BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I came up with this post as a way for us to learn about all the different ramps out there. Tell a little bit about a certain ramp; what you like about it, not like about it, where it's at, what you can get to, etc.

The ramps I'm familiar with are in the Ocean City area. I fish a 14' V-hull and have my kids with me so I take these into consideration when launching.

Kennedy Park in Somers Point. I like this because it can get you to different areas. It can get shallow at low tide, but it's not a problem for me with a 14' alum boat. I can launch and be in the channel in about 10 seconds. If it's too crowded, I can go over to Rainbow channel in about 3 min. If I am tired of getting pounded by the wakes, I can go about 1/4 mile to the no wake zone. If it's early morning, and I don't have the kids, I can take a 10 minute ride over to the inlet.

Corson's Inlet State Park. This is where I go on windy days. It's pretty protected expecially when the winds are comming in from the Ocean. It's close to the inlet, although in my boat I try not to get "into" the inlet. When I want the kids to have fun, I go to the bend where the inlet starts and it's always full of small blues. Last year, for the first time, I took a right out of the ramp and went up the intercoastal. Bad decision on a weekend. The channel was kind of narrow and some of the boats just blew through there.

That's the two ramps I use, but want to learn about others. If you have ramp info, including additions to these, post em.

Al

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Bree Zee Lee Cape May
2 lane concrete ramp
floating docks for 1 or 2 boats on each side
Not too steep, not to shallow
The ramp is NOT covered in mud and the end of ramp is marked.
Heavily used.
Parking is within the marina and in the spring, very tough to find an opening.
Closed Dec to late March
As of last weekend there was a 30 something foot sailbote sunk and sticking out into the opening on the end of the docks where you make your right turn leaving.
Was $10 last year.
Access to CM Inlet is 2 minutes away.
5 miles to Del Bay.
Portapotties available
Small bait and tackle shop on site. Bait is limited to squid and minnows.
Gas dock.
When you leave the marina bulkhead, head for the USCG Base Boiler house (3 smoke stacks)until the bottom drops off >6ft. Very shallow to the left.
Marina dog's name is Breezy.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
Mad Horse Creek Wildlife Area "State" Ramp. Lower Alloways Creek Township, NJ
Concrete ramp covered in mud. Launch at low tide and you could lose your rig sliding down the ramp. Came close to losing mine launching a 12 ft aluminum skiff.
No floating dock
No anything for that matter.
Poorest example of a ramp that your tax dollars can build that I have ever seen.

[ 03-08-2005, 06:05 AM: Message edited by: High Wire ]

·
Registered
31,738 Posts
BreeZeeLee is definitely a convenient ramp for the ocean fisherman. Bowers Beach in Delaware is a very nice ramp. 3 ramps, tons of parking, bait and tackle on the property, porta-squaties. To launch, you need a $30 yearly permit or have your boat registered in DE. The downside it, if you only use it once or twice a year, it's still $30. It also limits you to fishing the DE Bay unless you want to make a long run.

·
Registered
7,013 Posts
Sea Isle City Municipal Ramp-
2 lanes- no floaters- but a stationary ramp on the right side.

Can get crouded as well.
When an attendant is there- usually main summer months and weekends before and after- youwill pay $10, I think.

No lights at night. Plenty of parking- but that can get filled as well.

Current rips through there- and the ramp drops off pretty good- the end is NOT marked. Pretty hard to use at low tide, but with a 14" boat it should be OK.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Whale Creek, its easy to get to and not very crowded. It gets you to Corsen's and some nice small creeks. SIC ramp can be a hassle most days. There is also a bait store there that Karen runs. Get there early and you plenty of parking at Whale Creek.

·
Registered
1,881 Posts
Port Norris Marina. Nice double ramp concrete with good traction. floating docks on both and the parking is not bad. Bait is no problem you can get just about anything you need. Good for hitting the bay areas Maurice River cove. Good company.

·
Registered
508 Posts
High Wire , End of last year Bree Zee was $15 to use. Other than that great place to launch. Just for info Jakes Landing Rd. Dennisville has a ramp thats ok for small boats. I wouldn't take anything big there as mud 2-4" on ramp,no floats,hard to get in boat at low water,plus 2mi. run to the bay! Bayway on Rt. 47,Goshen best bet for that area last yr. $15, also Smokeys at Reeds Beach $10 a little tricky at low water. Theres the choices for that part of the Bay

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
Long Reach Marina on the Maurice is very convienient.Great Ramps nice docks,Good Bait and Gas,Nice people to deal with.Downfalls are the Current and guys that have no idea what they are doing that tie up the Ramps when busy.

