BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's the best braid line to use in the bay? I never have used it, so any help would be great. Also leader what lb test? Brands you use would be great too. What's the benefit of braid? It's nice to post and talk fishing again. :D

·
Registered
5,065 Posts
The best braid line? I don't know but I buy Spectra P line in 1500 yard spools and found it to be long lasting. You'll probbly get a lot of opinion on the brand. The pound test of your leader depends on the size of the fish. For Flounder, croakers, weakies, 20# test leader is sufficient. For Drum or stripers, I go with 40 or 50 # test. The advantage of braid over mono, is that braid has no memory, (it doesn't coil to the form it had while it was on the spool). Braid doesn't get nicks or frays like mono. I use Seaguar Fluorocarbon for leaders. It is nearly invisable in the water, so fish can't detect it. How much more effective is it over plain mono? I can't give you an answer on that.:huh:

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The best braid line? I don't know but I buy Spectra P line in 1500 yard spools and found it to be long lasting. You'll probbly get a lot of opinion on the brand. The pound test of your leader depends on the size of the fish. For Flounder, croakers, weakies, 20# test leader is sufficient. For Drum or stripers, I go with 40 or 50 # test. The advantage of braid over mono, is that braid has no memory, (it doesn't coil to the form it had while it was on the spool). Braid doesn't get nicks or frays like mono. I use Seaguar Fluorocarbon for leaders. It is nearly invisable in the water, so fish can't detect it. How much more effective is it over plain mono? I can't give you an answer on that.:huh:
TtHANKS FOR THE TIME TO ANSWER.

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
The biggest difference is there is NO stretch in braid. You feel every tap. You can usually tell what kind of bottom you are going over or anchored over. 30lb is all you need but the price is the same for 40lb and the difference in size is negligible. Went to 40lb just because I feel its a little more durable for fishing rocks and stuff. Used to use 30# flouro. Switched to 50# last year after getting bit off a couple times. Talked to BT and he used 50# and didn't seem to affect him. Didn't seem to affect me either last year. The flouro thing is more of a confidence thing for me. I want to change to mono because most times the visibility is so bad that I can't imagine that it makes a difference and I believe most of the fishing I do is scent fishing anyway.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Braid doesn't get nicks or frays like mono. I use Seaguar Fluorocarbon for leaders.

I have to disagree with you on this. Briad can get nicks and weak spots. I do alot of "sticky fishing" meaning I fish areas that have rough bottoms such as wrecks and rocks. Everytime we go I make sure the first 20 or so yards of braid is fresh as it can be from the spool. I buy big yard spools just like you for this reason and pack as much braid on top of my mono backing as possible.

Mako, as far as which braid is the best its all about what your willing to pay for. Ive been using power pro for the past few years and like it. Ive used others such as cabelas ripcord and didnt like it as much as power pro. As far as leader goes i prefer seagur fluro.

·
Registered
4,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have to disagree with you on this. Briad can get nicks and weak spots. I do alot of "sticky fishing" meaning I fish areas that have rough bottoms such as wrecks and rocks. Everytime we go I make sure the first 20 or so yards of braid is fresh as it can be from the spool. I buy big yard spools just like you for this reason and pack as much braid on top of my mono backing as possible.

Mako, as far as which braid is the best its all about what your willing to pay for. Ive been using power pro for the past few years and like it. Ive used others such as cabelas ripcord and didnt like it as much as power pro. As far as leader goes i prefer seagur fluro.
Seems like everyone has switched so I'm going to give it a try. Thanks

·
Registered
226 Posts
Been using Power Pro for about 12-14 years now and love it. Still feel weird when I use a rod with mono on it. Feels like a rubber band to me now. For flounder I use 20-30lb in red. For my striper trolling rods I use 50lb in green or red. Like said above pick up the 1500 yard reel does multiple rods. Maybe try a 150 yards and see if you like it first.

Couple things to know before you try. Need to tie knots that work with the braid you buy. For PP I have great success with a double Palomar or a fishermans knot but with twice the amount of twist. Also it will cut right through your finger if you dont handle it proper. Have learned that one the hard way a couple times. Keep a couple rods rigged with mono for less experienced friends so there is no accidents.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
I'm using 30# and 50# sufix for bass and drum, 20# for flounder and small stuff. Heavy leaders are 50# Triplefish flouro. Lite leaders are Ande 20# mono. I like the braid because you can feel everything.

My equipment came out of storage in 2011, after 3 1/2 years in the rafters.
(All of the reels were spooled in 2005 and 2006.) The top 15 or so yards were stripped off and used. Knock wood, no failures.

I do check the braid after each trip. If it starts to look questionable, I strip it down to good line. Leaders get canned quick if i see anything...........

If you go to braid, you'll wonder why you waited so long.:D

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
I use PP 8-30 lb for bass and fluke...takes a little to get used to it but once you do youll like it...another thing I noticed it with the zero stretch I brake more rods every year..Im a hook setter and send a couple rods back to G Loomis every year I believe because of the no stretch...a softer rod is better with this line...I use pink Yozori and Seagar 30 lb for bass and 30/40 lb mono for fluke...

·
Registered
147 Posts
Could someone please explain the purpose and use of mono backing under braided line? I have used mono all of my life and am thinking about switching over to braid. Thanks in advance for your help.:)

·
Registered
280 Posts
Could someone please explain the purpose and use of mono backing under braided line? I have used mono all of my life and am thinking about switching over to braid. Thanks in advance for your help.:)

When braid was first introduced to the market the reels in the industry wernt braid compliant. If you notice on most newer reels/spools it will say braid ready. The reason is because of the zero stretch and silicone coating on the line. It can slip while under pressure. Another words, if your drag is max and you pull back on your rod it will pull line off as if your drag wasnt set. Adding a few yards of mono(i add about 50) uni to uni knot to your braid connection and this will stop the problem.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I brake more rods every year..Im a hook setter and send a couple rods back to G Loomis every year I believe because of the no stretch.

Wow, breaking high quality rods on hook sets? it must look like your ripping a bumper off a car when you set the hook:p Ive seen guys fishing next to us doing this technique only to miss a fish. Another reason why i prefer circle hooks.

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Wow, breaking high quality rods on hook sets? it must look like your ripping a bumper off a car when you set the hook:p Ive seen guys fishing next to us doing this technique only to miss a fish. Another reason why i prefer circle hooks.
Nah not that bad...and I obviously have no problem sticking a hook in their jaw....circle hooks suck...

·
Registered
4,133 Posts
The only rods that get braid on my boat are my fluke/wreck rods and my tuna jigging gear.

Braid isn't necessary for chunking bass in the bay, I feel more hooks get pulled with braid.

I use 12 and 20lb momoi Diamond mono and 20-30lb leaders on all of our bass rods.. Flouro or Mono, I haven't seen a difference in bites. I use 7/0-8/0 Gami or Owner Octopus style hooks. I don't like circles.

For jigging, bucktailing, wrecking ect... Braid most definitely has it's advantages. 30lb braid is more than adequate for inshore work. My tuna jigging gear gets all 80lb Jerry Brown hollowcore. I'm partial to all the JB products.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Don't waste money on flouro in the DE bay. The fish can't see anything down there anyway. We use mono leader, except for maybe old flouro that I'm not going to take offshore. It works fine.

·
Registered
5,784 Posts

Also braid is very thin. You can put like 300 yds of 50 lb braid on most reels, it's equivelent to like 12 lb mono. So fill the spool halfway with some cheap mono, then put on 150 yds of braid

1 - 20 of 25 Posts