BASS BARN banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
What do guys go with? What's the lightest and what's the heaviest? Just curious. Looking for the ideal strength to fish the rocks and fish to 60 feet or so. Thanks again- Pat:)

·
Registered
6,298 Posts
I have 30 -50# on all my rigs and generally use the 50 for wreck toggin, I generally use 30# leader so I can break off rigs that get stuck and keep my braid. 50 # leader works too because the braid is much stronger.

·
Registered
12,820 Posts
I use 50 as well-easier to tie the uni to uni topshot in the wind

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
50lb-65lb braid simply because I can't think of a reason to go lighter. All sizes of braid are so thin compared to mono, why go light?

50lb mono for a topshot because I feel it gives much better abrasion resistance than the braid if it touches the wreck.

40lb mono for all the rigs as that is what will break when I get snagged, which will happen.

·
Registered
1,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Would 30 lb sufix work? Bought my Fish poison rod (ml). got a new brand new shimANO TORIUM 14 reel and was hoping to pair it with the neon lime sufix 832 braid! If not, I'll put it one of my other reels. Strictly lookin to fish jetties out to wrecks 3 miles out for fluke and tog! Thanks for your replies guys!:)

·
Registered
4,379 Posts
The only problem with the heaver braid like 50lb test. If you get it caught in the wreak. You have to break it off. I have watched guys break rod tips off. You can't wrap it around your hand and break it off ether. It will cut you before breaking. I carry a wood dowel for that but any hard piece of tool or rod but will work.

The best part is a big fish can be hauled out from in the wreak.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
Would 30 lb sufix work? .......
I don't see why it wouldn't work. Should be fine. But on a real big fish you'd probably feel better if it were stronger line.

Is there any reason why you don't want to use heavier?

The only problem with the heaver braid like 50lb test. If you get it caught in the wreak. You have to break it off. I have watched guys break rod tips off. You can't wrap it around your hand and break it off ether. It will cut you before breaking. I carry a wood dowel for that but any hard piece of tool or rod but will work.

The best part is a big fish can be hauled out from in the wreak.
Unless they are tying their terminal tackle right to the braid, their leader material should be breaking.

Also, if they are breaking rod tips, they must not be holding the rod upside down.

·
Registered
9,922 Posts
How long a top shot do you guys use?

I do 8-10' tied on with a slim beauty knot so I can reel it right through the eyes. Then as I break off I can retie dropper loops and surgeons for the weight as needed.

·
Registered
62,417 Posts
How long a top shot do you guys use?
I'm constantly cutting off a few feet of leader if it becomes nicked up at all, so I put on about 20'-30' of 40lb-50lb mono.

·
Registered
15,264 Posts
50lb-65lb braid simply because I can't think of a reason to go lighter. All sizes of braid are so thin compared to mono, why go light?

50lb mono for a topshot because I feel it gives much better abrasion resistance than the braid if it touches the wreck.

40lb mono for all the rigs as that is what will break when I get snagged, which will happen.

This is the way I do it also.

You can use mono but I like to know what is down there and braid gives me that feel.

·
Registered
13,393 Posts
I've seen a lot of big blackfish taken on my boat, including a 19.5 pounder and 23.5 pounder. You'd be amazed at the punishment a fish that is 8 plus pounds let alone 10 plus or 15 plus pounds will put on tackle. On those big fish, some times all you can do is hold on while he beats the death outta you and you have to hope that he doesn't hang you up or break you off. A very experienced blackfisherman had an 11lber with me today and busted another off of equal size and had a gorilla hooked up that he couldn't do anything with that broke him off.

All that said, I go with 50lb braid and 10ft of 50lb top shot. Loop to loop a short length of 50lb fluoro to a 4/0 gami octo. Even with that set up, big boys will take you for a ride. Big tog are no joke! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,522 Posts
Noway would I go with anything less than 50# leader. Most times I go with 60. Hook up some big tog that pin you to the gunnel and you will wish you had at least 50. I feel 30 is way too light esp if you fishing a sticky wreck.

·
Registered
629 Posts
What do guys go with? What's the lightest and what's the heaviest? Just curious. Looking for the ideal strength to fish the rocks and fish to 60 feet or so. Thanks again- Pat:)
braid for blackfish- No way - fresh quality mono is all you need. learn to feel the bite.When the right one starts bulldogging you will be glad to have the stretch.

·
Registered
6,121 Posts
braid for blackfish- No way - fresh quality mono is all you need. learn to feel the bite.When the right one starts bulldogging you will be glad to have the stretch.
Ten ounces of lead ,80 foot drops, pulling current and a, heaving sea , I'll take braid and a ten foot leader of mono and FEEL the thump of that bite.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts