BASS BARN banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 14' bay boat and am currently looking at a 17' Triumph boat. I know there are different regulations if a boat is over a specific length. Looking at the New Jersey regulations, it states that any boat over 16' must have an 'Alternate Propulsion' source. (Under 16'it can be a paddle) I don't recall seeing any of the boats in this catagory with a secondary motor. Am I reading this right? Thanks for any comments on this and the Triumph brand of boat -

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Try triumphboats.com . They have been around for a few years and have a 'Ropelene' hull instead of fiberglass. Its a form of polyproplene that is said to be almost indestructable. I have heard a comments both ways on them -

·
Registered
789 Posts
Moby,

Not sure about the "alternative propulsion", but I had two Triumph Boats (the company was called Logic when I bought mine but they are the same boats). IMHO the Triumph's make very good basic fishing boats. They are light weight, making them easy to trailer and push off the occasional sand bar if you like to go shallow. The hulls have very shallow draft, allowing you to get into places where other boats would have trouble. They don't have the shine of a fiberglass boat, but the plastic hull can take some bumps without being damaged. Normal screws tend to strip out the plastic pretty easily though. so you should through bolt with a washer whenever you can.

·
Registered
5,585 Posts
I'm with Capt. Scott, what's the reference? Never heard that one.

My understanding is that "alternate propulsion" is a paddle. Where does it say that a paddle is not acceptable?

·
Registered
4,294 Posts
go for the paddle !

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have a Triumph 190 Bay and could'nt be happier with the way it performs. No waxing, no fading, no scatches and it's extremly durable. Ropelene is lighter than fiberglass and is buoyant which makes for better fuel ecomony on the water and towing. Check out www.triumphowners.org and you can ask the people with 17' what they think of their boat. I do'nt have a single compliant about mine.

·
Registered
690 Posts
I always carry an oar on board. I have had posts recently about there being no channel markers in alot of places right now. I can't imagine running aground in an outgoing tide and not having a way to push off without going overboard and pushing. Think about how that would feel this time of year. Whether it is required or not, I would keep one with you. very inexpensive insurance against being stuck with changable spring weather, waiting for sea tow.

·
Registered
615 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I typed 'New Jersey Boating Regualtions' into Google because I heard the required equipment was different for boats over 16 feet. I found a list of requirements for boating in NJ. It stated that a boat under 16' can use an oar or paddle for alternate propulsion but a boat over 16 feet needs mechanical propulsion. But now I'll be darned if I can find that site again. Must not be important or it would be easier to find -

·
Registered
10,132 Posts
I think they reccommend, not require it. Everyone should have a paddle or boat hook. It can keep you away from rocks or bridges, other hazards.

·
Registered
330 Posts
Moby,
You'll love the boat. I have one and it's really easy to handle. I have a 90 Yamaha on the back which is a little too much for me but it's fine.

I have used it in deep creeks and back bays but haven't taking it out front yet. Want to see how she handles in 2-3 chop. Any more than that is a little much for me. Great back bay boat. No muss no fuss.
Frank

1 - 13 of 13 Posts