BASS BARN banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Who has used this VC 17(or the VC Offshore) stuff made by Interlux?

I've got this Key Hopper flats boat this year. I've got a guy in Tenn thats interested in it after the summer. He wanted it now, but I want to run it this summer. We were on the phone for quite a while talking about Key Hoppers. Last thing he says to me is "whatever you do don't bottom paint it"... I kind of figured that was coming if he wants the boat in Tenn to run down bassboats with, so I agreed with him.

I'm thinking about using this VC stuff, but I'm not going to dewax or sand the bottom. I was thinking just wash the bottom, tape it and just slap the paint on, just one coat. Hoping it will stick for the summer, keep barnacles from growing.

The question is and I see bottom paint pealing everyday. Do you think I can it off the boat with a good pressure washer before I sell it in the fall/winter? Or do you think it will fall off before the season is over?

The nice thing about trying to do this is the hull gelcoat is a dark blue so bottom paint/gelcoat staining shouldn't be a problem.. I was thinking about getting a qt of both blue and black and mixing them to match gelcoat color even closer.

I've never screwed around putting bottom paint on the wrong way..but I don't want be screwing around cleaning this thing every week.

I've seen quite a few boats painted with this VC stuff and even with it's marginal copper content it seems to work well. It's a super hard smooth finish bottom paint.

I don't know what else to do and be able to leave it sit in the water?? I was kicking around clear anti fowling spray for stern drives, but that stuff craps out half way thru the season. Being clear though there would be nothing to take off.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I knew this would stump some people, but I'll let soak awhile longer.

Jaws likes the idea... Weeds and slime I can clean. It's barnacles I don't want bitting into the gelcoat..

·
Registered
7,570 Posts
Dunk said:
I knew this would stump some people, but I'll let soak awhile longer.

Jaws likes the idea... Weeds and slime I can clean. It's barnacles I don't want bitting into the gelcoat..
They used to make a clear coat, silicon or teflon based paint (more like a wax)....was recommended for not stored in the water sailboats to make them faster...but guys who left their boat in the water between races for a couple weeks were amazed at what little growth they had and when pulled, the stuff washed right off.

Stuff should be OK right over even mold release...kinda the same thing..

Can't find it in the on-line West marine store but I'll look some more...maybe check sailboat specialty sites.

Another option might be a real soft ablative and power wash like crazy when you are done. problem is...on an unprepared bottom...especially one with any wax and I think it will peel off better than a banana.

I'm gonna call you tomorrow about your seminars or call me 780-2728....

·
Registered
20,269 Posts
Honest... I think you are stuck with a good coat of wax and pulling the boat every couple weeks and hitting it with a powerwasher ... there are a couple "Florida" boats in the area that did this for a year cause on resale they hate bottom paint down there...

Its a PIA... but with a trailer, it might just be your best option...

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
I had an 18' Wellcraft center console. The bottom was painted with that VC Offshore. The previous owner slipped it in fresh water. The way I understood it, (just as you say) it wasn't compatible with other bottom paints, so I sanded the entire bottom with an electric sander, and painted it with Pettit Unepoxy. As far as I could tell, it worked out great.... didn't have any problems with the paint holding up. One of the things I like about the Unepoxy is, it's hard and durable. It's suitable for trailering, as well as in a slip. Which is exactly what I did. One year I slipped it, the next, after a re-coat I trailered it.
Imo, if it's going in a slip, in salt water, I wouldn't chance the growth issue. Try the pressure washer and get off as much as you can, and then, if need be, sand the rest off, (or get it acid washed).

One other note. I ran that Wellcraft right after I bought it, (still had the VC). The boat had a 120 hp Johnson. I could squeek it up to 50 mph, (gps)! After I painted the bottom with the Unepoxy, the best I could do was about 44 mph. So, imo, I think there is something to that VC paint, as far as helping with speed.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Dunk, I have a question? If you feel he is a serious buyer and does not want the bottom painted, then why mess around with some scheme that may not bring the desired results and lose the sale? Personally, if I detected a boat bottom painted that the seller agreed not to, then I would question the whole deal. I'd pull it every couple of weeks or keep it on a trailer.

This is a non issue if he is just 'thinking about it' or 'kicking the tires'.

Just my 0.02

·
Registered
841 Posts
We have vc offshore on some of our work boats and the stuff is tough as nails.I agree with Glassman I think you'll play heck trying to remove it.

·
Registered
6,797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I'm just going to prep it right and paint it with black VC. I can pick it up off the trailer one side at a time with the chain hoist. Dewax and then hydrosandblast it to rough up the surface without even getting under it.

I need to get it wired and the new switch panel on the dash, but the phone keeps ringing with people buying boats and needing surveys... Not that I'm complaining at all, but between work and the lovely spring weather we've been having the boats has been on the back burner.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts