BASS BARN banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thinking of trying braided line on a couple of my reels. Any problems and what are the best knots to use. Joining leader etc.

·
Banned
9,261 Posts
2 fishes,

Welcome to the BassBarn.Com.
Glad To Have You Aboard...
This is How I Connect Braid and Mono/Leader etc.

Here is A Link From PowerPro
for other Braided Knots Also..
Braided Knots

[ 02-13-2004, 09:39 AM: Message edited by: NIGHTSTRIKES ]

·
Registered
1,828 Posts
the uni to uni connection works well, I personally use the albright to connect braid to mono, and palomar to connect to swivel, snap etc.....

·
Registered
544 Posts
I haven't tried it but was watching show this morning and they said they use a bimini twist on the braid, then albright. But the uniknot is probably easier. Anyone tried bimini on braid??

·
Registered
298 Posts
use what nightstrikes pictured, but remember that contrary to the pictures, you can tie each uni individually, though i hear the knot maintains 107% strength if you get a qualified partner and tie them simultaneously. it's a gestalt thing. using spit to lubricate your knots is of more import, however.

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
The Uni to uni connection works great, however you have to remember hat the wraps from the graater diameter monofilament line will leave a pretty good sized knot in the line. the albright will make a much smoother connection which will run thru your tip much easier.

·
Registered
2,554 Posts
I use the double uni knot to join the lines. Be sure to retie it after a while since no matter what knot you tie,passing through the guides does wear the mono and it will weaken.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Get a product called UV Knot Sense. This is a really cool, clear glue that you put over the knot to harden it and smooth it out so it goes through your guides better.

What is cool about this product, is that it stays very pliable as long as you keep it out of the direct sunlight. As soon as you place the knot and glue into direct sunlight, it "immediately" sets firm. I mean quickly. This will insure that the knot does not fail and it will help your knot get through the guides better.

[ 02-15-2004, 11:25 AM: Message edited by: kzcqch ]

·
Registered
2,165 Posts
I did connect the braid line to a backing of mono using two biminis and then sizing a piece
of dacron ober the connection. I used 40# mono
followed by 60 # braid and place a sleeve of
80# dacron over it. I threaded the dacron onto
the braid before I tied the Bimini. I will
say the bimini was a little harsh on the hands
when I tied it but was manageable.

·
Registered
2,719 Posts
It depends on if you plan on using this line to cast with or just bump baits off the bottom for flounder and seabass.

I prefer Power-Pro for casting (fewer "wind-knots") but for bottom fishing I use FINS. FINS has a funky weave to their braid that allows much better resistance to knot-slippage.

For line-to-line splices, I use the Uni-Knot.
For terminal knots to swivels, hooks, etc I use the Uni-Knot except that I go thru the hook-eye or swivel twice before I tie-on and snug up the Uni-Knot (I was taught this trick by a buncha ol' time bottom rod-n-reel grouper fishermen down h'yar).

'Ceptin' for gittin' rocked onced or twiced, I hain't never been busted off yet with this h'yar knot.

Catch

[ 02-15-2004, 10:50 PM: Message edited by: CATCH-ALL ]

·
Registered
298 Posts
i've tried that uv stuff on leader/fly line connections and in my experience it cracks and falls off pretty quickly. never tried it on braid/leader, afraid of guide damage. just make sure your uni knots are small and clean, the soft pp tag will be leading the way thru the guides, and the tag of the flouro/mono should be nipped nice and short (after firm tightening). obviously, as low a test as you can go on the leader helps issues of bulkiness. once you get good at the knot you won't even feel it go thru the guides.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts