BASS BARN banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well of course the temp drops 30 deg when I take off to work on the boat. What temp is safe to bottom paint the boat and outdrive?

·
Registered
4,267 Posts
Well of course the temp drops 30 deg when I take off to work on the boat. What temp is safe to bottom paint the boat and outdrive?
I am in the same boat. I wish I had got it ready and painted it yesterday. My Micron CSC says to have the hull and air temp above 50 f to apply. If temp drops below 50 f during the 16hr drying period extend drying to 36 hrs. Right now I doubt my hull temp will be above 50 f again until Saturday. Should I risk it? I see guys painting in 35 f weather a dealerships but maybe that's why you see boats with flaking paint? Today Wednesday at 1 pm the hull is 42 f on bottom near the transom and 49f near the bow near the waterline. Outside air temp is 41 f. What do you pros on here that do spring painting think?

·
Vendor
951 Posts
I am in the same boat. I wish I had got it ready and painted it yesterday. My Micron CSC says to have the hull and air temp above 50 f to apply. If temp drops below 50 f during the 16hr drying period extend drying to 36 hrs. Right now I doubt my hull temp will be above 50 f again until Saturday. Should I risk it? I see guys painting in 35 f weather a dealerships but maybe that's why you see boats with flaking paint? Today Wednesday at 1 pm the hull is 42 f on bottom near the transom and 49f near the bow near the waterline. Outside air temp is 41 f. What do you pros on here that do spring painting think?
We won't paint a boat unless the air temp is above 50 degrees during the application. During the drying period it can dip below that but it really needs to be above 50 when you are applying it. Most paints specify this in their instructions also.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts