be able to sneek out in the ocean every once in a while. If you are going to fish I dont think you would want to limit yourself to just the back bay (no Striper fishing after 12/31 though;)...sorry had to do it).

There are going to be times that your wife and/or kids wont want to go and you do. It would be nice to not limit yourself. Great time to buy with the boat show coming up. Good luck and like another poster said let us know what you deciede:wave:

ps. JZ how was skiing?

1 - 20 of 62 Posts