BASS BARN banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My brother and his wife took the Florida Boaters Safety Course this winter.The course has the same questions as New Jerseys but they were able to take it online for $15.Are they good to go when they use their New Jersey boat or do they need a NJ certificate?:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,020 Posts
If they are NJ residents they need the NJ safety certificate in accordance with the age dates.

Else:

Out-of-State residents in New Jersey for less than 90 days with a certificate issued by their state or country; OR
written proof of completion of a substantially similar course to the NJ-approved course will satisfy the education requirements.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,436 Posts
I don't believe on line tests are excepted in New Jersey.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,570 Posts
maine_sport said:
If they are NJ residents they need the NJ safety certificate in accordance with the age dates.

Else:

Out-of-State residents in New Jersey for less than 90 days with a certificate issued by their state or country; OR
written proof of completion of a substantially similar course to the NJ-approved course will satisfy the education requirements.
Agreed...heck.... straight from the manual....:D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Capt. Scott said:
Agreed...heck.... straight from the manual....:D
I guess he is good than as the florida test is the same only online and cheaper.He has become a florida resident but his time spent in NJ maybe greater than 90 days,but how would anyone know how long you were here.;) I think the online test is even more of a joke than New Jerseys.Sounds like this is about clear as mud.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,570 Posts
Great White said:
I guess he is good than as the florida test is the same only online and cheaper.He has become a florida resident but his time spent in NJ maybe greater than 90 days,but how would anyone know how long you were here.;) I think the online test is even more of a joke than New Jerseys.Sounds like this is about clear as mud.
Well that's the rule...whether or not he gets caught is another thing.....:eek: :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,022 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
maine_sport said:
If they are NJ residents they need the NJ safety certificate in accordance with the age dates.

Else:

Out-of-State residents in New Jersey for less than 90 days with a certificate issued by their state or country; OR
written proof of completion of a substantially similar course to the NJ-approved course will satisfy the education requirements.
Capt Scott,wouldn't a Florida certificate be wrtten proof of completion of a substantially similar course to the NJ-approved course? I am not a lawyer by any stretch but shouldn't anyone with a similar course be good to go? The 90 day thing would be tuff to inforce,90 days in a row,per year, per life time???? Evertime you drive over into Penn or Del the 90 days starts over???;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,570 Posts
Great White said:
Capt Scott,wouldn't a Florida certificate be wrtten proof of completion of a substantially similar course to the NJ-approved course? I am not a lawyer by any stretch but shouldn't anyone with a similar course be good to go? The 90 day thing would be tuff to inforce,90 days in a row,per year, per life time???? Evertime you drive over into Penn or Del the 90 days starts over???;)
It is if you ARE NOT a NJ resident...however...for NJ residents the course has to be a "proctored" course/test meaning a live teacher...no internet. I think the word is out on internet couses...but like some PA residents have posted their cards all look the same and there is like 3 different was to get it...one is an internet course I believe...

So who knows...but the Florida internet thing will not get you a card and NJ residents have to have a card...less than 90 days and any card will probably work.

I think the question is...do you have a shore house??? If so you are a resident in their eyes....if you are just on vacation...no...
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top