Greenwich Boat yard next to the Bait Box Restaurant.God food at the restaurant.Ok Ramp Docks on both sides.Limited Bait available.Not bad for $10.

I remember launching off a Trolley Car at Fortescue when i was a kid.I think the guys name was Fats I cant remember the Name I think it was Myers they had Rental boats and a little Restuarant too.My Dad had a 16 Ft V-Hull and we used to fish Flounder Alley and Egg Island Point for Weakies or Flounder.$.50 Shedders and $2 for a pint of Minnies Ah the Good Old Days.HRL :D

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I loved launching off the trolley!!! Is that still there?? You couldn't get up at dead low! Remember that? Thats when I had my 18 ft wellcraft...seems like a long time ago

I also used the bree-z-lee ramp before I could aford a slip!!The ramp pass was the best deal.. I think I have been in the water six years now..I always thought they should have someone directing traffic at the ramp though...one side in and the other out,something..anything!..could have prevented some nasty arguements...we use to roll a fat one a watch the show..its the best on the fourth of july weekend

·
Registered
130 Posts
North Wildwood at 5th street has 2 ramps. One for jet ski's, or smaller boats, and a wider ramp for bigger boats. I've seen both ramps used for either (boats/jet ski's) so it's up to you, and which one you feel comfortable with.I have a 15' Whaler and have no problems dropping or pulling out the boat. I use the larger ramp because thats what I used first and I like it. Ramps are graded nice, cobbled stone surface for good traction, and a large lot for parking. It was $10.00 per use last year, or $150.00 for the season pass bought after June 1st. I bought my pass before the end of May, and it was discounted to $100.00, so find out about early purchase if interested. You can go out to Beach Creek Marina, near the free bridge near North Wildwood,and then towards Stone Harbor or Moores Inlet, or go out to the ICW near the old train tressel, and areas south. Either way you have plenty of options available. Good fishing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
bunka, how can you say longreach has a good ramp. extremely tough at low tide and very easy to drop right off the end. concrete is way too short . It's worth the extra 5 minutes going to port norris marina . much better ramp.

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Longreach has excellent ramps, IF you have a roller trailer and electric winch. With a bunk trailer and low tide, you're out of luck at LR.

Higbee's at Fortescue still has the trolley. No low water issues that I'm aware of, except maybe at blowout tide. Drawbacks; doesn't open till 6 AM, gott'a be back at 4 PM.

You also got Double A at Fortescue. Very shallow angled ramp, high tide is the worst time to launch because you always end up with your vehicle tires, brakes etc in the water.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I have learned my lesson at Longreach. Always plan your trip so that you don't arrive back at low tide!! If you do then drop your buddy off and have him take the truck to Port Norris Marina. I actually split a bunk rail trying a low tide retrieve at Longreach.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Higbee's at Fortescue still has the trolley. No low water issues that I'm aware of, except maybe at blowout tide. Drawbacks; doesn't open till 6 AM, gott'a be back at 4 PM

Was it alway's higbees that had the trolley? I haven't been there in years...I remember having to be back at 4:00...but also remember having a hard time at low water too...

·
Registered
2,978 Posts
Originally posted by TWIN D'S:
Longreach has excellent ramps, IF you have a roller trailer and electric winch. With a bunk trailer and low tide, you're out of luck at LR.

Higbee's at Fortescue still has the trolley. No low water issues that I'm aware of, except maybe at blowout tide. Drawbacks; doesn't open till 6 AM, gott'a be back at 4 PM.

Longreaches ramp fits everyone differently, maybe it just caters to grady's ;)

the trolley they've been talking about is on the bay side in the fort, used it a couple o times, been changing owners off and on, open, closed, once when coming in, winds kicked up, the waves would pick the boat up, then leave only the cart below, SLAM, that was the last time using it. Two guys would ride the cart into the bay, grab your boat, and winch you back up, neat experiance though.

Best free ramp I've used personnally, the millville ramp.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
Yea the going down part wast the best....

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
Oh, I remember that trolley on the bay side now. I didn't even think that was still in operation.
Low water is definitely a problem there.

Design, do you have problems at longreach?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts