BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Feel Free To Post Your Fluke/Tog/SeaBass
Reports.As Little or As Much Info that you like..
So Catch That Drift or Anchor Up Its Bottom
Dweller Season- Good Luck Out There....

-------------------------------------------------

Ok, Isn't this the month that all those throwbacks reach legal size ?

I am waiting for a report from my friend Ron (BassCharger) who did the Flattie Thing behind
Strathmere yesterday.. Stay Tune...

·
Banned
2,143 Posts
I took my oldest son age 10 and myself out for a few hours on Sat.We fished the incoming near Margate with a total of 27 flounder and 12 keepers to 3 lbs.We fished one of our favorite spots away from the crowds.We fished with green and pink jig heads with squid and spearing.the bigger fish were caught on blue fish strips.

·
Banned
1,077 Posts
Fished on Saturday 7/30 aboard my "Bertha." Started with the fleet in Ambrose Channel, but I left after a couple of hours and 5 keepers. Just couldn't take drifting with so many boats nearby! It was a mob scene.

Ran down to a piece of rough bottom located between the Shrewsbury Rocks and the Rattlesnake wreck. Short drifts over the structure finished up my limit of fluke along with 9 keeper sea bass. 3 of my sea bass were between 16-18 inches, and I had numerous doubles and triples.

All fish were caught in 40-60 feet of water on strips of trolling squid or clams. Surprisingly, my biggest fluke was a 24.5 incher that took a clam bait on the top hook of a hi-lo rig intended for sea bass.

A few short progies, some skates, and a couple of bluefish also found the clam and squid baits irresistable.

Ran into some birdplay near the end of the Sandy Hook Channel on my way back to the barn. I stopped for about an hour to nail a handful of 6-8 pound blues on an AVA jig.

Great day on the water.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Monday fished waters behind Brigantine and AC. Hit all the spots with half dozen shorts and one keeper to show for our efforts. Saw dozens of boats with very little action. Hit two hours both sides of high tide. Had a hard time keeping the bait on the hook with all the small seabass picking at the bait the entire time.

We'll try agian tomorrow hopefully with better luck.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Lots of short flounder in Rehobeth and Indian River bays but managed to boat a 21" and 22"er Sunday morning on live finger mullet. The bigger bait seems to be producing bigger fish. The mullet I was using were about 5" long.

·
Registered
2,479 Posts
3 of us Headed out of Man. Inlet around 4 pm. Tried up around Bayhead but nothing doing accept skates. Headed over to the the Axel Carlson reef, some shorts and more skates. Last stop was around the bell bouy where my buddy got a nice 23incher. Alot of nice hits, but i wasnt hooken them. On the way in there were thousands of 4-6 inch snappers chassing spearing about a quarter mile off of the inlet. We tried throwing lures to see if anything big was lurking, but no takers. We ended the nite at some sodbanks in the bay where i landed a 20 inch striper. Tons breaking on small baitfish.

Have a good weekend

Ryan

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
fished little egg reef 8/4. 14 keeper flounder 17" to 28", 4 seabass 14" to 17", 1 8lbs bluefish lost 2 others at the boat. also lost one seabass,we did boat the head to a 6 to 7 ft shark. extremly cool to watch. happened about 10" below the surface."fought" it for about 5 sec. nice drifts. about 50 boats on the site w/everyone repeating their drifts, so i guess they were catchin too. now a little rant. to all you guys heading elsewhere, please try to say alittle further away from people drifting than say 50ft. we had two boats that were on a heading right for us. one i actually started the motor to take evasive action. thankfully they changed course 200yds from us. it's just courtesy that's all. a 28' to 35' boat running at 25 kts really throws around a 19'. sorry for the rant but it makes me feel better.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
A hardy round of Applause happens all the time in Del. Bay They want to look in your fish Box!!

·
Registered
257 Posts
i think it is real prob,not a rant..some of these 30-40 footers think we lowly fish dogs are not supposed to be any where that a pleasure boat can go so they rock our boats weather children are on board,bait knife in hand,ect....i dont know when i am with my brother in his 40 ft silver we a l w a y s give a good break to the little guy..hope some of the big boys can remember what it was like when they had them little lowly fish boats tooooooo....

·
Registered
243 Posts
I have a 29 Chris Craft Catalina, its a bimini cruiser with twin inboard 220's. I have a ten foot beam and 4 foot gunnels, just to give you a sense of size perspective. While at the OC reef last weekend a larger boat with a yellow hull whose name shall remain nameless (but I understand he won a Cape May tuna contest)came by so close and so fast on his way to a new spo that I seriously thought that we would be swamped. My friend fell backwards out of his fishing chair and hurt his elbow, fortunately that was the extent of the damage. I tried to reach him on the radio but there was no reply. I heard someone else describe him as obnoxious, but dangerous has to be added.

·
Registered
68 Posts
What kills me is the guys that do it in the Del Bay. The shore is bad enough, but there is limited space - I have been on the hook in the big D, at least 400yrds away from everyone else (chumming for blues) and have had guys come so close to the BACK of the boat , through my slick - that they snagged my line with their outdrive. Thankfully my father calmed me dowm - because I was starting to fire up the motor ang go after them - It is unbelievable to me that there are such inconsiderate morons out there.

Oh, well as a wise man once said - "There are alot of a$$holes in this world, and I know I haven't met all of them yet"

Tony

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
little egg reef and vicinity 8/12. well i guess everyone read our rant cause everyone was just plain curtious today. there were 1/3 of the boats as lst week. catching was good, keepers were not. 20 throwbacks 15" to 16". 4 @ 23 approx 4 to 5 lbs. 2 16" seabass. all the keepers were boated early, bite slowly died off. home by noon. could not locate the big blues. all the herring and small blues you could want in the inlet.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Not a DoorMat but a Rug was reported being caught over the weekend up North.

"Dave Lilly of Hazlet may have caught the largest fluke of the season yesterday in Ambrose Channel. Lilly weighed the 15 1/4-pounder at The Tackle Box in Hazlet."

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Speaking of Rugs -----

300lbs - 81"
John Beath of Monroe,WA dwarfed by a Pacific Halibut

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
The kids and I took an hour to fish behind SeaIsle this Monday. I netted some Peanut Bunker and Mullet for the trip - there is alot of bait in the water. The Flounder were eating the live Mullet like candy. I do not keep more than 4 fluke when I am the one doing the fileting so here are our first four keepers. The big one is my 11 YO sons best yet. It was bigger than my cooler measuring tape so I do not know the actual size - over 22In, it weighed in at 5 lbs. The others ar over 18In but the perspective of the shot makes them look smaller. The one next to the cooler is just over the 19" mark - also caught by my son.

·
Registered
912 Posts
Originally posted by NIGHTSTRIKES:
Not a DoorMat but a Rug was reported being caught over the weekend up North.

"Dave Lilly of Hazlet may have caught the largest fluke of the season yesterday in Ambrose Channel. Lilly weighed the 15 1/4-pounder at The Tackle Box in Hazlet."
Sorry night but you are nutz That IS a doormat to me or anyone that I know. :eek:

Brian

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Brian, I heard a picture was supposed to be in this weeks Fishermen Mag. Anyone See It Yet.. ??

I also just got word that a 13lber was taken out of PaddysHole not to long ago...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts