BASS BARN banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Feel Free To Post Your WinterFlounder/Tog/SeaBass
Reports.As Little or As Much Info that you like..
BUT PLEASE NOT EXACT SPOTS ;)
So Catch That Drift or Anchor Up Its Bottom
Dweller Season- Good Luck Out There....

-------------------------------------------------
Let's Get It Started Here,,,,

Winter Flounder Season Opens Tue.3/1/05
thru Tue.5/31/05..
No Possession Limit but remember there is a
11" min.length...

Also, don't forget some other bottom feeder
seasons are also open,,
Tautog- Open Now until Tue.5/31/05 with a
4 Fish Possession Limit per day-per person
with a 14" min.length
Black SeasBass- Open Now until Wed.9/7/05
with a 25 a day Possession Limit per day-per person with a 12" min.length...

So, Catch'Em Up and Let's Hear About It,,,

Thanks,,,,,

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here is a Winter Flounder Tip Sheet Supplied
by FishermansHeadquarters - Check It Out :
Winter Flounder

·
Registered
96 Posts
Its been a long time for me when it comes to winter flounder. Most of my fishing had been from a boat for these tasty creatures. I was wondering if you could help me with sum nice land spots I could turn my 10 year old onto. Kept me outta trouble as a kid and its sumthin he enjoys with the old man.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
FishKill,,
You will need to head a little bit North to say
Barnegat Bay,, I would stop in at FishermanHeadquaters (BarnSponsor) and ask where
would be the best place to start...I am sure
they will hook you up...

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
hey guys ,played hookey today from work and went south to try for some winter flatties, and had a decent bite, 3 fish landed out of 5 bites only one keeper 13inches, fished off of the sod banks in a 10ft hole with a mud bottom, used two chumpots, had the fish literally right underneath me, fish were caught on strips of mussels, right from the banks.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
Fished the raritan today for flunndies... 8 ft of water ... 4 nice fish but thats it all day....water still 40 degrees....

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Finding flounder an impossible task in March

Published in the Asbury Park Press 03/22/05
By John Geiser

Most winter flounder fishermen agree that this is the worst fishing they have seen in March in years.
Capt. Sal Cursi, skipper of the charter boat Cathy Sea out of Sewaren, Middlesex County, said he has decided not to launch the boat until April 3.

"I love flounder fishing, and I've got charters who want to go, but I'm not going out there until the fish are biting," he said. "I didn't talk to anyone ? friends who have their boats in the water, guys fishing from the banks ? who caught a thing over the weekend."

Cursi said the water temperature reached 40 degrees in Raritan Bay over the weekend, but it was in the 30s late last week.

"This cold is setting everything back," he said. "That's all right. The flounders will be later and the bass will be later.

"I'd like to see the water temperature hit at least 49 degrees, and when it reaches 51 or 52 degrees the fishing will break wide open," he said.

Cursi made one trip the last week in March last year, and caught eight or 10 flounders. The next trip ? April 2 ? he had 110, and from there on it was good fishing until April 19 when he switched to stripers.

"I think it will start around April 10 or 12 this year, the way it looks," he said. "Usually, the guys dunking worms catch some fish around South Amboy, but they're not catching flounders or bass, and I haven't heard anything from Keyport, Morgan, Cliffwood Beach, Union Beach ? any of those spots."

Cursi said four years ago he started flounder fishing March 17, and had good fishing. The fish spawned early, and left the bay early that year.

"I'm planning to fish the same area where I had such good fishing last year," he said. "I've got the numbers plugged into my GPS, and I expect to get them there again."

He still has some flounder dates open. He fishes one tide, preferably the ebb, and a trip lasts six hours.

Capt. Tom Buban, Atlantic Star, Atlantic Highlands, started his flounder season in the Shrewsbury River over the weekend, and was disappointed.

"We didn't catch a fish," he said. "We tried the spots where we usually catch some fish early, but didn't catch anything."

Capt. Hal Hagaman, Sea Tiger II, also out of Atlantic Highlands, fished the river, anchoring on some of the traditional grounds, but did not catch a flounder.

Capt. Bill Burdge, BarVic, Point Pleasant Beach, said upper Barnegat Bay and the Manasquan River were not productive, either, over the weekend.

"We're going to try it again Friday and Saturday," he said. "Hopefully, the water temperature will come up a bit by then."

Flounder fishing was poor in Shark River and the Navesink River over the weekend, but some fish were caught in the Toms River and Oyster Creek.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got a report that the Winter Flounder action is picking up nicely in Barnegat Bay..One angler
from PA caught 18 yesterday,water temp was 48..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts