BASS BARN banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone on here recently romoved the bottom paint on their boat using a removal solvent?
was thinking of trying it instead of sanding. just worried about damaging the gelcoat using a solvent.

soda blasting would be too expensive.

·
Registered
4,259 Posts
Captain Phil
I couldn't make it to the boat show.
I've got a 26 Albemarle in Slaughter beach. I'm interested in soda blasting, barrier coat & then bottom paint (along with a detail job).
Could you send me a detailed estimate? I've got a 2 week window to get the work done (4/1 thru 4/14). I'm looking to move to Cape May on 4/14.
Thanks
George
[email protected]

·
Registered
9,119 Posts
Captain Phil
I couldn't make it to the boat show.
I've got a 26 Albemarle in Slaughter beach. I'm interested in soda blasting, barrier coat & then bottom paint (along with a detail job).
Could you send me a detailed estimate? I've got a 2 week window to get the work done (4/1 thru 4/14). I'm looking to move to Cape May on 4/14.
Thanks
George
[email protected]
Email sent.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
By solvent, I'll assume you mean paint remover. It was done this way before all this blasting came about. Use paint remover made for fiberglass. Yup, it will be messy and you might have to apply it a few times depending upon thickness. Lots of clean up afterwords.

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
Just do yourself a favor, dont take the wife out to dinner for 3 months , dont buy flowers and use that money to get your boat soda blasted! you'll never regret it!. And while your at it , pay someone to do the barrier coat too, I'll never do another as long as I live, some things are just best left to the guys that do it all the time, Just my experiance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.