BASS BARN banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
453 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I setup my 9" boone birds with a swivel on the back side so i can swap it out with any rig I want to pull behind it. My question is I've been seeing these setup with a mono jumper going from a hunk of mono crimped to the front of the bird to the hunk of mono that the swivel is crimped to. I'm guessing in case the bird breaks. I would think the bird has a wire right through it. Anyone else do this?

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
I would not recommend that at all but yes a lot of people do do it but i am not sure ao but the wire.. had it snap on me a few years ago!

Got to use the safety on the mono! it is the only way to go! but you can also buy the new inline birds.. they are so much better and can rig them yourself..

Thats what i do as i run 400lb mono thru the center hole and crimp heavy heavy swivels on each end!! thats the best to do.. boone is almost out of style now!

·
Registered
39 Posts
Definitely rig them with a safetly line. I put a split-ring on each loop, putting the rear swivel on the ring instead of the wire loop. Then I crimp a piece of 330 lb mono to the rings running the line across the bird's back. Then I just attach the mainline swivel to the front splitring

·
Registered
31,378 Posts
Boone's are thru rigged wire. Salt can weaken the wire over time resulting in them snapping. Always rig them with a mono back up.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Hey bob you guys do not carry any of those inline birds do you? or know anyone that can produce them for me?!? would like to buy a good amount of othem.!!

·
Registered
1,610 Posts
I always rig the jumper line, I have had Blue Marlin hit a Green Machine with a Boone Bird. It would be a heartbreaker if you lost a trophy fish because of rig failure.:D

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
See the attached photo at the top...may be hard to see, but we keep the bir out of the tackel "chain of command" if you will...

Take the eyelets of the 9" boone bird and bend them up 90 degrees to the bird...

Then run 400 pound mulitstrand SS cable through the eyes (don't use mono as it will weaken as the bird skips)

Crimp swivels on each end of the cable...

Pinch the bird eyelets just enough so that the swivels cannot pass through them...

Now the cable is inline with your fishing tackel and the bird is free to swing completely around on it...

The strength of the tackel is no longer dependant on the wire run through the bird but rather through the 400 pound cable...(remember don't use aluminum crimps with stainless steel or you'll be re-reigging the next trip!)

·
Registered
1,610 Posts

·
Registered
4,040 Posts
I updated the photos in my post to more accurately show what I am doing...

If you rig it in this manner, you bypass the bird's wire and depend solely on the 400 pound wire strand while keeping the full action of the bird...

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
hey ken i want first dibs on those 9 inch inlines!!

I will take 30 of them!!

Send em over baby!! YEAH!!

·
Banned
99 Posts
Jeff - Fazmataz said:
I updated the photos in my post to more accurately show what I am doing...

If you rig it in this manner, you bypass the bird's wire and depend solely on the 400 pound wire strand while keeping the full action of the bird...
Thanks for the tip.

·
Registered
591 Posts
The wire inside any Boone bird is just too light to have it rigged without the bridle. For a much cleaner rigging set-up you should use a PlayAction bird. The 5", 7" or 13" all have a wire formed into the bird that just will not fail.

You can rig whatever you want behind them and have it connected right to the wire without any additional rigging and it will NOT fail. We have been using them for over 12 years and have not had one come back to us yet.

We have some of both in-house that have been cut in half and you can clearly see the wires. Once you see the wires you can understand why one has to be bridled and not the other.

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
Anytime anytime! we are all on here for one reason!

To fish!!

as the canyon runner say, " if we can help one person put one more fish in their box this season by sharing our informatoin with them then we have done our jobs"

ONE OF THE BEST QUOTES AND SHOWS WHY THEY ARE SO REPUTABLE!!

Not many people are like them!!

Hope that everyone helps everyone!

·
Banned
1,126 Posts
hey reel i got some reccomendations!!

I want like a zuccini
a green
a rainbow
a black and purple
a mexican flag
and anything else u want to get nutty with