BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just dropped of my 1980 17' Montauk to Cardinal Joe's this weekend to get it looking like new by flounder season. The guys over there were great. They will be using the farrow system to remove all existing paint on the deck and the outside the hull before they do some fiberglass work and put on a new coat of paint. I've seen their amazing work and cant wait to get her back. Here are some before pics......

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Farrow System the whole boat before Paint Job ....

Just dropped of my 1980 17' Montauk to Cardinal Joe's this weekend to get it looking like new by flounder season. The guys over there were great. They will be using the farrow system to remove all existing paint on the deck and the outside the hull before they do some fiberglass work and put on a new coat of paint. I've seen their amazing work and cant wait to get her back. Here are some before pics......

Cardinal Joe :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,966 Posts
That boat looks like its in pretty good condition. Sure it could use the leaves blown out, and the wood sanded and varnished, but it looks pretty good to start. I bet it will look amazing when you get it back.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Boat restore...

The pictures didn't show too much of the chipping of the paint. There are stress cracks in the paint and its flaking all over the place. Whoever painted it before didn't prep it properly. Some fiberglass work is needed too on the bow and on the deck. As far as the wood goes, I was planning on refinishing it once I got the boat back. I have been reading about a product called Cetol Natural Teak Finish. Thinking about using it but not too sure yet. Im sure Joe will be posting some pics durring the restore in the mean time

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Out of the Weather ......

The pictures didn't show too much of the chipping of the paint. There are stress cracks in the paint and its flaking all over the place. Whoever painted it before didn't prep it properly. Some fiberglass work is needed too on the bow and on the deck. As far as the wood goes, I was planning on refinishing it once I got the boat back. I have been reading about a product called Cetol Natural Teak Finish. Thinking about using it but not too sure yet. Im sure Joe will be posting some pics durring the restore in the mean time
That's the truth .... I'm always posting Pic's

WhalerPat - your BW 17 is now in the shop .... Cardinal Joe :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,079 Posts
what's the rough estimate on a basic restore? Say the trasnom needs to get redone and the floor gets redone with new awlgrip??? Just a rough idea? I know many factors play a role but just on av? say a 17-20ft boat CC outboard

·
Registered
27,060 Posts
what's the rough estimate on a basic restore? Say the trasnom needs to get redone and the floor gets redone with new awlgrip??? Just a rough idea? I know many factors play a role but just on av? say a 17-20ft boat CC outboard
for a transom on a 18 ft boat you are probably looking at 2000 minimum...

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
boat restore

Glad to hear that shes out of the weather before the storm. Can not wait to see the pics you post. Your Mako, by the way, is bad ***. It looks like a brand new boat with everything you have with her.

·
Registered
3,554 Posts
Boston Whaler 17

WhalerPat .... Hope to start on your BW 17 tomorrow ..... Removal of the Center Console , Cooler Seat and the Outboard Motor & Controls ......

It is the only way to really use the " Farrow system " on this peeling paint job ...... Prep , prep & more prep work to get this hull back in condition , to AwlGrip the whole boat ..... Except the painted bottom !

Cardinal Joe :thumbsup:

·
Registered
201 Posts
update

I know Joe will put some more pictures up but the current project I've been doing over at cardinal is a Boston Whaler 17 Montauk that the owner wanted restored. The console and bottom will not be done but the hull insides and outside will all be repaired and painted. The boat was in pretty bad shape it was painted with a nasty epoxy paint of some sort that did not want to come off. Boat was farrowed and now I've been sanding away and fixing holes and poor patch jobs that were hidden under old paint. It was kind of like opening up a can of worms but we will do our best to make her pretty again. There was alot of pitting of the old gelcoat and stress cracks everywhere. The boat is being repaired with epoxy resin and a fairing powder mixed in to make it look good for paint. I found a big patch job on the side that somebody had repaired before which I am fixing and fairing. The hull had alot of scrapes and nicks that will be taken care of before paint. The customer chose awlgrip ice blue hull and shark white interior. The boat will be shot with Awlgrip Highbuild before topcoat. I will be using a Devilbiss GTI gun to spray which has been working real well.

previous collision that was repaired but needed some attention.

·
Registered
201 Posts
The front deck was also filled in with some sort of filler and painted over. That was the first give away that the boat had been repaired once before. It's tough doing boats that have been restored before because you don't know what your working with as far as what the previous person used for repairs. I was a little skeptical at first but after lots of sanding and fairing it should come out alright. The paint will bring all the imperfections out so the key is to take care of everything now then High Build it see what still shows fair any spots then topcoat it. It will

·
Registered
201 Posts
Update

The paint is all in and ready to go as soon as I feel shes ready. The more time I spend the better she'll look. It's tough on these old whalers when to say its ready. Gota love those new cans of awlgrip. It's amazing how much they get for that stuff but it sure does look good when its all done.

·
Registered
3,028 Posts
pretty much looks exactly like restoring an old car, body wise. Do you spray that awl grip? I would love to do something like that , but have no room. God knows i have all the tools. I have tons of spray guns and sanders

·
Registered
201 Posts
Yes awlgrip will be sprayed I will be using a Devilbiss GTI hvlp gun with a 1.4 tip. They come out great and surely do bring an old whaler back to life. If you have sanders your all set because its lots of sanding and fairing like a car. You know how many hours people get wrapped up in their old cars its a labor of love. The hardest part is when you think your done and you prime it and find all the pin holes and areas you missed. Alot of people see these restorations on the internet but pictures just don't do them justice.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Wow... what are the man hours into that thing before you even start painting??
Hey Joe too many hours haha my dad always told me to be an elctrician you stay somewhat clean and they got the best job in the industry besides surveyors. I'm stubborn and stick to restoring these old boats. You'd be proud I wired up the seacraft with heat shrink connections and got the wiring all clean and secured and I'm no electrician mainly a fiberglass guy that can do it all. I thought about just electrical taping the connections just kidding I bet you've seen some scary stuff on peoples boats.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.