BASS BARN banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For all those who have lots of boating experience and would simply like to take the exam I am here to help! I am qualified by the State Police to give the exam to experienced boaters, no class required. No running up to the barracks. The cost is $25 (set by the state). You must score a 70% or better. For info. you can e-mail me at: [email protected] or call 609-425-9401.
Thanks.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Trust me... it's worth every penny. I've been boating for 25 years and know pretty much what I'm doing, I took an online test to guage how well I would do and passed no problem. I went to the class yesterday with my wife just so she wouldn't have to take the class alone. I better get husband of the year award... it was the most boring 8 hours of my life. Believe me, test out if you're capable.

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Aftermath...if it was that boring...then the instructor should be shot..

While I may not be the best...I'll bet good money that every one of the students I've had for years walked away with something new and a few good laughs at some of the stories I tell...

That's why I keep trying to tell people to ask around and not just sign up for the closest, most convenient class around...

If you are going to sit for 8 hours...it may be worth the extra $25 bucks to at least het something out of the class than just a "certificate"...

·
Registered
168 Posts
Don't get me wrong Capt Scott... I maintain the course is long overdue. I've been out before and seen idiots doing things that they should lose their boating licenses over... anyone who's been on Raritan bay, lake hopatcong, or any number of other locations on any given summer afternoon knows what I'm talking about. A required beginners course is a good idea... I know my wife learned a ton.

Maybe it was the instructor, but he can't take all the blame. The material can be pretty tedious for someone who knows it, especially when you're in class with a bunch of beginners.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Aftermath, sounds like you had the instructor I did many years ago. I try to make my classes fun and keep it light. The material can be tedious at times, but it needs to be covered. I can vouch for Capt. Scotts' stories, I had the opportunity to hear a few while he co-taught the capt. class I took. He had some good ones! The test out is a nice option for those with experience. If you don't have a lot of experience then I recommend the full course. Anyone signing up for my classes, I promise to try and not bore you to death!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts