BASS BARN banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my 14 years of boat ownership and keeping it in a slip, I've tried several bottom paints. Interlux ACT, Pettit and Woolsey are ones I can recall. None were really effective, to my satisfaction.

This past year, on the recommendation of a fiber glass mechanic, who also paints boats, I used Interlux Micron Extra. That is an outstanding paint. For the first time in those 14 years, I pulled my boat and did not find one barnicle on the painted area of my boat.:) I called him, thanked him and told him of my experience. He went on to tell me other paints are fine for southern waters but Micron Extra is the paint for the Delaware Bay and northern areas.

·
Registered
749 Posts
Micron Is really good paint.

I just hauled my boat out and after 2 seasons on the same 2 coats of paint I am really happy with Petit hydrocoat, its a multiseason ablative like micron but water based and was so easy to apply. I did nothing to it other than powerwash after the first season. Launched it this year and hoped for the best. I hauled it mid season just to check it and was suprised how clean the boat was. I did not used the boat much the second half of this season and it was super clean when I hauled it. I could probably get a third season out of it but its getting thin in some areas. So I will recoat in the spring and be good for 2 or 3 seasons.

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
For many years I've struggled with bottom paints of all types and manufacturers. Not so much with growth or protection problems, but with adhesion. Even with dewaxing, priming and epoxy tie-coats I still had issues with flaking and poor adhesion until I switched to Micron CSC.

For my use in Cape May, year round in the water, Micron CSC has done very well and my bottom is as smooth as the proverbial baby's behind.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You get what you pay for.Two coats of Micron Extra will last 3-4 seasons.
True. Micron Extra costs a little more but the others I tried were kaput after one season. If I get 3-4 seasons out of Micron Extra, it will be a whole lot cheaper than the others I've used.;)

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
I use Micro Extra also. This will be the first time in 4 years that I will need to repaint the full bottom. I hit the chines, rudders and underside of trim tabs each year (takes less than a quart) after the second year I paint the water line just because with the high copper content, the water line gets that green oxidized color. I used 2 coats originally one in red and the top in black. I can see the red on the chines and rudders each year that tells me it’s time to paint.
My father in law uses Petit SR-60 (60% copper) it’s about $20 a gallon cheaper and works just as well.He has the same routine as me.

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
Great to hear that!!!
I had issues for several years with growth. This past season I used Petit Trinadad. Expensive but... the boat sat from July until Nov (got a new rig). I pulled her and no growth at all!
75% copper will do that. I am sold.

·
Registered
2,158 Posts
buy it while you can, rumor has it, all these high copper based paints are going to be banned in someway, shape, or form. Again I heard its a rumor, but where there is smoke.........there's fire.

·
Registered
39,870 Posts
buy it while you can, rumor has it, all these high copper based paints are going to be banned in someway, shape, or form. Again I heard its a rumor, but where there is smoke.........there's fire.
Yep..I'm sure. Still for the time being.. ;)
The boat was so clean when I pulled her, looked like the day I took her down for the season.

·
Registered
11,868 Posts
I've tried most of the expensive stuff with no luck down here. After reading some reviews I tried West Marine CCP on my latest boat...I hear it is made by Petit(?). I'm on my 7th month with it. I haven't pulled it to check yet but my top speed hasn't changed at all so my fingers are crossed. With the other paints I used the boat would be full of growth by now and noticeably slower.

I also added a bottle of cayenne pepper to the paint before applying, not sure if it works or not but for a couple bucks why not. Some old locals swear by it.

·
Registered
6,808 Posts
The paint co's are as bad as the oil companies. 10-15yrs ago there was guy in Pittsburgh that came up with a cayenne pepper paint. Both Pettit and Interlux bought out the patent on it. I remember even the Navy was testing it with positive results. I guess they can't figure out how to charge you enough for pepper in the paint to make what they do with all other crap they have in it?

·
Banned
7,160 Posts
Last year I had my hull soda blasted, barrier coated, and then painted with Micron CSC. This paint was recommended by Capt Phil of CPS Marine, who painted the hull.

Slipped at Rusty Joe's for the season.

No growth, and very clean.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Second season with Micron and when I pulled in Sept it was clean as a whistle. Funny I associate that smell (very distinct smell) with spring, like i do with fresh cut grass and stinky mulch. I also use the Micron clear spray for the t tabs and the outboard bracket below the water line.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Second season with Micron and when I pulled in Sept it was clean as a whistle. Funny I associate that smell (very distinct smell) with spring, like i do with fresh cut grass and stinky mulch. I also use the Micron clear spray for the t tabs and the outboard bracket below the water line.
Never heard of Micron clear. I did get barnicles on my outboard bracket that attaches to the transom and the transducer. I wonder if you can use Micron clear on a transducer without affecting its performance?:confused:

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
Never heard of Micron clear. I did get barnicles on my outboard bracket that attaches to the transom and the transducer. I wonder if you can use Micron clear on a transducer without affecting its performance?:confused:
Not sure about that, but they sell it in a spray can (its actually called Interlux Trilux 33). I got it at West Marine, but maybe a sponser has it if your interested. Anyone else know if it would affect the transducer?

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
For mutliseason the best is Micron CSC or Extra, extra has a Biolux(Irgarol) that stops the slime. Single the best is ACT which also has Irgarol.

Cayenne pepper does work, but it only lasts about 2 weeks, but it can't hurt to add it in. I have seen the tests where the paint companies have done research on it.

As for the paints with the high copper content, you are paying for all that copper that is not needed. The better paints are the ones that regulate the proper amount of copper needed to protect the boat over the season or seasons. High copper paints have a high release of copper at first and slowly decrease as the boat is in the water, where as paints like Micron release a smaller amount of copper over a longer period.

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
For mutliseason the best is Micron CSC or Extra, extra has a Biolux(Irgarol) that stops the slime. Single the best is ACT which also has Irgarol.

Cayenne pepper does work, but it only lasts about 2 weeks, but it can't hurt to add it in. I have seen the tests where the paint companies have done research on it.

As for the paints with the high copper content, you are paying for all that copper that is not needed. The better paints are the ones that regulate the proper amount of copper needed to protect the boat over the season or seasons. High copper paints have a high release of copper at first and slowly decrease as the boat is in the water, where as paints like Micron release a smaller amount of copper over a longer period.

Excellent informative post. Thank you.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,270 Posts
ive had aquagaurd on my boat for 2 seasons now. i didnt even repaint this past year, just freshened up the water line. the boat sat from august 13th until december 11th. figured i was gonna have a mess on my hands when they pulled it. nope. no barnacles, no worms. just a light slime from the boat sitting there. once over with the power washer and the paint looks like it did when the boat was launched last may. you can see the lighter colored paint above the water line. i'll never use anything else

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.