BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was awoken at 0230 Hrs Sunday morning by a frantic call from my son Larry stating that he and his brother Dan ( Insomniac )took a break from fishing and tied up the Flats Skiff at a dock so they could go grab a cup of coffee up at the corner. When they returned the boat was gone, after checking all the streets in the area they called me and the Avalon Police, after I arrived we checked along the creek near the last bridge coming in , they noticed the identifiable type of anchor light attached to the Poling Platform about 500 yds away in the marsh , Dan who knows those waters well and knowing it was a blow out tide , knew that the area was probably nothing more than a Mud Flat , we were able to check another street end and even though it was dark I could make out with my binoculars the outline of the boat and the thief standing up on it, we stayed put until it started to get light keeping an eye on the thief , he must have gotten cold or was being bitten by mosquitos so he put on Dan`s bright orange Coast Guard style flotation jacket, we kept transferring this information back to the Avalon Police who in turn had called for the NJSP Marine Unit , as it got light we could clearly see the thief and the boat that was sitting about 20 feet away from the shallow water edge completely high and dry, as the NJSP Marine unit was arriving we relayed by Nextel phone the location of the thief who was hiding in the grass 150 feet away from the boat to my son Larry who was with the Avalon Police, who then relayed the info to the Troopers.
We watched the apprehension of the thief as he slid along in the grass. The thief was a 22 yr old out of New York , the boat was yanked off the bank and towed to Avalon Ramp where it was loaded on the trailer and taken back to the North Wildwood NJSP Marine Station to be processed for evidence, the Police suspected that more individuals were involved and they called in a State Police Helicopter for an aerial search of the marsh, the Cape May County Sherrifs Office transported their search dogs by boat out on the marsh and assisted in the search which proved negative.
The boat is recovered but was trashed with some equipment destroyed , the motor is the big question, the exhaust is loaded with mud and we are not sure how long he let the motor run after he went airborne.
I would like to take this oppurtunity to thank the Avalon Police Dept. the New Jersey State Police and their Marine Unit and all the other agencies that were involved in the search and capture of the thief.
We were very lucky to get the boat back.
If anyone knows of a Mercury Mechanic in the Cape May Area please let us know , we are not even going to attempt to fire it up until it is checked out.
Insomniac
will be out of commision for a short time while repairs are made to the boat.
THANK YOU again to all the agencies that were involved

[ 05-29-2006, 09:36 PM: Message edited by: Fish Bandit ]

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Guys,
your right it is rare ,but once we realized that we had spotted the boat we were persistent running from street to street like mad men , even went home and grabbed the kayak , but were advised against it once we were sure someone was still with the boat, my sons even thought at first that the dock lines were improperly secured and the Skiff floated away. The situation had a good ending

[ 05-29-2006, 09:38 PM: Message edited by: Fish Bandit ]

·
Registered
467 Posts
That is some story, I'm glad you got your boat back and hope that your motor is ok. Kind of amazing the type of person that goes down to the shore for the weekend and tries to steal a boat. Especailly when you don't know the water. Makes you wonder if his partners had a trailer somewhere waiting for the call, and if they didn't, just what were they going to do with it? Hope the guys butt ends up in the pokey for a while.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Sorry to hear your evperience, but your determination paid off. Things happen so fast today........

File a wrongful death suit against him for your engine? Make the sumbiaich sorry he ever thought about it. Multiple court appearances a long way from NY.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Guys ,
Thanks for your replies ,and the offer to fish with you. While we were watching the boat the thief turned off the anchor light and I thought that he might have gotten underway I got nervous and I went to the Large bridge that comes into Avalon, to search for the boat coming into the ICW , I watched with my binoculars as a boat would go approximately a 1/4 mile then turn around and go back and forth this went on for about 20 minutes and then that boat turned off their lights , this was long
before the Marine Police showed up , it is a possibility that there was another boat waiting to meet up with the thief , who knows , while I was at the big bridge my sons called me and told me that they were sure that the the Flats Skiff was still on the Marsh because the thief was using the emergency air horn that he pulled out of Dan`s safety kit. !! That was a Weird Act. !!
Capemaychef, thanks for the info about Tonys.
Guys,
I am really only touching on parts of this whole ordeal, If I could fit in everything that took place in a 4 hour time period you would SH*T yourself ,including the fact that we got within 100 feet of him as he tried to escape by getting ready to swim the channel near the scene of the crime , as he began to enter the water we hid next to a house but he saw the police officer so he turned around entered a small patch of trees and headed back out to the grounded Skiff, where we watched him shed the orange jacket and put on Larry`s Gore Tex Military camoflague jacket that was stowed in one of the boats compartments , he then got off the boat and proceeded to crawl off into the grass and hide as he slithered away. I`m sure more of the story will come out as we go along, there are some negative issues that I will leave out to protect the innocent.

[ 05-30-2006, 01:15 AM: Message edited by: Fish Bandit ]

·
Registered
604 Posts
FishBandit,

That was some ordeal. Had me sitting on the edge of me seat. Many of the Barners would have liked to be in the observers for sure. Probably not the best idea for the guys safety sorta like the old "thumbs up, thumbs down" thing they did in Rome. Much better to let the law handle it. Hope the bugs bit him good and that there is no itch meds in jail. Glad all are safe. Please post a follow up as the case progreses.

·
Registered
297 Posts
This explains allot. Two of my friends who live on the water in Avalon told me about seeing a helicopter, a high and dry skiff, etc. in the marsh. I was chalking it all up to a late night drinking and morning hallucinations. I guess they were telling me the truth. I thought Avalon was such a quiet town.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
Thats incredible. I guess the boys were headed to the Wawa on 30st for a late night coffee when some drunk decided to take the boat. That water back there is only 4ft or less at high tide in a lot of places. Your lucky it was low tide and a new moon or he might have gotten away.

I fish that area late at night and I am seeing more and more dirt bags drinking around those spots than ever before. Was around one of the bridges a few weeks back and there had to be 10 punk 20yr olds passing hard alcohol and beers around at 2am.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts