BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i may have asked before what the best bottom paint is but i don't think i included the fact that the boat would spend most of its time on a trailer with the exception of a few weeks spent in the water while on vacation.

so with that tid bit of info what do you guys think would work best?

i want to paint bottom in the next few weeks. and how much drying time is needed before i put it back on trailer ??

thanks
33#ER

·
Registered
3,668 Posts

·
Registered
9,118 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Aquaguard is the best. easy to put on and only comes off when its in the water. At the end of the season you have no build up on ur boat. u clean it the next year and easily recoat it. It can be placed over existing paint. Just make sure u chip off the old. I bought a gallon 2 years ago for $110 from South Jersey Marine Outlet. I painted a 34ft silverton with a gallon and still had some left.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Aquaguard is the best. easy to put on and only comes off when its in the water. At the end of the season you have no build up on ur boat. u clean it the next year and easily recoat it. It can be placed over existing paint. Just make sure u chip off the old. I bought a gallon 2 years ago for $110 from South Jersey Marine Outlet. I painted a 34ft silverton with a gallon and still had some left.

So if u barely keep ur boat in the water. I would suggest Aquaguard. No build up and easy to apply.Also keeps marine life off the bottom completly.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Bottom paint

AQUAGARD FOR THE BUCKS CAN'T BE BEAT,FIVE YRS USING IT IN swh AREA NO ISSUES BOTTOM REMAINS CLEAN!! gOES ON COVERS REAL WELL !:thumbsup:

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
Aquagard is great paint and we sell a ton of it but if you are trailering it most of the time you would be better off with a hard paint.

·
Registered
38 Posts
A harder paint wont come off on the rollers but, if u leave the boat out of the water for over 30 days. The anti fouling becomes inaffective unlike the aquagard. So i personally would use the aquagard. Plus when ur ready to put more on later. theres no chipping, u just recover!!!! U could get away with using house paint if your trailering it all the time. The longer you leave the boat out of water the more copper u loose in the paint.

·
Registered
4,022 Posts
Don't paint it at all. If the longest the boat will stay in is 3 weeks I wouldn't. Simply pressure wash the little bit of scum you will start to get at the end of 3 weeks. When you paint you will loose speed and the boat will never look as good as before it is painted. Unless you use an ablative type paint you will need to repaint before every 3 week vacation to receive any benifit at all from painting.

·
Registered
3,668 Posts
With regular paints you have 60 days to launch. With water based like Aquagard you have up to a year but once in the water and then out both will start to expire antifouling properties, so it a toss up. As for not painting it I would not recommend that. Slime and growth can grow within a week esp with warmer water and barnacles will grow in as little as two weeks. You could end up with more problems then not painting it and you would lose more speed with a ton of barnacles on the hull.

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Don't paint it at all. If the longest the boat will stay in is 3 weeks I wouldn't. Simply pressure wash the little bit of scum you will start to get at the end of 3 weeks. When you paint you will loose speed and the boat will never look as good as before it is painted. Unless you use an ablative type paint you will need to repaint before every 3 week vacation to receive any benifit at all from painting.
if i didn't need to do it already being painted and needing repaint believe me i wouldn't

PUI a little :wave:

·
Registered
5,788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
just looking for the toughest (hardest ) paint that will hold up to being put on and of the trailer often

thanks guys
33#ER

1 - 20 of 21 Posts