BASS BARN banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need all the help I can get with this problem because I do not know where to start. Automotive wiring is not in my field of life experiences (until now).

I picked up my new boat this past weekend and simultaneously had my first towing experience with my truck. I hooked the boat trailer lights to my truck using the 7-pin plug. All the lights (brakes and turn signals) on the boat trailer worked fine. However, when I turned on the truck's lights to drive at night the boat trailer's rear lights would not work. They would not turn on, the turn signals did not work, nor did the brake lights work, but the side running lights on the trailer worked. And all of the truck's lights and signals worked fine.

Does anyone with any wiring experience know if this could be a problem with the truck's tow package wiring or would it be related to the trailer's wiring? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Sounds like a hot wire to running lights is wrongly connected to the ground...thus negating a 12V differential when you turn on the lights...

But difficult without seeing connection......

·
Registered
4,989 Posts
i second the ground idea alot of people cut the white wire at the ball mount instead of hooking it up the right way.I just ran LEDs and EVERY light needed to be grounded as well as the one on the tounge. Good Luck

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So should I trace all the wiring, starting at the tongue, to the lights? Or is there a way to test/check if there is a bad ground?

·
Registered
39,870 Posts

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Trailer wiring

Morning Wood said:
I need all the help I can get with this problem because I do not know where to start. Automotive wiring is not in my field of life experiences (until now).

I picked up my new boat this past weekend and simultaneously had my first towing experience with my truck. I hooked the boat trailer lights to my truck using the 7-pin plug. All the lights (brakes and turn signals) on the boat trailer worked fine. However, when I turned on the truck's lights to drive at night the boat trailer's rear lights would not work. They would not turn on, the turn signals did not work, nor did the brake lights work, but the side running lights on the trailer worked. And all of the truck's lights and signals worked fine.

Does anyone with any wiring experience know if this could be a problem with the truck's tow package wiring or would it be related to the trailer's wiring? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Most all new pick ups have a auxillary fuse panel under the hood on the drivers side around the fender well.
That panel has all the fuses for the trailer lighting.
This was done in an effort to keep the vehicle lighting operational if the trailer lights were shorted or not functional.
Check them, they are marked on the inside of the lid.

·
Registered
2,887 Posts
My Chevy truck is a 7 pin round and my trailer is a 4 pin flat. I bought a converter at the dealer that takes the 7 round to a 4 flat. Solved all my light problems.

·
Registered
1,424 Posts
Adapters

2dogs said:
My Chevy truck is a 7 pin round and my trailer is a 4 pin flat. I bought a converter at the dealer that takes the 7 round to a 4 flat. Solved all my light problems.
We sell all the adapters,7 to 4 7 to 5 7 round to 6 round
7 to 5 is used for trailers with disc brakes for a lock out valve
7 to 5 will work for 4 flat also.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks to everyone for all the advice. Turns ouit that both tailights were bad. Too many baths at the ramp I suppose. Anyway, once they were replaced ($35) everything worked fine. I'm just glad that the problem didn't reside in my truck.

Thanks again guys. This is a great forum.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Congrats on the new boat. Glad the issue is resolved. That was what I was going to check first. Most times in my experience, I find the trailer wiring and/or lights to be 99% at fault. Capt.Matt

1 - 12 of 12 Posts