BASS BARN banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was fishing for largemouth in a creek off the river and seen alot of bass. Caught tons of little bass then seen a fish sitting on the bottom. Threw a zoom in front of it and watched it hit the lure. Turned out to be a 27 inch bowfin. Cool to watch it eat and it looked prehistoric.

·
Registered
49 Posts
cool thats one fightin fish ... almost looks like the Snakehead too ...
saw a 28 incher last year, fought the guy even when it was in a bucket waiting to get pictures taken hahahah tough brute:)

·
Registered
628 Posts
haymrfish, funny that you mention how they look like snakeheads that's what i was thinking because last year fish&game put out a flyer to help anglers identify these very similar looking fish for fear of people killing the bowfin instead of the snakeheads...petee,my father caught a bowfin a few years back on the river I believe wierd looking fish. just incase you want to see the fact sheet. Good fishin
http://www.fws.gov/midwest/fisheries/library/fact-snakehead.pdf

·
Registered
70 Posts
I'm getting a bowfin i caught in champlain stuffed. They will eat enything, we were cutting up perch and when that ran out we were using turkey from the fridge :p

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Pretty cool fact sheet. it was definitly a bowfin the dorsal fin is way back near the tail.

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Sounds like a nice day out. There are many big bowfins in the back waters that feed the Big D. just south of the Navy Yard on the NJ side. I believe at one time a few years back the NJ state record for the bowfin was taken from this area. I've caught a few in the 5-7 lb. range. Down south they have bowfin tournaments just like the bass tournaments. There are a couple of websites about it and also some recipes for bowfin.

·
Registered
4,772 Posts
Those nasty, smelly bowfin really enjoyed dining on my $1 a piece shiners while I was bass fishing the Rodman Resovoir in central Florida a few years ago.:mad: But they sure gave one heck of a fight!:D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts