BASS BARN banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fish mostly in the OC/Strathmere back bay areas and mostly for fluke. I have a 14' Grumman with a 25 hp kicker. Thinking about a bigger boat so I can go outside when the fishing gets slow in the back bay. Want a boat I can launch myself and also go a few miles out when the weather is fine. Also want it small enough to fish the back bays. I'm thinking about a 17' Proline cc with a 70 hp outboard. Does this setup have enough muscle to go in and out the inlets? Thanks for any comments and the pros and cons of this and any other boat - Thanks -

·
Registered
68 Posts
I fished a '93 17' Proline CC, with an 85 hp Yahmaha out of SIC for three seasons. Great boat...wish I had it back now! Launched it myself plenty of times. I fished anywhere from the usual spots in the back out to Avalon Shoal. Never had a problem running TI, and the deep V handled a good 3' chop with ease. As with any trip on the ocean, you have to watch the weather and pick your days.

·
Registered
4,828 Posts
I wouldn't go under a 21' with a deep V...if you are planning on doing the GE inlet...not only will you have to pick your days but your tides too..I wouldn't think a 17' is sufficient and you'd be limited....just my .02 cents

·
Registered
303 Posts
Have to agree with Bob ECT-- I have a 17' whaler and although there are times when I wish I had something larger the whaler does everything I ask of it. I usually fish the Delaware back bays with it where I'm able to get to areas the larger boats can't go (boats draft is only 9") But I regularly run Indian River Inlet with it to fish for stripers at the end of the jetties and just outside the inlet as well as making the occasional run to the Old Grounds when the weather is ideal. I will admit it is a rough, wet ride in a chop but at a time when gas prices are at an all time high I can fill my 27 gal. gas tank and fish all weekend.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Mobyduck:

I have a 1995 Boston Whaler Rage 15 that I am currently selling for $6,000. It is a 15' center console Whaler, and it is powered by a 115 Hp OMC turbojet inboard jet motor.

The boat is currently being brokered by Aquarius Yacht Sales in Brick, NJ, and photos of it are available on their web site. (They are asking $8,900 for it, but I have the option to sell it on my own. I only want $6k. I personally think the broker is asking too much, but they feel it is worth the extra money because the condition is a 10 out of 10.)

This boat is in mint condition, and it is absolutely perfect for what you are looking to get. It can go in less than a foot of water, and although it is only 15' long, it feels like a much larger boat. I have had it in 3 footers with no problem, and I have never felt unconfortable going out into the ocean when winds are less than 20 knots. With 115 horses pushing it, she flat out flies which is nice when you need to power through inlet currents, or if you need to beat a storm back to port!

It has tons of storage, and it comes with a whole bunch of additional fishing niceties such as 6 stainless rod holders, full windshield and stainless grab rail, stainless bow rail, Eagle depthfinder/fishfinder, anchor/rode package, compass, blower, bimini top, swim platform, etc.

Best of all, it is a Whaler, so it is an unsinkable legend.

The boat sits on a 1995 Load rite single axle bunk trailer and it is a turnkey package ... just jump in it and fly. Perhaps the easiest one-man launchable boat ever made, since you can run it right on and off the trailer.

If you are interested, shoot me an e-mail and I will give you additional details.

Truthfully, I do not want to sell it, but I have a 21' Pro-Line and 4 other boats, so it hasn't been used more than twice in the past 2 years. I would rather like to see her go to someone whom is going to keep her out after the fish rather than someone whom is going to use it to tow skiers, tubers or to just play in the bay.

- Gr8ful

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I bought an 1850 center console, semi-vee this year. I had the same thing in mind, fish front and back. Going out front is OK, but no more than 1-2, for me. It's a solid boat. Plenty of room and seating, but you still have to stand and hold on when running hard. More than two people, somebody is going to get banged around, maybe get hurt. If you want a Whaler, look at the Outrage. A little beefier, more expensive than Montauk.

·
Registered
779 Posts
I have a 2003 17' Trophy CC with a 90 hp. I run out of Cape May. I have no problem going out to the reef, about 10 miles off shore, or fishing the rips, A lot of people like the Whaler but I feel the sides are way to low to go anywhere but stay in the bay. I don't think that would be any better than what you have now. I am looking for a larger boat only because three people in my 17' is tight. If you fish with friends a larger boat may be what you need. Find a boat with high sides and choose your days wisely by waatching the weather. 2 to 3 footers are not a problem!

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
We have a 18ft Chawk that would be perfect for you. This rig packaged with a 90 hp Johnson is 16,500.00 or 17,500.00 rigged with a 90 Evinrude ETEC. This is boat motor and trailer.

·
Registered
119 Posts
I have 17' proline with 90 HP. I fish mostly the deleware bay. Proline makes a great safe boat.The problem is getting wet on rough days, not bad when its 90 degrees but miserable when it 40 degrees.

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
I HAVE A 20 FT KEY WEST WA AND RUN IT 15-20 MILES OUTFRONT IN NICER WEATHER AND HAVE NO PROBLEM.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
I had a 17' Sea Pro w/a 90 Johnson. One of the best boats I ever owned. I like it WAY Better than the Whaler Montauk I owned before it. The Whaler gave you a pounding when going through any type of chop and was extremely wet vs. the deep vee of the Sea Pro. Not knocking the Whaler guys, I just hate that tri hull except for when you are standing still, then it is a great fishing platform and more stable than any boat out there.
But here's even a better one. Find yourself a nice clean Satrcraft Mariner 210 CC. They stopped making the 21' aluminum center console around "88 so you have to look around for one.They have unbeleiveable high/safe gunnels, a nice big splashwell that keeps the outboard safely away fom the cockpit and allows no following seas to enter the boat. Only takes a 90 hp to move it out at over 35mph. Deep Vee hull. 21 feet of fishing room and light and easy enough to launch yourself.
I was turned onto these boats by my buddy "on the hook" who took me out many times in the Deleware Bay fall striper fishing. seas 1-2' are no problem. I liked his boat so much I bought the same one. They were popular some years back as I still see plenty of them in service on the Del. Bay. I just up graded to a newer year but the same boat. I guess you can say I'm sold on them. Most versatile boat around! Good luck.

[ 08-20-2005, 03:19 AM: Message edited by: finaddict5 ]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.