BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fellas got a question, I keep my boat slipped every season, Just pulled it and got a brownish scum line right above bottom paint on the side and back of boat. its stained pretty good and its gets worse every year what do you think i should use to clean this with out damaging the finish

thanx
appreciate any suggestions

·
Registered
157 Posts
There's a product called On/Off made by Marykate that is made for that problem. It is an acid so be careful using it. It will not damage a fiberglass boat's finish however, it will damage a trailer. You can also strong toilet bowl cleaner that's basically the same stuff.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
"The Works" toilet bowl cleaner will take it off. It is the only brand that will do it so if you get another one it will not work. Dollar Stores or Walmart usualy have it.

Get a sponge nice and wet with the cleaner and rub it on the scum line leaving a decent amount on the boat. Wait about 10 minutes then rinse with clean water...and then rinse again.

I would not use it in your boat as I would not want that stuff in my bilge it is a very caustic acid.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Anything with muriotic acid will remove the yellow stain. You can get a gallon at HD in the paint isle for $6...it will last you forever.

Depending on where you slip, you may have to raise your paint line half way up your freeboard. We have a bad SE exposure at our house...best defense is multiple coats of wax on the waterline and regular brushing. You'll still have a stain at the end of the season, but not as bad.

·
Registered
1,144 Posts
I am raising my waterline this year. A easier way out is to put a 1-2 inch piece of black tape in this area. However raising the waterling is the best I think.

For some reason the water in Mansaquan/Barnaget Bay puts a nice yellow color on everyones hulls. I dont know whats in the water but would love to know what is causing that.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I am raising my waterline this year. A easier way out is to put a 1-2 inch piece of black tape in this area. However raising the waterling is the best I think.

For some reason the water in Mansaquan/Barnaget Bay puts a nice yellow color on everyones hulls. I dont know whats in the water but would love to know what is causing that.
You probably really don't want to know lol

·
Registered
11,720 Posts
I have been using muriatic acid for years. Soak a rag with the stuff. Wipe down the sides and hose off. Very simple, but wear gloves and use adequate ventilation. Never had any problems and the sides of my boat are like the day I bought it. Raising the waterline will help too.

·
Registered
993 Posts
A white scotchbrite and a little elbow grease works great if you see the boat once or twice a week.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Muriatic acid in a spray bottle works pretty good. Spray it on, let soak a few minutes and hose off. Maybe a little rubbing if it's real bad. Use rubber gloves, rinse well, and be carefull. Nasty stuff.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
If you're planning to spray or otherwise apply muriatic acid to your hull, mix a solution of baking SODA in a bucket of water to have handy when the wind blows the acid onto your skin and into your eyes:eek:.

Use the mix to neutralize the acid on the hull and wherever else it drips as soon as you are done with it.

·
Registered
993 Posts
The scotchbrite pad is an abrasive like sandpaper. That might not be the best thing to use.
The white is mild, I have never seen a problem on gelcoat, especially when wet.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Lol, suit yourself bud

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.