BASS BARN banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this has been discussed before, but I must be getting old and can't remember. What braid, stren or Power Pro is reccommended for a spinning reel and will electricial tape (or something better) work well as backing to stop slip? Don't want to use up line capacity with mono backing.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I like Power Pro. You have to put on some mono. There is never a need to spool up a spinning reel with 100% braid, because you will never be casting beyond the knot. I only use a 150 yard shot of braid on spinning reels . The main purpose is to increase casting distance on a spinning reel and you will never cast over 450 feet with a spinning reel.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I agree, if you're worried about line capacity, you should be using a conventional. But to answer your question, I've used duct tape to hold the braid in place but I've found that scate board tape works well too... the friction created won't allow the braid to spin.

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
I have to disagree mako,

That 150 yard spool that was original at the start of the season will most likely be down to 100 yards or less after a wind knot and after stripping off line that may be frayed or other problems that may occur while fishing. Depending on how mush you fish a what you put the line through you will loose line and by the end of the season you will have to buy another spool of 150.
I don't put anything less then 300 yards of PP on any of my reels. Give me a 3 oz. AOK t-hex and my 10 footer and I can guarantee that I can cast over 150 yards with it. There are guys on here that can cast 8 and bait 150 yeards or more without any problems. Now all of this is different from a boat but I still don't want to see the knot....EVER.
I now buy the bulk spools and load my reels to the max. I still use mono backing but you don't need much. Just enough to cover the spool.

Stren super braid or PP have both been good to me but I am a Power pro guy. I do have stren on one of my plugging setups and I will continue to use the same line this year becasue I loaded it from the begining with 300 yards.

·
Banned
2,856 Posts
Originally posted by Makojoe0317:
I agree if you are fishing the surf, a 300 yard shot is probably ideal, but not neccessary if fishing from a yak or boat.
Yes a agree but I still like to load my reels with braid rather then seeing that damn knot.
And i like to use the braid for 3 or four years. I just relined a covetional that had the some pp on it for 4.5 years. I have more trust in that old line then in any new line that I put on.

Good topic though.

·
Registered
388 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Great insights guys! Thanks for all the replies.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts