BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The ignition is not getting any power. When I turn the key, no gauges come to life and no beep. When I turn the key to turn the motor over - nothing. The power trim for the throttle handle works, though. I checked anything I know how to check but am coming up scratching my head. I already cancelled today's trip and need to get out on the water bad. What else should I be checking? It's a 2002 Johnson outboard. Thanks.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Main fuse on the engine...several posts lately have been discussing it...check one in tackle box I think with Bucktail Willie...or just search for him and check recent posts...

Some boats have an ignition cb or fuse near the main harness and ignition switch...gotta check around there to..

last is the neutral switch on the engine...see if you cn overide and get a short crank to see if power is at the engine...

other than those ....maybe Jawz or BB's are feeling helpful today....

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
Check for voltage on your purple wires at the ignition switch common/batt terminal to ground, you should have voltage. No voltage check fuse. Voltage==>Turn the key to the run position and check the other purple wires to ground. You should see voltage. No voltage bad ignition switch.

·
Registered
32,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks. We checked the fuses we could get to. One about a foot from the battery (20) and one under the motor cowl. Both good. Would this be something a marine mechanic could diagnose and fix quickly if they could get to it? (assuming they are not backed up until after stiper season). I missed going out today and would go tomorrow if I could get the boat running.

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Hate to ask the obvious (usually where I screw up the most) but did you check the lanyard? I hate to suggest it, but sometimes they can come loose and not come off... if there was a bad kill switch or problem there, your tilt would work fine and the engine would be dead as a doornail... and it would not necessarily be part of the pre-flight check.....

·
Registered
2,472 Posts
BarnacleBill is a Barner who has a shop and works on Johnsons. He helped me diagnose a problem over the phone the other day. Maybe give him a shout.

·
Registered
2,438 Posts
the ignition switches accessory terminal is what activates your gauges. If there is no gauge response... fuel, batt, and so on, it's either the feed to the switch or switch itself, or a lost ground.

·
Registered
5,609 Posts
Like stated above you must have 12 volts at the red wire on the switch. Once the key is on the the purple wire should show 12 volts. Since you gauges are not working the purple wire has to be dead. Since you trim is working then your fuses are ok on the engine. If you can nt figure it out and you can get the boat to us at 8:00 Thurs. we can take a fast look at it for you.

·
Registered
32,436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Barnaclebill. I took another look at it at lunch and still kaput. We hooked her up and my dad's taking her to the local yard. I have to work tomorrow so I can't swing it. If I could make it, I'd be there any time you asked. I know it's something simple but I just can't diagnose it myself. I had the electrician down the road looking at it but we ran out of daylight. He said "well, we tested all the easy stuff". A marine mechanic might have some more experience and diagnose it. Who knows. Thanks for all your help guys.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts