BASS BARN banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm buying a winter home in Florida and that will be my permanent residence but will spend 5-6 months in Avalon NJ with my boat. Do I keep it registered in NJ since that is where I will use it the most? Thanks for replys.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
Check what saves you money and doesnt cost you money. I bought a new boat last year and registered to my place in NJ. If I wanted to register it to NY where I live most of the year NY DMV would hit me for the extra sales tax (Difference between NY and NJ tax)

Also see whats cheaper insurance etc.. Also take into account where you use the boat the most. If I had NY registration on the side of my boat traveling in and out of Manasquan river all summer I am sure I would have got checked more. I have NY plates on my car and get pulled over every weekend for speeding 1 MPH over the speed limit in NJ during the summer months. They think I am a bennie I guess. Once I tell them I live in Point Pleasant they let me go.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
If you keep your boat in NJ for 120 consecutive days, then you need to be registered in NJ. I looked into it before I moved my boat over from Delaware. The good part was that since I was a Delaware resident, I din't need to pay NJ sales tax.

Not sure what Florida has to say about it.

·
Registered
359 Posts
I believe that the boat needs to be registered in the state of principle use. This was from my USCGA course many years ago.

·
Registered
5,270 Posts
FL has a rule >180 days, you must be registered there if its kept in the water. If you keep it on a trailer, reg werever you want.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts