BASS BARN banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do you still put mono under the braid even though the reel says "braid ready" (ex. penn slammer) ?

Robby J.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Yes!
or you can use electrical tape,sports tape etc..............
It acts as a cushion for the braided lines.So it can be wrapped tightly.
Without this cushion,the braid may have a tendency to slip on the spool.
Meaning the entire mass of braid will move around the stem of the spool.
You don't need much.

·
Registered
4,337 Posts
Sudsrat said:
Yes!
or you can use electrical tape,sports tape etc..............
It acts as a cushion for the braided lines.So it can be wrapped tightly.
Without this cushion,the braid may have a tendency to slip on the spool.
Meaning the entire mass of braid will move around the stem of the spool.
You don't need much.
I also add the mono so as not to have to fill a spool with braid yikes$$$.I usually try to put 200 yds braid over equal diameter mono so as to fill the spool.

FC:D

·
Registered
938 Posts
most of the larger sized spinning reels will gobble up 300yds of braid with
no problem. i also put electrical tape on first, then mono, then braid.

·
Registered
78 Posts
i also do mono on reel and braid on the mono, i have a pen ssg550, i'm new to the sport but everyone i have asked told me to do this as the same answers your getting from these old salts. i have a slammer also but it is big one i don't use it much since i want to do nothing but lures now.

·
Registered
391 Posts
castaway- I fish a 460 slammer, penn 550ssg & a vs150. I always put enough mono backing to cover the spool then the rest braid. I tie mono-braid with a uni to uni knot(if not sure- do a search on uni knots). This is what works for me and my penns/vs's. I don't care for electrical tape as a backing as I've had it come loose when getting constantly wet/dry etc. Just make sure you put some kind of backing on it as you'll do some damage to your spool without it. Try a couple of recommendations and see what for works for YOU! Good luck!

·
Registered
4,017 Posts
Depending on how much braid you want on the reel, I would use the elec. tape. If you want less braid, use mon backing. I like the tape.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts