BASS BARN banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just picked up some of those bomber mullets. A sinking one and a floating one. Anyone ever use them? This was the first time I have seen them. If I knew how I would post pics.

RyanF

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by RyanF:
Just picked up some of those bomber mullets. A sinking one and a floating one. Anyone ever use them? This was the first time I have seen them.

RyanF
RyanF,
I have this same exact one,

Bomber/Sinker/RedHead Mullet
And On A Few Occasions Over the Years have
Caught Stripers one after the other during
the Mullet Run Around the Inlets and Surf
During the Fall..

[ 08-16-2004, 01:09 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
If I knew how I would post pics.

RyanF
How To Post Pictures

First you must upload your digital image to a web server. You can not link to pictures on your computers hard drive. www.imagestation.com offeres a free service where they allow you to upload your digital images to their web server. I suggest you use their free service. Here's what you will need to do: 1) Upload your image to a web server (ImageStation.com, etc) 2) After your pic is uploaded it will appear as a thumbnail or a smaller image of the original. Click on the smaller image so it appears in it's original size. From there right click on the image and select "properties". Highlight the address (URL)listed on the "Address" line (http://yourimage.jpg). After your have the address line highlighted, right click your mouse on the highlighted test and select "copy". 3) Now that you've copied the address (URL) of your digital image it's time to go back to the BARN and insert it into your post. 4) When you post a new topic or reply you will see a button that reads "IMAGE". Click on the "IMAGE" button. You will notice it entered [ img ][ /img ] into your text block. Simply right click between the two "IMG" tags and select "Paste" from the list. You should now see this [ img ]http://www.justanexample.com/yourimage.jpg [ /img ] That's all there is to

[ 08-16-2004, 01:12 PM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Blues seem to love em. I nip 2 barbs off each of the trebels (or replace with single hooks) for much easier removal. For bass, elimate the tail treble altogeather & replace with hair (no hook), tie mono/floro direct to lure, your good to go IMHO. Doing such shall cut down on some blues as they tend to bite tails as well as go easy on a short bass to be relieced. Got no "just hair"? Nip off the buss. end of a teaser or roll your own, not much to it. Luck

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks guys.

Nights, I got the redhead as well. You took care of the pic for me, but hopefully this fall I'll have some nice pics to post.

Clamchucker, was always curious about that. Blues hit the end of a plug and stripers whack it straight on? Havent been plug fishing long enough, or successful enough for that matter, to figure that out. For a small swimmer like a bomber with three sets of trebles, should I still take off that last set, the middle, or none?

Thanks for the replies and I guess I'll add another question. Do you guys feel that the larger bombers are more successful jointed or one piece? I think the action of the tail on the jointed ones but Im not sure that it imitates bait very well.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts

Thanks for the replies and I guess I'll add another question. Do you guys feel that the larger bombers are more successful jointed or one piece? I think the action of the tail on the jointed ones but Im not sure that it imitates bait very well.
Yeah,I never had much luck with the jointed
Bombers.They look great moving thru the water
and alot of fishermen swear by them..
But I stick with the LongA,and ASalt Bombers...

·
Registered
1,665 Posts
On the Bombers, take off the middle set of trebles. Blues come up from behind a lure and just start biting their way to the front. Stripers, a lot of times, will hit a lure with the side of their head trying to turn it to swallow head first. Caught a lot of Stripers in the river on topwater plugs that were hooked all along their gill plates. Had a trout on one time in White Clay Creek. A Striper came out of hiding and kept trying to turn it to swallow it head first as I was reelling it in. It was an 18" trout!

·
Registered
6,900 Posts
Ryan, blue have to ability to hit the back end b/c they have razor sharp teeth. fish like stripers and weakfish have to swallow there prey head first b/c they do not have sharp teeth so that is why most time you will hook those fish on that front treble. i remove the rear hooks b/c in my opinion they hurt the angler. i dont mean physically but the rear hook will at times pull the front hook when a fish turns(or vice versa). i've seen it happpen when a fish shakes it's head(especially with weakies).

Nick

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
I've always been afraid to remove trebles out of fear that it will affect the plugs swimming motion. Has anyone noticed any difference when removing a treble?

As far as the bombers go, I have never caught a bass on a jointed plug, always the Long-A or A-Salt.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Here's a question on switching trebles-- I have plugs I've sharpened and want to switch the rear to a single. Some plugs seem to have recessed trebles and some don't. Can I just unscrew the treble and redo the single without weakening the fastener ? I can deal wellenough with the split ring type. Thanks in advance.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
After'em,
Good Question, Thanks,,,

I always try to keey the hardward on any
plug/lure etc. intact....
Thus when changing the hooks I go the
Split Ring route and sometimes I use the
crimp down trebles after cutting the old
one's off....

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just picked up a selection of A-Salts. When can I start throwing them? Cant wait. Very nice that they only have two sets of trebles. Got a black over purple, school bus, and chicken scratch. Figured I got the basics to see if I can catch with them. My plug collection keeps growing even though I havent gotten the whole catching fish on them down yet. Ill keep tryin though.

RyanF

·
Registered
1,435 Posts
You won't be disapointed with the A-Salts. Black over purple is the #1 plug in my bag for the fall.

One thing I always do with my bombers is change the trebles to either VMC or Gamagatsu 4X. The trebles on the bombers aren't that great.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Here are a couple of my favorite Bombers...
And A Aussie Black/RedHead Viper...

Black/Purple ASalt Bomber
Black Bomber Heavy Duty Long A
Black/RedHead Aussie Viper
Black Bomber Magnum Long A

·
Registered
3,153 Posts
Thanks guys.

Clamchucker, was always curious about that. Blues hit the end of a plug and stripers whack it straight on? Havent been plug fishing long enough, or successful enough for that matter, to figure that out. For a small swimmer like a bomber with three sets of trebles, should I still take off that last set, the middle, or none?

Ryan, just came accrost your question. Not always at puter let alone remember where I posted
Looks like most has been answered already by great individuals with super advice. Have fished hooks with 10 inch lengths of flounder belly & cought 6" flounder, sea robbins, 9" weaks etc. The only fish in this area that does not seem to strike at the "head" of a bait/lure is the bluefish. Hence the elimination of the tail/trail hooks when not targeting blues specifically. The "hair" substitute is a must though IMHO ;) . Even the slickest of metals loose some power (at times, all power) after the hair is chewed off the hook/s. As per the "middle" treble.....optional. May want to try pulling it when bassing is hot & come up with your own answers as to the need. Luck to ya.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts