BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was browsing the NJ Div of Fish & Wildlife saltwater site to read up on the bonus tag program. It basically says, if you sent in the 2004 logs, which I did, you're in automatically otherwise, you have to send in the lottery application.

I figured why not verify that they received my logs and that I'm on the list so I sent an email asking who to call. The response said to try Nacote Creek but also that, as stated on the site, they are not accepting questions about the "applications". If you get tags you either were selected in the lottery or they received your logs.

Fair enough, I responded saying I wasn't inquiring about an "application". I just wanted to verify that my logs were received and that I'm on the 2004 list. I know it would be hard to beleive there could be a mix up in the mail or where they record the logs but if for some reason I wasn't on the list I wanted to to send in an application to at least have a chance at the lottery.

Here's the best part. The application says that if you send in duplicate applications you will automatically be disqualified from the program. This includes, according to Nacote Creek, sending in an application if you're already on the 2004 list. They also said they have no way of verifying the list. Which means they can't tell you if you're on a list that they say will get tags automatically from already being on the list. Hmm

So a) there is no way of finding out if you are on the 2004 list and b) if you send in a lottery application to be safe, and you're already on the list, you're disqualified and c) if you do send in an application, there is no way to verify receipt unless you send it registered mail I guess.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I knew that was coming. I didn't use any last year but I sent in 3 pages of logs. It might be nice to have one, if a trophy situation occurs.

If you read any of my other posts on this issue I'm on your side. I just thought they should be able to say whether you're on a list that already exists so I kept trying. It really wasn't much of an effort.

·
Premium Member
13,508 Posts
RalphD -- A bunch of us are in the same boat: we've been sending in our logs for years, but now have to take the "chance" that they've actually received our applications. Initially, I, too, was concerned about this; but given that I've been participating for years, and there's never been a problem in getting my replacement cards, I'm not very concerned. Further, as mentioned above, we only get to keep 2 extra fish all fall long -- even if our logs weren't received it's not that big a deal -- unfortunately.

·
Banned
1,617 Posts
It's not about keeping two extra fish. It's the state changing it's mind every year and making the formula as confusing as they can. This is fishing not rocket science. Just make the rule of two fish per day until we have as many stripers as blues. I'm not a marine biologist but why is it that we have these strict limits but when I travel south they are different and you can by striper at a restaraunt??

·
Registered
13,997 Posts
sounds like a catch -22. I'm in the same boat. I think the new policy of the state is that various agencies do not correspond directly with the public, at least that's what I've heard others say.

·
Registered
6,720 Posts
I sent my log in so I just have to keep my fingers crossed they send me two tags.Thats all I have done in the past.

·
Registered
10,008 Posts
I re-sent my log with a 2005 application, because I wasn't sure if I had sent a self addressed stamped envelope. Looks like I may have srcewed the "works" heh?!?

·
Registered
3,107 Posts
Every thing with this great state has a catch 22 or a gray area.This with be my first time applying for the tags.

·
Registered
95 Posts
I presume your wife or kids are fishing as well.
Let them sent an application, at least the family will have a chance.

Jim

·
Registered
7,237 Posts
Never had a problem with them getting my log. I'm sure you will be okay. ;)

·
Registered
46 Posts
Yea it is amazing we can be kept guessing about a resource that is ours. Punished for misinformation or no information then penalized if we check up on our situation. Sounds like communism to me

·
Registered
107 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I was actually on the site to print out the regualtion summary sheet and figured I'd check out the official bonus program information. I'm not that worried about getting the tags, I always have, but it would be nice since I've always sent in my logs. It just snowballed from there and the more I think about it the more screwed up it gets.

The people at Nacote Creek couldn't have been nicer but it was obviuos that they are instructed not to discuss anything about the program with the public.

This stuff has to be in a data base so whats the big deal. I mean they are asking for your SS# on the application "* required for processing application". Except that it still has to be manual due to date input and because somewhere they will have 10,000+ return envelopes that they have to correlate with the 2004 list and god knows how many lottery apps. I can't imagine this getting screwed up (sarcasm). No wonder the program costs so much to administer. And what suffers? The fish and fishermen.

And what could solve all this? Check out this E Log program for freshwater created in 2004. (http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/fishsurv.htm)
The solution already exists. Create one for saltwater, assign a registration number instead of a lisence, and can you imaginge how much info they would get from the members on TBB. They would have data coming out their ears on all species at least on a per trip basis. They shouldn't be tying their only source of data collection to a bonus program.

I don't mean to obsess here but damn this is a waste of resources and I don't mean the fish.

·
Registered
5,153 Posts
Exactly when are the cards supposed to be sent out
The program doesn't open until Sept

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Originally posted by BUCKTAIL WILLIE:
Exactly when are the cards supposed to be sent out
The program doesn't open until Sept
Willie,
I am hearing sometime Mid-August...

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Ralph, they are not relying on one program for all their data.

The logs are an important part of the program, but they are not the only part, and the bonus program is not the only source of data the state gets. In addition to the MRFSS data for every state, there are also the tagging studies that are done, plus the card information for the bonus fish caught.

Keep in mind that the weight and length samples collected from the bonus program, just for the state of NJ, is on a par or greater than the amount of length/weight information collected by MRFSS for the entire eastern seaboard. That info puls the scale samples should not be ignored as again, it is the best info collect on the coast.

While I agree with you that there should be some form of info given to those who are already in the program, here was the explanation given as to why people will be sent to the website and why no more details are available:

Since the Division argued it does not have any money to run the program in the first place (remember, it is NOT part of the F&W's budget, even though they wish it was) but Com. Campbell demanded one, they are trying to make it as burdensome as possible. They do not have additional staff or staff time to deal with the prgram beyond what Brad has told them to do. In addition, they are actually shorter staffed this year than before with several retirements/departures, that will not likely be filled due to budget shortfalls.

At this point they are going to administer the program exactly as they said, and nothing more. No additional time by staff, either on the phone or elsewhere, will be devoted to it.

I know, I still say there is a way to simply let those in the program know what's up, I'm just telling you what's up.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.