BASS BARN banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm seeking inspiration during this winter of my discontent. I've still got a foot of snow on my roof and over a month until I seriously begin to consider taking cork in hand. I've tied most of my flies and now I'm looking to do a little dreaming about fly fishing. Does anyone have a book recommendation to help shake off the winter blues? I just finished an oldie, but goodie - "The Longest Silence" by Thomas McGuane. It is not the how-to type of book that I usually favor, but instead is a compilation of fishing stories that run from trout to saltwater to steelhead (a new obsession of mine). There are some hilarious situations that are realistic enough to have the ring of truth.

So how about it. Do you have any books to recommend that will help keep these last weeks of winter civil?

Thanks

John

· Registered
1,637 Posts
I prefer to stay away from the HOW TO's when I have the shack nasties. my favorite fly fishing reads are the John Gierach series of books, start with "Sex, Death and Fly Fishing" another favorite is "Dances with Trout". fun reads that will have you laughing out loud.

· Registered
1,463 Posts
I prefer to stay away from the HOW TO's when I have the shack nasties. my favorite fly fishing reads are the John Gierach series of books, start with "Sex, Death and Fly Fishing" another favorite is "Dances with Trout". fun reads that will have you laughing out loud.
Gierach's stuff is good. I have not read any in a while. I believe I have one called " standing in a stream waving a stick" or something like that.

Another thing I use winter for is practicing knots. I had a ton of boat knots down once, but forgot them without application.

· Registered
2,504 Posts
John, it's not fly fishing related, but a good read none the less. Hatteras Blues- about the origins of the sport fishing on hatteras island, and it's humble beginnings from the commercial fleet, to the challenges they face today. Non-fiction but reads like a story. if you would like to borrow it, you can.

we could always check airfare on Southwest, dad's itchin' to get away from the snow, and a certain state in the southeast keeps coming up!!! hint-hint, wink-wink!!!! ;)

· Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
books - some good reads there

Hi Gang -

Thanks all for your thoughtful ideas. Cheapskate that I am - I'm going to see if any of these suggestions are available through my excellent (and free) public library. The weatherman is forecasting more snow to fall on Thursday/Friday so I'm going to try to lay in my supply of reading material for the weekend.

The creative alternative to reading idea goes to Narragansett. Practice knots or learn some new ones. Seems like every year I lose a nice fish due to bad knot. This year it wasn't MY knot - but one that a friend had tied while using my rod. As you know - you can never slide the blame for a bad knot over to some one else. If you fish it - it becomes your knot.

I actually have three rigs that involve big fish and tricky knots that I need to master. Sounds like I ought to get cracking.

Best to all,
John

· Registered
14,022 Posts
The library may not have much in standard fishing titles.

Some might have Gierach.

another salt title:
The call of the surf. by Van Campen Heilner and Frank Stick; ill - Heilner. Van Campen. 1899-; Paperback

and there are other William Warner titles that might be stocked, and somewhat worth the read.

Another cheap alternative is to find a good borders or barnes and noble, buy some coffee and read whatever you want on a cold Friday or Saturday evening :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.