BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Does anyone thing the color of braid matters? I'm partial to moss green and smoke but, I want to distiguish the lb tests on some of my reels by color, Does anyone find any color less productive than others ? I'll be buying 2/1500 yd bulk spools in 30 & 40 lb test ,all my 20 is Smoke and my 50 is green don't want to buy a color that spooks fish.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
I don't think it matters at all

Yellow on Avet SX for Tog
Yellow on Two Stradic 4000's
Red and Green on a bunch of BR 3500's & 4500's, Avet SX's and Penn SS's

They all catch fish for me but I also use triple fish mono leader anywhere from 3'-10' depending on what I'm fishing for.

·
Registered
19,702 Posts
I'm trying yellow this year.:thumbsup:

Did red and green so why not, LOL.

I'm not sure the fish in my target zone even see my line.:D

·
Registered
1,586 Posts
I haven't seen one color out fish the other, I fish with blue, red and yellow, just to identify lb. tst on reel. I like the yellow when trolling easier to see. I Also use a 5-10 ft. leader.

would be an interesting research project for someone:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Braid color does it matter

Only if you want to recognize your lines or distinguish between tests & styles on your reels!
Most TS it anyway ,I've used all colors with leaders ,no differance ever noted in the last 20 seasons!:cool:

·
Registered
1,788 Posts
Most of the time you are using a leader long enough to hide your mainline anyway. Used green and switched to red when I found out it is the first color to disappear in the water. Back to green now just because thats what the store had and I didn't notice a difference one way or the other. I fish the Delaware Bay it is so murky in the strike zone I fish that you could probably fish fluorescent main lines.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
I can see the advantages to using yellow or white, I just cannot bring myself to spool up with it. When I used to fish the bridges more I was gonna spool up with white.

How many different LB test are you using on identical reels/spools that you need them color coded? You can tell the difference between 50/35/20 and you know the manufacturer based on the fade.

Nice sleek surf set up. No fancy buttwraps, no colorful guide wraps, black van staal and YELLOW braid....no way...

RyanF

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 · (Edited)
How many different LB test are you using on identical reels/spools that you need them:D color coded? You can tell the difference between 50/35/20 and you know the manufacturer based on the fade.

Nice sleek surf set up. No fancy buttwraps, no colorful guide wraps, black van staal and YELLOW braid....no way...

RyanF
Ryan I have 2, 5000 stradics, w/ 4 spools 2, 3500 BT's, 2 4500 BT's, 2, 650 PENN's, 2, 310 PENN GT's, I would like to have one with heavier one lighter, I have so many reels not just surf reels. They all need respooling , all but my plugging and 2 bait sticks. I was wanting to have , 20, 30, 40 , and 50 lb line classes as I boat fish just about 3 weekends a month thru the spring , summer , and fall. Both inside and outside along with trolling. The 20 and 50 lb classes I have covered, doing it now so I'm ready for. The spring

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
Power Pro 50 lb is like the diameter of 12lb mono....just use 50 for everything. makes not tieing easier and less tangles than the thin stuff. I use 50 lb PP for flounder, weakfish, kingfish, sea bass etc.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Power Pro 50 lb is like the diameter of 12lb mono....just use 50 for everything. makes not tieing easier and less tangles than the thin stuff. I use 50 lb PP for flounder, weakfish, kingfish, sea bass etc.
50 lb braid is great for deep water fluking,, no so great at tossing a black bomber past the third curl at low tide. 20 lb braid isn't so good at trolling 9rs with 89z drails, but its great for bouncing a 1/4 oz bucktail in the backbay. See my point ?

·
Registered
5,784 Posts
50 lb braid is great for deep water fluking,, no so great at tossing a black bomber past the third curl at low tide. 20 lb braid isn't so good at trolling 9rs with 89z drails, but its great for bouncing a 1/4 oz bucktail in the backbay. See my point ?

Gotcha, I don't cast for anything. Drift, anchor or jig

·
Registered
6,515 Posts
Ryan I have 2, 5000 stradics, w/ 4 spools 2, 3500 BT's, 2 4500 BT's, 2, 650 PENN's, 2, 310 PENN GT's, I would like to have one with heavier one lighter, I have so many reels not just surf reels. They all need respooling , all but my plugging and 2 bait sticks. I was wanting to have , 20, 30, 40 , and 50 lb line classes as I boat fish just about 3 weekends a month thru the spring , summer , and fall. Both inside and outside along with trolling. The 20 and 50 lb classes I have covered, doing it now so I'm ready for. The spring
Shimano whore!

RyanF

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Gotcha, I don't cast for anything. Drift, anchor or jig
Maybe it's just me, but aside from a hookset, casting is the most fun part of fishing. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Maybe it's just me, but aside from a hookset, casting is the most fun part of fishing. :thumbsup:
Especially if its sightcasting to feeding Bass or Blues .:thumbsup: on the fishfinder or better yet on top, JZ can't wait for those racer blues to invade the bay, those are the best eaing through out the whole season.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Especially if its sightcasting to feeding Bass or Blues .:thumbsup: on the fishfinder or better yet on top, JZ can't wait for those racer blues to invade the bay, those are the best eaing through out the whole season.
I've tried on several occasions, but I just can't get into eating the blues. Besides, when those racers are in the bay, it's time for me to be out on the wrecks looking for Cod and Tog. :thumbsup: :fighting: I'd love to say Sea Bass too, but evidently not this year. :(

Maybe. I troll, chunk, chum, or fish on anchor. I don't cast to tuna, sharks, drum, stripers, sea bass, etc
Casting to Stripers is fun! :thumbsup: Casting at bunker so you can snag em and drop em for Stripers is fun too! :thumbsup:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts